PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl Game/TXHSFB Championships Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bowl Game/TXHSFB Championships Thread

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Digetydog wrote:
ponyinNC wrote:I could not watch the Oklahoma game due to Mixon playing - it disgusted me and was all I could focus on. As a father of a daughter, that boy would have been pushing up daisies rather than playing in a football game if he did that to my girl.

Did you watch NFL games involving Ray Lewis and Donte Stallworth? They both killed people. Stallworth served 30 days for DUI Manslaughter and Lewis got probation for his part in a murder.

My $.02 - There is a huge difference between accidentally hitting someone with your car (when they were crossing across the middle of the street in the dark) as Stallworth did, and intentionally punching a woman in the face.

I will admit that there wasn't a video for me to see the entire event cycle for the Ray Lewis charge, so I wasn't as aware of it as I am the more recent events of Mixon and Ray Rice.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:51 pm

ponyinNC wrote:
Digetydog wrote:
ponyinNC wrote:I could not watch the Oklahoma game due to Mixon playing - it disgusted me and was all I could focus on. As a father of a daughter, that boy would have been pushing up daisies rather than playing in a football game if he did that to my girl.

Did you watch NFL games involving Ray Lewis and Donte Stallworth? They both killed people. Stallworth served 30 days for DUI Manslaughter and Lewis got probation for his part in a murder.

This is a confusing post, as it seems to defend the actions of Mixon because other players in sports do other bad things too. I'm sure that is not your intent.

My $.02 - There is a huge difference between accidentally hitting someone with your car (when they were crossing across the middle of the street in the dark) as Stallworth did, and intentionally punching a woman in the face.

I will admit that there wasn't a video for me to see the entire event cycle for the Ray Lewis charge, as in the Mixon or Ray Rice situations, so I wasn't as aware of it as I am the more recent events of Mixon and Ray Rice.

My point is that there are a number of players with significant (often more significant) crimes than Mixon (and Ray Rice before him). Because they were caught on film, people treat them as if they are the "worst" of the bunch.

They aren't even in the ballpark: Lewis, Stallworth, M. Vick, Pacman Jones, .....

BTW - I give you Sheldon Richardson:
= http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2535 ... on-jets-dt
"The 24-year-old was "clocked by police as going as fast as 143 mph" as they gave chase in St. Charles County, per Mark Schlinkmann of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Police allege Richardson attempted to flee after the officers stopped his Bentley and another vehicle that was speeding. He was eventually pulled over in the driveway of a home in an adjacent neighborhood.

At the time of his arrest, Richardson was driving with two other adults and a 12-year-old child. He was charged with resisting arrest along with "exceeding the speed limit, following too closely, failing to use lights and failing to obey a traffic signal." A resisting arrest conviction carries a maximum sentence of one year in jail."
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Also, no one really cared until the video was released. People couldn't extrapolate what the video would contain even knowing her face was broken by the punch?

Obviously don't condone what happened but I do think it's ridiculous that people only cared and it got attention after the video was released. It showed him hitting her. I already knew that before I watched it.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:08 pm

It's seeing the violence of the act which is more powerful than hearing about it. However, the girl got right in his face over something. I would teach my daughter to keep her distance in that kind of angry confrontation with a man to avoid injury just in case he reacts badly. And Brent's comments were out of line without mentioning his abhorrence of the act.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football