PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will this hurt schools like us???

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Will this hurt schools like us???

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:34 pm

What a novel idea-did you come up with that all by yourself/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Stallion wrote:What a novel idea-did you come up with that all by yourself/

June helped
CalallenStang

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Stallion wrote:What a novel idea-did you come up with that all by yourself/

:mrgreen:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PK » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:22 am

Rebel10 wrote:And the let the G5 schools form another college league that doesn't play players and the G5 schools could play in the Spring.
Is that you June.... 8)
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby leopold » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I don't think most power 5 schools lose money with those large television contracts they have. Maybe they should start a new college league consisting of only power 5 schools and let them pay the players. And the let the G5 schools form another college league that doesn't pay players and the G5 schools could play in the Spring.

A surprising number do, especially when you take away the underlying support.

Over the 2014-2015 school year Oregon supplanted Texas as the highest earning P5 school, earning $88M. Thing is, they made that much through a $90M donation from Phil Knight for a new football complex. By my count the football team actually LOST $2M on the year if it wasn't for the donation, and one that had a limited use at that. I know it counts as revenue - they counted it among their tax returns that USA Today - but I don't think it makes it a true business. And there are others out there skating by as well.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:01 pm

I know a former baseball 1st round draft pick (twice) that works for Scott Boras. He basically tells high school kids that unless they are a sure fire 1-2 round pick that they should go to college. It shocked me when he said this. But outside of just the "you get paid" aspect to going pro there are a lot of negatives.

In college players get treated like gods. Everything from housing to food to team travel is paid for and typical accommodations are very nice to extravagant. You work together as a team. Novel concept but in the minor leagues your teammates are actually your greatest competition. You actively root for teammates to fail and the wins/losses as a team don't mean nearly as much as your individual performance. His point is that you can play for a college and hone your craft while everyone around you is rooting for your success. The coaches, as Stallion pointed out above, are for the most part better compensated which typically leads to better overall coaching. And when it comes time for you to turn pro you can be sitting in roughly the same spot as where you would be if you went the minor league route (again, not talking about 1st round picks that are getting paid). Not too mention fans actually care about college sports. Not too many care about what's going on in minor league basketball or hockey.

The $50,000 these kids will get paid goes out the window pretty fast. And all the P5 schools can offer them more in the way of luxuries than this minor league can. Only people I see taking this route would be those that cannot qualify academically to get into school and see this as a better route than JC. No chance this works.

NFL should just bring back NFL Europa and let the high school/college kids go over there.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:15 pm

leopold wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I don't think most power 5 schools lose money with those large television contracts they have. Maybe they should start a new college league consisting of only power 5 schools and let them pay the players. And the let the G5 schools form another college league that doesn't pay players and the G5 schools could play in the Spring.

A surprising number do, especially when you take away the underlying support.

Over the 2014-2015 school year Oregon supplanted Texas as the highest earning P5 school, earning $88M. Thing is, they made that much through a $90M donation from Phil Knight for a new football complex. By my count the football team actually LOST $2M on the year if it wasn't for the donation, and one that had a limited use at that. I know it counts as revenue - they counted it among their tax returns that USA Today - but I don't think it makes it a true business. And there are others out there skating by as well.

Check their earnings next year. I believe most do in P5, maybe not all but most. I even think Penn State made money.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:18 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:I know a former baseball 1st round draft pick (twice) that works for Scott Boras. He basically tells high school kids that unless they are a sure fire 1-2 round pick that they should go to college. It shocked me when he said this. But outside of just the "you get paid" aspect to going pro there are a lot of negatives.

In college players get treated like gods. Everything from housing to food to team travel is paid for and typical accommodations are very nice to extravagant. You work together as a team. Novel concept but in the minor leagues your teammates are actually your greatest competition. You actively root for teammates to fail and the wins/losses as a team don't mean nearly as much as your individual performance. His point is that you can play for a college and hone your craft while everyone around you is rooting for your success. The coaches, as Stallion pointed out above, are for the most part better compensated which typically leads to better overall coaching. And when it comes time for you to turn pro you can be sitting in roughly the same spot as where you would be if you went the minor league route (again, not talking about 1st round picks that are getting paid). Not too mention fans actually care about college sports. Not too many care about what's going on in minor league basketball or hockey.

The $50,000 these kids will get paid goes out the window pretty fast. And all the P5 schools can offer them more in the way of luxuries than this minor league can. Only people I see taking this route would be those that cannot qualify academically to get into school and see this as a better route than JC. No chance this works.

NFL should just bring back NFL Europa and let the high school/college kids go over there.

Let's give it a chance to see how it does first. It could help some kids especially since it is only 4 !teams and they get tuition and books paid for. So $50,000 a year goes slower after you graduate from college?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Topper » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:50 pm

College football is most certainly a business run for the benefit of highly paid coaches and administrators who know that the schools will find a way to make up the shortfall. And their never ending need for more money has allowed ESPN to take control of the sport.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football