PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bloomberg on College Football Attendance

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bloomberg on College Football Attendance

Postby mt327 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Since everyone loves to talk attendance here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... y-stadiums
mt327
Junior Varsity

Re: Bloomberg on College Football Attendance

Postby gostangs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Pass
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Traditional rivalries between schools with historic ties are more popular than ever. Proof can be found at every major school in Texas even in comparison to 30-40 years ago., Conference realignment of non-regional opponents without historic connection, pay-day, non-conference mismatches with FCS schools or non-competitive FBS schools and unpopular TV Kickoff times on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and 11:00 am Saturday are largely responsible for any decline. NCAA schools have taken their fans for granted-if filling those seats were a priority it could be done, but they are more concerned with big TV contracts and maintaining conference monopolies. Same with the Bowls which are a restraint of trade based on conference pecking order and generally include matchups that don't make any sense whatsoever rather than freeing bowls to select more regional, reasonable matchups
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby whitwiki » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Honestly, tv makes games unbearably long.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:46 pm

whitwiki wrote:Honestly, tv makes games unbearably long.

I agree. Can we go back to the days when games we not televised and we could get out in about 3 hours? TV timeouts are awful especially when trying to entertain 3 children that are 5 and under.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Just do it like soccer no breaks until end of quarter.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby leopold » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Also, the scheduling factor is a joke right now. The idea of Friday for HS, Saturday for college, and Sunday for NFL (with one MNF game) is gone. I remember seeing the #3 team in the nation play on a Tuesday night one time and thinking it made no sense whatsoever, and that must have been a decade ago. Multiple levels are bumping into each other now. Also, if I was a B1G fan I would wonder why all my games had to start at like 10am every Saturday morning just to satisfy TV ratings. They make it far more difficult to attend a game now.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:07 pm

House of cards
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:17 am

Another factor is that at many schools you have to invest so much money in seat licenses I think they might be losing generations of younger fans-take a look around at the average age of the SMU Basketball fan. Didn't exist 25 years ago.

Also they are hurting visiting attendance by splitting up the visitor sections in the 3rd deck and in the end zone. I used to be able to get quality seats at every stadium in the SWC. Why take a road trip when you can see the game better on your couch. There ought to be fair treatment in seating allotments for the visiting team. No doubt in my mind that less and less opposing fans are attending away games
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Return to Football