PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Interesting SMU Team Analysis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Interesting SMU Team Analysis

Postby gostangs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:30 pm

I think Hicks is a pretty good QB as compared to other JJ era qb's - with exception of Gilbert who was our best in a very long time - and kept us in many games surrounded by much less talent than we have now.

But I think everyone has to remember that Morris recruited Watson to Clemson - his bar for QB under his system REQUIRES a QB who can hurt you with his feet. Due to that I think I would expect a very robust competition, and I don't think the smart money is on Hicks, despite the respect he has earned from intelligent fans for playing fairly well behind a weak O line.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Lots of talk here about skill players on offense, but what about the D? Navy and Memphis mauled us and we looked inept. Is there much hope for next year and why? And are we lucky to get UConn, UC and UCF next year and no USF and Temple?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:07 am

AusTxPony wrote:Lots of talk here about skill players on offense, but what about the D? Navy and Memphis mauled us and we looked inept. Is there much hope for next year and why? And are we lucky to get UConn, UC and UCF next year and no USF and Temple?

The Defense rebuild is at least a year behind the offense in terms of a rebuild.

My prediction:
DL - will be the best unit and possibly very good
Secondary - will need to replace Millines & Richardson, but should be AAC average.

Problem: LB - to date, none of the Morris recruits have made any impact at either ILB position. Hopefully, the guys who RS last year can step up.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Digetydog wrote:
AusTxPony wrote:Lots of talk here about skill players on offense, but what about the D? Navy and Memphis mauled us and we looked inept. Is there much hope for next year and why? And are we lucky to get UConn, UC and UCF next year and no USF and Temple?

The Defense rebuild is at least a year behind the offense in terms of a rebuild.

My prediction:
DL - will be the best unit and possibly very good
Secondary - will need to replace Millines & Richardson, but should be AAC average.

Problem: LB - to date, none of the Morris recruits have made any impact at either ILB position. Hopefully, the guys who RS last year can step up.

In terms of skill players along the D Line Demerick Gary as a soph and Lawler returning will be big. Gary was really good for a true freshman.

In the secondary I am most excited for Eric Sutton, I really hope he can win the job as number 2 corner. He played a lot of special teams as a true freshman.

We recruited the Star position heavily in last year's class, so hopefully we can see someone step up there.

I also think Kevin Johnson could step up and be a play maker in the secondary next year. He seemed to be around the ball making tackles a lot this season.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Previous

Return to Football