PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DANDY DON MEREDITH

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: DANDY DON MEREDITH

Postby peruna81 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Meredith was a feared runner. An Aggie here in Navasota that played against him remembered the coaches emphasizing the need to contain him.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:45 pm

At this moment I can't recall the name of the grocery store at the NE corner of Snider Plaza. During our most recent visit to Dallas a couple of years back we went in there to get ice or bottled water or some such and fell into a conversation with several obvious SMU students. My wife mentioned that we had been in school with Meredith and she'd had classes with him.

Imagine our surprise when we learned they'd never heard of Don Meredith, either as an SMU player or as part of the MNF broadcast.

That incident made it clear to me what has several times been stated on this board: kids on the Hilltop nowadays have a different orientation.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Treadway21 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:39 am

My buddy's dad played basketball at Adamson - and later went to SMU. He actually played in the game where Meredith set the HS single game scoring record. He likes to say he is the reason Meredith got the record.

He was going up for a rebound and came down on Meredith's head and his teeth cut Meredith. Dandy Don went to the bench got stitched up and went back into the game and Monte humorously claims that the incident pissed Meredith off and he he went on his scoring binge as retribution for the injury.

As a classmate at SMU he loved Meredith. When I see that video of him singing Varsity, I get a little teary eyed.

Here is the Dallas Morning News Story about his family's lost photo album, ICYMI. One of the coolest random barn find type story you'll ever read.

Among the scrapbook's more poignant items is a letter to Hazel from Herman "Sleepy" Morgan, the longtime SMU assistant who recruited Don Meredith to the Hilltop.
Penned on SMU athletic department stationery, the letter was written after Meredith's sophomore season of 1957.
"When I think of what a great fellow Don is, and what a wonderful disposition he has -- I can tell why you two [Hazel and Jeff] are so happy," Morgan wrote.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/02/06/dandy-delivery-treasured-don-meredith-family-scrapbook-found-way-home-mount-vernon-massachusetts
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:53 am

Loved the Nestea Plunge commercials and loved Dandy Don.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Back in the Sixties, I was such a fan of Dandy Don that my roommate at SMU bought me a #17 football jersey. When I wore it around campus, people would yell out at me "Hey Dandy Don." He was really well known and loved around Dallas back then.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Donnell88 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:27 pm

Hope people haven't forgotten that Don Meredith finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1959, receiving 26 first-place votes. Billy Cannon of LSU won the trophy that year.
Meredith also finished ninth in 1958.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:48 pm

Good trivia question.

Which SMU Mustangs have received Heisman votes?
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:49 pm

Oh, and Merry Christmas fellow PFs.
SoCal_Pony

Postby smupony94 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:21 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Good trivia question.

Mrydel came in 5th place
smupony94

Postby Donnell88 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:54 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Good trivia question.

1948. Doak Walker wins Heisman.
1949. Doak Walker finishes third.
1950. Kyle Rote finishes second.
1958. Don Meredith finishes ninth.
1959. Don Meredith finishes third.
1982. Eric Dickerson finishes third.

1964. Jerry Rhome, Tulsa quarterback, who transferred from SMU finishes second.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby digman52 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:25 am

Meredith was my first pro football Hero. I joined the Cowboy Club in 1960 or '61, and got to go a meeting at St. Marks School in Dallas where many of the players were there. Here's a pic of me getting Don's autograph. Sitting behind him is Don McIlhenny , the father or SMU QB Lance.

Fast forward to the late 90's, and I got seated at the table next to Don and his party at a small Italian restaurant in Santa Fe New Mexico, where he had retired to. Of course I had to go over and shake his hand and have a Chris Farley "stupid stupid stupid " moment. Never regretted it either !
Attachments
Me and Meredith.jpg
Me and Meredith.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:10 pm

digman52 wrote:Meredith was my first pro football Hero. I joined the Cowboy Club in 1960 or '61, and got to go a meeting at St. Marks School in Dallas where many of the players were there. Here's a pic of me getting Don's autograph. Sitting behind him is Don McIlhenny , the father or SMU QB Lance.

Fast forward to the late 90's, and I got seated at the table next to Don and his party at a small Italian restaurant in Santa Fe New Mexico, where he had retired to. Of course I had to go over and shake his hand and have a Chris Farley "stupid stupid stupid " moment. Never regretted it either !

You were a lucky kid.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby No Quarter » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:15 pm

One day in the late fifties DM knocked on the door of my family's home near SMU and he was selling something or taking a survey. Don't remember what or which. Must have been for a class. If school related, was anyone else on this board in that class?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:57 pm

digman52 wrote:Meredith was my first pro football Hero. I joined the Cowboy Club in 1960 or '61, and got to go a meeting at St. Marks School in Dallas where many of the players were there. Here's a pic of me getting Don's autograph. Sitting behind him is Don McIlhenny , the father or SMU QB Lance.

Great pic & story.

Arguably the 2 greatest QB's in SMU history.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Dukie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:05 pm

No Quarter wrote:At this moment I can't recall the name of the grocery store at the NE corner of Snider Plaza. During our most recent visit to Dallas a couple of years back we went in there to get ice or bottled water or some such and fell into a conversation with several obvious SMU students. My wife mentioned that we had been in school with Meredith and she'd had classes with him.

Imagine our surprise when we learned they'd never heard of Don Meredith, either as an SMU player or as part of the MNF broadcast.

That incident made it clear to me what has several times been stated on this board: kids on the Hilltop nowadays have a different orientation.

Assuming they were seniors, then they were born about a decade after his last MNF broadcast, and it's not like he kept a high profile after that.
Dukie
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football