PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Interesting SMU Team Analysis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Interesting SMU Team Analysis

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:48 pm

rarely do I read something in a newspaper about SMU football I didn't already know but this analysis was actually kind of insightful

I didn't know Ben Hicks passed for more yards than any freshman in SMU History or that he passed for the 8th most yards in SMU history. I would have thought Bo Levi Mitchell had the freshman record in the Run and Shoot-actually though he broke Mike Romo's record running the Run and Shoot

Red Zone analysis and numbers on returning receivers is exciting - the trio of Sutton, Proche and Castille hauled in a combined 173 receptions for 2,378 yards-and get ready we got more great receivers who sat out 2016 ready to contribute. Man so much room for improvement if we turn those Red Zone stats around which will come as we improve on the Offensive Line in 2017 and especially 2018

http://sportdfw.com/2017/01/09/smu-must ... on-review/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Interesting SMU Team Analysis

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Comparison between Bo Levi Mitchell and Ben Hicks Freshman Seasons(Bo was a true freshman though-but probably played weaker commpetition):

Mitchell:
236 completions 410 attempts 2865 yards 57.6% 24 TDs 23 Interceptions 26 sacks 124.4 QB rating
Hicks:
234 completions 422 attempts 2930 yards 55.5% 19 TDs 15 Interceptions 23 sacks 121.5 QB rating
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Good info, thanks.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mrydel » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Break down the first half and second half of each season and my guess is Hicks would show much more improvement in the second half.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:29 pm

9 of his 15 Interceptions came in first 4 starts-3 in first start

Stallion

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:22 pm

Stallion wrote:9 of his 15 Interceptions came in first 4 starts-3 in first start

Also remember that Bo Levi had mono in his first games and simply ran out of gas and could hardly play after half time. Many of his issues were a direct result of his total lack of stamina and energy which directly affected his a ability to perform. As I recall, it was mid season before he started to get his health back.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:22 am

Stallion wrote:9 of his 15 Interceptions came in first 4 starts-3 in first start

The bottom line is Hicks turned into a decent QB as the season progressed. It is going to be interesting to see if Peavy or Gillins ...

Ratings:
1. Mobility: F
2. Accuracy: C
3. Arm Strength: B
4. Mental Toughness: A+
5. Physical Toughness: A+

Hicks finished 5th in the AAC in passing yds per game. 1-4 were three seniors & a junior.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 am

I have no problem with Hicks except his inability to run. I do realize last year he could not be risked since we were limited at backup. This year he will need to run. His mobility is limited, however just keeping the ball occasionally will keep the opposing LBs honest.

I do know Peavy is better suited for running, and assume Gillian's is also. It should be a fun spring.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 am

Whenever I hear the name "Bo Levi Mitchell", I think of that Washington State game in Pullman.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:05 pm

I was impressed by Hicks by the end of the season. We are just fine at QB. Will be really fun to watch what happens in the Spring and Summer camp. Other than being young on the OL and with some question marks at TE, this offense SHOULD be very explosive and fun to watch next year. Would love to see us put up some crazy numbers next year (and would love to put 50+ on UNT and beat TCU and Houston!) :-)
ojaipony

Postby Fresno Mustang » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:58 pm

We ran the ball successfully with our #2 back and a our freshman back this year behind an injury depleted offensive line. With the re-addition of Jones next year, a healthier, deeper o-line and an easier non-conf schedule, we should see even more rushing production.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:53 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:Whenever I hear the name "Bo Levi Mitchell", I think of that Washington State game in Pullman.

As a true Freshman, I thought BLM was OK.

Given his success at Eastern Washington (he led EWU to a National Championship and was a Walter Payton award winner) plus his pro career success, I think if he had been brought along slowly at SMU, he would have been successful here as well.

Never understood the negativity towards BLM.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:We ran the ball successfully with our #2 back and a our freshman back this year behind an injury depleted offensive line. With the re-addition of Jones next year, a healthier, deeper o-line and an easier non-conf schedule, we should see even more rushing production.

Agree the running game could be strong next year. Not only getting Xavier back in addition to West & Freeman, but it remains to be seen what Alphonso Thomas might add. Hopefully Carmouche realizes his best chance to contribute is going to be at LB because I can't imagine him beating all those guys out and getting any significant number of carries.
Charleston Pony

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Digetydog wrote:

The bottom line is Hicks turned into a decent QB as the season progressed. It is going to be interesting to see if Peavy or Gillins ...

Ratings:
1. Mobility: F
2. Accuracy: C
3. Arm Strength: B
4. Mental Toughness: A+
5. Physical Toughness: A+

Hicks finished 5th in the AAC in passing yds per game. 1-4 were three seniors & a junior.

A+ on mental toughness? his mental toughness was terrible. If he threw one INT he was rattled and couldn't keep his composure anytime he messed up. He improved over the year but his mental toughness is definitely not that great. Physically you are correct, he took a ton of big hits and miraculously never got hurt.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby Wild Mustang » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Stats can misleading. Congrats to Ben Hicks for being one of the top (Redshirt) Freshman to play QB at SMU. Not so much.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Had SMU had a serviceable QB last season we would have won probably 2 more games and would have gone bowling. Take a step back and look at the other QBs in the AAC. Personally I would have taken almost any of them over Hicks. Yes Hicks was a Redshirt Freshman, but please let us stop making excuses for him. Hicks lost games for SMU. The guy was terrible. Everyone wants to say the Hicks improved as the season went along. Give me a break. I would hope he improved. To go from horrible to terrible is not much of an improvement. You can look at stats all you want and try and tell yourself that Hicks improved, but I don't see it. I watched the games and was catching myself cringing anytime he dropped back to pass, hoping, praying that he was not going to throw a pick.

If Hicks was so incredible do you really think that we would be so excited to see the QB competition in the Spring between DJ Gillions, Rafe Peavy, Tyler Page and Ben Hicks? We are excited because deep down we all know that if we have a better QB we could be winning more games. Bench Hicks. Ready for our next QB.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football