PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12 Not Attractive to Top Texas Recruits

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Big 12 Not Attractive to Top Texas Recruits

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:10 pm

Plus what is the definition of a transfer we are working with-others will various transfer paths worked out pretty good

Sterling Moore
Marquis Frazier
Deon Green
Richard Crawford

J.J. McDerrmott was an FBS transfer who lead us to a Bowl victory and 8-5 record-I think he was Offensive Player of the Year
Matt Davis was our starting QB for 2 years-I think Offensive Player of the Year

And let's not forget litt' S.J. from the smash Hollywood hit "Blindside" who was a place kick holder
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sewanee Stang » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Wasn't Shawnbrey McNeal a transfer during the June Jones era?
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby longbuzzer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Forget analytics. Statistically, lightening can strike twice.

Transfer JJ McDermott QB'd us to a victory over TCU and a win in a bowl.

Now we have DJ Gillins tranferring in.

HMMMM. Another QB that goes by initials.

Methinks we are on to something here.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:02 pm

So basically since SMU signs only a small percentage of kids who are transfers-they have accounted by a larger percentage of the MVPs and other leaders in our program. I say the premise that 'all Transfers Sux' has been soundly rejected
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby mtrout » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:57 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Only a total idiot would say that all our transfers have "sucked" outside of Gilbert.

Says the guy who thought aerating pettus meant ipf construction had begun.

Sorry I shouild have prefaced my statement with "in the current decade".
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:55 pm

All the players I listed have been in the last decade. I listed about 8-9 who were SMU Offensive/Defensive Players of the Year, All Conference contenders or NFL Players. When you dig yourself into a hole-you should stop digging

Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:11 pm

That's all great. Stallion who do you think will be anchoring our LB corps in the next 2-3 years? I dont see Bordano and Swann walking through that door
RGV Pony

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Long term I'm hoping its Spears and Carmouche inside and hopefully Jordan Williams continues to develop at the Star. Delano Robinson is a long term answer at the Star. I'm happy with their potential but agree that we need to upgrade the depth and talent level at LB so we have those types of prospects 3 deep. Jordan Ward is someone to watch during Spring. Shaine Hailey is a sleeper but I'm hoping, no praying that his mobility and instinctive play will allow him to excel at LB despite his small frame. Morris has 4 scholarships to play with-he said he was looking for Transfers. Even 1 more solid LB would make me feel better about that spot

Stallion

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:18 am

Carmouche could answer some football prayers, of course, he would need to do it willingly...not begrudgingly.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mtrout » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:46 am

Stallion wrote:All the players I listed have been in the last decade. I listed about 8-9 who were SMU Offensive/Defensive Players of the Year, All Conference contenders or NFL Players. When you dig yourself into a hole-you should stop digging

You're right. I had forgotten about Davis and was unaware many of those other guys had been transfers.

All I kept thinking is Traylon Shead and a couple of the 1-year-left linemen we got recently who never or barely even saw the field.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:22 pm

mtrout wrote:
Stallion wrote:All the players I listed have been in the last decade. I listed about 8-9 who were SMU Offensive/Defensive Players of the Year, All Conference contenders or NFL Players. When you dig yourself into a hole-you should stop digging

You're right. I had forgotten about Davis and was unaware many of those other guys had been transfers.

All I kept thinking is Traylon Shead and a couple of the 1-year-left linemen we got recently who never or barely even saw the field.

Smart analysis. Ignore the 8-10 transfers that have contributed and emphasize the two that didn't.

The reality is that Trey Quinn and Rafe Peavey would both be the bellcow recruits for the entire conference in any given year. Trey Quinn started 10 games as a true freshman at LSU before getting in Miles' doghouse for a big drop in the SEC Championship Game. Had over 30 P5 offers. Rafe Peavey ended spring ball at Arkansas as the #2 QB despite being in a system that doesn't emphasize his strengths. Throw in a back injury and a logjam at QB and he started to look elsewhere. Both of these guys are massive talent upgrades. Listen anytime Chad talks about Trey Quinn. Says he and Sutton are two of the best he's ever coached.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ojaipony » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Gilbert also went by GG. Just sayin'. :-)

GG is our best transfer post-DP IMHO.

I wish we could get a Deon Green almost every year. I like getting DTs as transfers (big and mature and maybe just wanted more playing time and got in logjam at like an Alabama or somewhere). :-)
ojaipony

Previous

Return to Football