PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12 Not Attractive to Top Texas Recruits

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Big 12 Not Attractive to Top Texas Recruits

Postby leopold » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:16 am

SMU not attractive to top Texas recruits!
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:10 am

SMU not attractive to anyone but sorority girls...not a bad thing I guess.

Our class ranked #85 or #95 is not inspiring. Explaining that ranking away is a JJ tactic and I don't want to hear it.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:19 am

Our Class should be considered to be in the low 80s (average per recruit) depending on which service you use. If you have a small class of 18-19 you are punished by schools with large classes. Was our class worse in total points than Navy's 66 commitments or Memphis' 32 commitments-YES-but in one major one I looked at yesterday we were tied with Memphis and well ahead of Navy in average per recruit
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:21 am

So should we look forward to 5 more years of being ranked in the 70s-80s-90s on the field?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 am

No we should look forward to going to a Bowl Game next year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:27 am

Some people are just not very smart. I've come to terms with this.

We added two Rivals 250 guys in Rafe Peavey and Trey Quinn that are not counted towards our overall grade. Trey Quinn would be the highest ranked player to ever sign for an AAC school other than Ed Oliver. The kid started 10 games as a true freshman at LSU. Rafe Peavey had over 20 P5 offers. Some injuries and a coaching change led him to look elsewhere. He's another kid that would be a Top 5 player to ever sign for an AAC school.

Neither of these kids count towards any sort of ranking as it relates to our incoming recruiting class. You add another P5 transfer talent in Raymond Epps to go with an 17 man high school class with over 50% holding P5 offers and that constitutes a consistent level of recruiting that June Jones never got anywhere close to achieving while he was here.

Some of you honestly are just not smart people. Post less.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby fmced » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:41 am

It has been eons since I have been a cheerleader. I would like to think I have matured into a mentality telling things as they are, rather than what I wish they were. But I weary of the constant catcalls coming from those of you making uneducated cheap shots. So, it is mu belief that there are a couple of points that must be considered in evaluating recruiting classes.

1. Any evaluation based on cumulative points is virtually worthless. You win w/ quality players. It is a penalty to try to play w/13 against your opponent's 11.
2. As long as SMU is non-P5, there is a P5 ceiling at about 45, all things being non-P5 equal. Except for highly unusual circumstances (see Ed Oliver), no 5-star player will accept a non P5 offer. Except for unusual circumstances, the same for 4 star players. I can think of no consensus 4-star player who signed w/ a school who had a 2-year or more losing record.
3 Until SMU is drawing minimum 20k crowds to worthless games and 30k to games of even some interest, SMU is uncompetitive on 95% of 4 stars and 60% of 3-stars. Think of the atmosphere for a recruit @ the OH-OU game vs SMU-anybody game.
4. Until SMU has broken ground on an IPF, there will be a 25% drop in 3-star interest (included in the 60%)
5. Only Morris knows the numbers and the people, but he came here w/ a somewhat fuzzy idea about who his assistants would be. In recruiting terms, he took a 2-star laden staff. Some have probably turned out to be terrific, some problematic. it shows up on the field and probably on the trail. As a group, we likely need 2 or 3 replacements. "All" you are seeking is 2 or 3 more quality 3-star types that can be sweet-talked into coming to SMU.
6. Until SMU erases the embarrassment games (see Navy and Memphis), it is too easy to negatively recruit SMU as a place where a recruit will never play for a winner. Presumably that end this year.
7. As a corollary to the above, SMU has given no indication to recruits in the past 3 years that this can be a winning program. Recruits only have 3 -year memories (if that). As above, that also presumably ended last year.

Much more to say, but I am tired of writing about this and I am sure you are bored by now.
fmced
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:50 am

actually last time I looked the best G5 Class was in the upper 50s -58 or so- but I think UCF added a very fishy commitment today from a kid who announced for Maryland yesterday but apparently signed with UCF today-supposedly not an academic qualifier. That's another thing that bugs me about recruiting rankings. All should be adjusted for Enrolled Rankings on August 1st because some schools (including SMU under June Jones) load up on academic risk who never qualify). I'm convinced some schools do it to pump up their recruiting ranking

Stallion

Postby mtrout » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:31 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Some people are just not very smart. I've come to terms with this.

We added two Rivals 250 guys in Rafe Peavey and Trey Quinn that are not counted towards our overall grade. Trey Quinn would be the highest ranked player to ever sign for an AAC school other than Ed Oliver. The kid started 10 games as a true freshman at LSU. Rafe Peavey had over 20 P5 offers. Some injuries and a coaching change led him to look elsewhere. He's another kid that would be a Top 5 player to ever sign for an AAC school.

Neither of these kids count towards any sort of ranking as it relates to our incoming recruiting class. You add another P5 transfer talent in Raymond Epps to go with an 17 man high school class with over 50% holding P5 offers and that constitutes a consistent level of recruiting that June Jones never got anywhere close to achieving while he was here.

Some of you honestly are just not smart people. Post less.

Every transfer I can remember sucked other than GG. I hope these guys are awesome as advertised or at least see the field.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:37 pm

well that's not a smart comment at all. Shawmbry come to mind? Transfers can REALLY help us.
gostangs

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:38 pm

We had a good transfer DL if I recall.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:43 pm

actually both the Offensive (Shawnbrey) and Defensive POY in 2009 were transfers-can't remember the LBs name but he was from A&M-an Aggy legacy who turned down several offers including SMU to walkon at A&M

ANSWER: Chase Kenemmer

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college ... ers-to-116

Chase Kennemer knows. The Arlington Lamar standout had scholarship offers from Iowa State and SMU. One school, he concluded, was in a region that was too cold, the other too close to home.
So he turned to Harvard, the Ivy League institution that aggressively pursued him throughout the recruiting process but doesn't offer athletic grants. At one point during his senior year in 2004, Kennemer began preparing for life in Boston.

But as national signing day approached, then-Texas A&M defensive coordinator Carl Torbush extended him an opportunity to join the team as a walk-on. For Kennemer, the offer was intriguing. Several family members were Aggie alumni, and he wanted to play at a program in a major conference.

So he decided to head to College Station, where he felt he was headed down the path toward a scholarship. After all, he had been invited to participate in two-a-days and wasn't pigeonholed as a scout-team castaway. But then Torbush was fired and "all of a sudden I wasn't getting any reps," Kennemer said. "And I didn't want to be a four-year walk-on."

Flash forward to today and Kennemer is an all-conference linebacker on scholarship at SMU, the school he had once passed on and then transferred to three years ago. This season, he has 126 tackles and two interceptions for a team that made its first bowl appearance in 25 years. As Kennemer finished revealing his cautionary tale, he sighed.

"Looking back on it, I could have saved a lot of heartache by going to SMU in the first place," he said. "If someone is walking on, they have to be sure they like the school. It's a hard road to get a scholarship. They are not going to just give it to you."

Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Only a total idiot would say that all our transfers have "sucked" outside of Gilbert.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ericdickerson4life » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:02 pm

All our transfers have sucked outside of Gilbert.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football