PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DANDY DON MEREDITH

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: DANDY DON MEREDITH

Postby soccermom » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:21 pm

digman52 wrote:Meredith was my first pro football Hero. I joined the Cowboy Club in 1960 or '61, and got to go a meeting at St. Marks School in Dallas where many of the players were there. Here's a pic of me getting Don's autograph. Sitting behind him is Don McIlhenny , the father or SMU QB Lance.

Fast forward to the late 90's, and I got seated at the table next to Don and his party at a small Italian restaurant in Santa Fe New Mexico, where he had retired to. Of course I had to go over and shake his hand and have a Chris Farley "stupid stupid stupid " moment. Never regretted it either !

That is so cool!
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smustatesman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:03 pm

It was rumored that The Dandy One, led the last panty raid which occurred on the Hilltop.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:13 pm

smustatesman wrote:It was rumored that The Dandy One, led the last panty raid which occurred on the Hilltop.

Completely untrue...

I have it from an unsullied, reliable source that our own mrydel is the holder of the last, true raid of the frilly bloomers....previous owner was a DG, as I recall the story.

Of course, I could be wrong....
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smustatesman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:54 pm

I'm not talking about tightie whities taken from that two story dorm on the south side of Binkley Ave. :lol:
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby No Quarter » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:44 am

Dukie wrote:
No Quarter wrote:At this moment I can't recall the name of the grocery store at the NE corner of Snider Plaza. During our most recent visit to Dallas a couple of years back we went in there to get ice or bottled water or some such and fell into a conversation with several obvious SMU students. My wife mentioned that we had been in school with Meredith and she'd had classes with him.

Imagine our surprise when we learned they'd never heard of Don Meredith, either as an SMU player or as part of the MNF broadcast.

That incident made it clear to me what has several times been stated on this board: kids on the Hilltop nowadays have a different orientation.

Assuming they were seniors, then they were born about a decade after his last MNF broadcast, and it's not like he kept a high profile after that.

You make a point that is at least partially valid although I had in mind the apparent apathy, often mentioned on this board, of the student body towards football.
No Quarter
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football