PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

7 SMU players quit team

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 7 SMU players quit team due to drug testing

Postby PK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Stallion wrote:I'd be cautious about how this is being reported by a pretty inexperienced reporter who is characterizing the situation in a very general way- I doubt she understands the entire situation, policy and NCAA rules in this area

you are required by the NCAA to establish a drug policy including drug testing, education and sanctions and will be subject to NCAA penalties for failing to follow the school's own drug policy-I believe it was Syracuse that was ruled ineligible due to violation of the school's own drug policy-some school in the East just a few years ago. So its not exactly true to say that it was SMU mandated. It is a drug test as outlined by SMU's drug policy mandated by the NCAA. There are different sanctions for a failed test depending on each school. Usually it takes 2-3 violations for any real sanction to be imposed. First sanction might include drug education or maybe 1 game suspension. DMN did a story about a year ago-most schools can not terminate a recruit's scholarship under school policy until at least the 2-3rd failed test. The key point though is that the NCAA doesn't test except at its tournaments, bowls and/or championships and will not sanction any team unless it is found to have violated its OWN drug policy. Drug use on campus is considered a university issue not an NCAA issue unless the school fails to follow its own policy
The tweet states that they quit not that they were kicked off the team or that any sanctions were imposed.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AustinPerson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Have the quitters been removed from the online roster?
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:12 pm

AustinPerson wrote:Have the quitters been removed from the online roster?

looks like it to me
smusic 00

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:30 pm

PK wrote:
Stallion wrote:I'd be cautious about how this is being reported by a pretty inexperienced reporter who is characterizing the situation in a very general way- I doubt she understands the entire situation, policy and NCAA rules in this area

you are required by the NCAA to establish a drug policy including drug testing, education and sanctions and will be subject to NCAA penalties for failing to follow the school's own drug policy-I believe it was Syracuse that was ruled ineligible due to violation of the school's own drug policy-some school in the East just a few years ago. So its not exactly true to say that it was SMU mandated. It is a drug test as outlined by SMU's drug policy mandated by the NCAA. There are different sanctions for a failed test depending on each school. Usually it takes 2-3 violations for any real sanction to be imposed. First sanction might include drug education or maybe 1 game suspension. DMN did a story about a year ago-most schools can not terminate a recruit's scholarship under school policy until at least the 2-3rd failed test. The key point though is that the NCAA doesn't test except at its tournaments, bowls and/or championships and will not sanction any team unless it is found to have violated its OWN drug policy. Drug use on campus is considered a university issue not an NCAA issue unless the school fails to follow its own policy
The tweet states that they quit not that they were kicked off the team or that any sanctions were imposed.

that's one of the biggest reasons I question the "story". When have 7 players at any school ever quit BEFORE taking a drug test. How many would throw away a $70,000 scholarship for one test failure which would likely be a 1 game suspension at mkost-not expulsion. I think she likely goobered up this story by inadequate research, generalization and a lack of understanding of the issues
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Her reckless tweet has caused a total [deleted] storm
smupony94

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

smupony94

Postby skyscraper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:20 pm

SMU 2 SEC!
skyscraper

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:24 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
AustinPerson wrote:Have the quitters been removed from the online roster?

looks like it to me

Who are the ones that are gone?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:32 pm

I knew this story just didn't ring true
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Based on the names I've read-this is a net positive for SMU-none were really likely to contribute much next year-maybe one but even he was surprisingly absent in his redshirt Sophomore year last year. Hopefully, this leaves some room to add some P5 transfers
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:04 pm

If my calculations are correct based on names I've read we are at about

64 returning scholarships
2 incoming at midterm
1 Arizona St Graduate Transfer coming in summer
14 additional new recruits
Total: 81 leaving space under 85 man limit (August 1, 2017) for 4 new additions possible

1 known outstanding offer to JUCO Offensive Lineman

wouldn't be surprised if Morris has some tricks up his sleaves but the numbers are going to be tight in the next class too so he might hold some for 2018 Class
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:29 pm

smusic 00 wrote:Wonder where Nikki heard this. Not a good leak.

Not as bad as the ones in the drug test though.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ebrooks11 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:14 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

Pure gold.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby horsemanx » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:52 pm

ebrooks11 wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

Pure gold.

Literally!
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby AustinPerson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:38 pm

I just downloaded an October 2016 football roster and did a quick comparison vs. the current roster on the website.

A bunch of players who I have never heard of. The only two who I didn't see on the current roster were Michael Scott and Carlos the linebacker from Arizona.

Yes, players leave teams after every year - nothing weird here. Carry on. And that reporter's Tweet suggesting that it could be related to drug tests was incredibly irresponsible.
AustinPerson
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football