PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Our Next SMU QB

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Our Next SMU QB

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:17 pm

Can someone with knowledge of each of our QBs do some comparison of their strengths and weaknesses?

1) Rafe Peavey
2) DJ Gillins
3) Charlie Brewer
4) Tyler Page

Respectfully I am not interested in including Ben Hicks in this list. I have seen enough of Ben Hicks. I think we all know what we have with Hicks. I am more interested in our "next" QB.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Re: Our Next SMU QB

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:44 pm

I am more interested in the next topic.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:49 pm

Depends on whether we'll be graded on this assignment
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyTime » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Just a few quick questions before I get started...

Would you like this in essay format?

If so, Single Spaced or Double spaced?

When is this due?

Can I include Ben Hicks if I really want to?

Can I submit my answer in powerpoint using a matrix as follows?

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OLfan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:29 pm

PonyTime wrote:Just a few quick questions before I get started...

Would you like this in essay format?

If so, Single Spaced or Double spaced?

When is this due?

Can I include Ben Hicks if I really want to?

Can I submit my answer in powerpoint using a matrix as follows?

Classic!! LMAO
OLfan
Junior Varsity

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:36 pm

Look I was just wanting to generate a topic comparing our "Next" QBs. Might not have used the grammar or tone that you wanted me to use Ponytime. Sorry to let you down Ponytime.... :) I will take your posts as you don't know what each of the next QBs bring to the table. I am not the expert on our "Next" QBs either. I have not seen these guys play in person. The only thing that I have to go on so far is what some people have said here on ponyfans.com or maybe watching football highlight videos that are online.

Here is hoping that someone, maybe Stallion, can enlighten us on our next SMU QB. I just did not think that it was important to include Ben Hicks in the discussion since we all already know what we have with Hicks. Personally I want to turn the page on Hicks and talk about our "Next" SMU QB.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby whitwiki » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:44 pm

Constantly looking to freshmen or other newcomers is a leading indicator of failure
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:49 pm

And, like it or not, adapting to D1 speed of the game is not easy, and we only have 2 QBs that have experienced it. Hicks and Colbert. Personally I think someone else will break into the starting role, but not easily and not from the start.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:18 pm

We really don't have much to go on recently with most of these guys except Brewer and Hicks. So I'm going to keep an open mind on all 5 options and see how they handle spring training. The best video of DJ Gillens is from Wisconsin 2015 spring training where he showed he's a spectacular athlete-maybe better than Davis and definitely taller. But like Davis he didn't appear to have a full grasp of the Offense and was quick to scramble-which he is very good at. Note how few times he gets the ball off as the play is designed but can make a lot of things happen when things break down

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7373143/572 ... 3b548bbe87
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Thank you for your insight. Always appreciated. Go Mustangs!
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby rholson4 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:58 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Can someone with knowledge of each of our QBs do some comparison of their strengths and weaknesses?

1) Rafe Peavey
2) DJ Gillins
3) Charlie Brewer
4) Tyler Page

Respectfully I am not interested in including Ben Hicks in this list. I have seen enough of Ben Hicks. I think we all know what we have with Hicks. I am more interested in our "next" QB.

I literally started this exact thread 3 days ago (except my inquiry was more measured in tone). Next time, take like 2 seconds to check the board before posting.

viewtopic.php?t=83292

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
rholson4

Postby Digetydog » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:11 pm

whitwiki wrote:Constantly looking to freshmen or other newcomers is a leading indicator of failure

^^^^^^^
Truth
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:20 pm

mrydel wrote:And, like it or not, adapting to D1 speed of the game is not easy, and we only have 2 QBs that have experienced it. Hicks and Colbert. Personally I think someone else will break into the starting role, but not easily and not from the start.

Both Gillins and Peavy has a lot of practice reps against very good college defenses. The idea that a true freshman QB is going to beat out Peavy, Hicks, Gillins and possibly Davis - borderline nuts.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7373143/572 ... 3b548bbe87
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:46 pm

generally true but that didn't stop Texas from starting true freshman Shane Buechele over 2 former 4 star QBs with starting experience-because he clearly outplayed the Seniors during Spring Practices. Gillens left Wisconsin because they moved him to WR-you can tell why in that video where he rarely runs the play as designed. Rafe Peavy was hurt but likely would have been the 4th string QB at Arkansas-at the least Peavy didn't nail down the 2nd string spot in Spring. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Brewer came in an ran the SMU offense--which is essentially the Lake Travis Offense--better than all the other options. Now I'd prefer that one of the more experienced QBs took control in the Spring but its not impossible. Texas started a January enrollee Freshman last year and Chad Morris himself started a January enrollee true freshman at Clemson (Deshaun Watson). I'm pretty sure Morris will go with his best option. Sometimes injuries and transfers makes those decisions for you too-see Lake Travis QB alumni Baker Mayfield at Tech who started as a true Freshman

Stallion

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:13 pm

Who is Page? Am I the only one that thinks Hicks showed some promise? With a bad OL, young WRs, young RBs, and being a RS Freshman, I think he has some potential. By his junior year I think he could be really good. But, he may not ever play again here if he loses the starting job the next two years, and then brewer takes over after that.

How much eligibility do Peavy and the Juco have?
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football