PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Our Next SMU QB

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Our Next SMU QB

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:21 pm

Tyler Page discussion

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83308

the JUCO/Transfers Gillens/Peavey have 2 years each

we should all understand that QBs who don't start--transfer about 50% of the time-QB backlogs have a tendency to work themselves out. Its exciting to have 3 former 4 stars, a Texas Player of the Year, a 3 star returning starter and perhaps a Houston Touchdown Club finalist in Page to fight it out for the starting job
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:29 pm

Peavy was still not healed in the spring and was not afforded the opportunity to fully compete. Most here think he should have been number 2 but he was buried after the injury and decided to move on.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:35 pm

My Prediction:

1a. Peavey
1b. Hicks
3. Gillens-needs to prove he can run the offense as designed-if he can he will compete for the job
4. Brewer-redshirt
Page will redshirt-will run Scout team in weeks we play teams like Navy, Tulane which will give SMU a chance to evaluate him as a College QB-final position will not be final until 2018

Davis won't get 6th year
At least 1 QB will transfer before first day of class in 2017-2 will transfer if Brewer somehow wins the job

Colbert/Sievert are not a factor and should consider transferring
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:01 pm

First, I can't reiterate enough how highly the staff thinks of Hicks. They really like him.

1) Hicks is the starter coming into spring. Strengths: arm strength, good accuracy across the middle, which improved significantly as the season went along (maybe because of a smaller ball). Weaknesses: Slow, not very mobile. Lack of accuracy to the outside of the field. Lack of accuracy with the deep ball. Mobility might not be as big of an issue if the OL is better next year.

2) Peevy: more mobile the an Hicks and has good arm talent and accuracy. Will unseat Hicks if he can grasp the offense and if he throws the out and the deep ball better.

3) Gillens: Like Davis, but makes a little quicker decisions on when to run. Could be a red zone option. Could compete for the starting spot if the OL struggles, otherwise, I expect will be behind the other two.

4) Colbert: Not quite as athletic as Gillens, but still a playmaker with his feet. Does make quick decisions in the pocket and at this point is more determined than Gillens to be a pocket passer. Will be ahead of Gillens if Gillens doesn't pick up the offense. Probably will not be asked to transfer to ensure both Page and Brewer can redshirt.

Page and Brewer will redshirt.

Agree that Davis won't get his 6th year.
JasonB

Postby jimhagle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:50 am

If Page is somewhat like Manziel then just what do we do with him since we might be stocked at QB if everyone stays committed? This could get very interesting and something this team has never had the luxury to deal with.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:56 am

Gillens came from a pro set offense so he may have more pocket poise than anyone on the team. I would not typecast to him into a typical running QB for whatever reason because he is not. With that said I think Peavy will do well in this offense because it fits his dual threat game better than Arkansas did.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony81 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:13 am

Is transfer even an option for Gillens and Peavy? They've already red shirted and sat out a year.
I would say our transfer risk is down to Hicks. So he will get the nod if he is rated close to the transfers. If a transfer blows him away and gets the start then he will leave.
I see:
Hicks
Peavy
Gillens
2017 recruits all redshirt
Colbert and Seivert need to change positions or transfer
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Pony81 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:21 am

Is transfer even an option for Gillens and Peavy? They've already red shirted and sat out a year.
I would say our transfer risk is down to Hicks. So he will get the nod if he is rated close to the transfers. If a transfer blows him away and gets the start then he will leave.
I see:
Hicks
Peavy
Gillens
2017 recruits all redshirt
Colbert and Seivert need to change positions or transfer
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:54 am

Gillens or Peavy could transfer down a level, ala Levi and Padron if they so desired.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonySnob » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:12 am

mrydel wrote:Gillens or Peavy could transfer down a level, ala Levi and Padron if they so desired.

Worked out well for Josh McCown
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:34 am

Rebel10 wrote:Gillens came from a pro set offense so he may have more pocket poise than anyone on the team. I would not typecast to him into a typical running QB for whatever reason because he is not. With that said I think Peavy will do well in this offense because it fits his dual threat game better than Arkansas did.

Pocket poise? Have you watched his video. He has about the same pocket poise as Matt Davis in 2014

Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:14 pm

jimhagle wrote:If Page is somewhat like Manziel then just what do we do with him since we might be stocked at QB if everyone stays committed? This could get very interesting and something this team has never had the luxury to deal with.

Cole Beasley type slot receiver?
Charleston Pony

Postby Wild Mustang » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:18 pm

I agree with Stallion. After watching the video from the Wisconsin practices it definitely looks like Gillins makes one read and then takes off. Very much Matt Davis-esque. No doubt Gillins looks talented and exciting, but I am hopeful that he or one of our other Next QBs can actually "run the offense" and get our other playmakers involved.

Morris and Craddock are known to be offensive geniuses. Imagine a QB that can run their offense. Maybe this is a dream, but I do not think so. No one is going to argue with the fact that we have offensive weapons on the field at RB and WR. Imagine if we actually had a QB. I am all for our QB being mobile and having a few designed option plays or designed run plays, but first and foremost our QB needs to know how to run the offense. If that QB is Charlie Brewer because of his familiarity with the offense system then so be it.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Rafe Peavey also appears to have "good" mobility and appears to be an excellent passer. He was a 4 star and played in National High School All-American games. Top Recruit. I just haven't seen video on Peavey other than his high school games about 3 years ago. That's why Spring will be fun around here. I'm going to keep an open mind because we've got about 4-5 great options-let the best QB win

Stallion

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:48 am

Congrats Charlie Brewer and Lake Travis! Texas State 6A High School Champion. 20-0 at the end of the first quarter. 4 TD passes. Lake Travis wins 41-13.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Football