PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OL for 2017 Season

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OL for 2017 Season

Postby Stallion » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Page is recovering from a pretty serious injury which he suffered in early December on first play of Playoff Game 4. I think its a broken ankle with displaced tibia and fibia and ligament damage. Something like that. I'm just hoping he comes back healthy this year. I'd say a very likely redshirt
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:45 pm

kc711 wrote:
jimhagle wrote:The QB situation will be crazy this Spring too. If Page is a copy of Manziel and is enrolled now who knows who wins this job and who ends up transferring. CM raved about Gillins on signing day and I mean raved. He also raved about Page too. This will be exciting as heck to watch.

I think Page enrolls in June.

It will be hard for Page to win the starting QB job while he is playing receiver.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:11 pm

I thought SMith was a tackle, he was practicing there in the fall?

I would see him staying outside and Wilds moving inside if anything.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:20 pm

Smith will eventually be a Guard-sooner or later

We just got our 2 starters at Offensive Tackle for the future in Ali and Huhn. Howerton can play every position on the Offensive Line. Offensive Tackle projecting into the future will be one of our deepest positions on the team with about 6-7 quality recruits that logically project to Offensive Tackle-before Smith. All of the Offensive Tackle recruits brought in by Morris were 3 star highly recruited. P5 level players. Last year SMU was just plugging holes so some of these guys will be moving around. We are solid at Offensive Tackle projecting into the future. Wish we were as solid at any of the Defensive positions

Howerton and Todora are particularly great recruits because they are versatile enough to swing to just about any position on Offensive Line. Its gonna be fun once the cake is baked. These guys are going to make Chad Morris a lot smarter Coach on 3rd and 1
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:59 pm

JasonB wrote:I thought SMith was a tackle, he was practicing there in the fall?

I would see him staying outside and Wilds moving inside if anything.

Pursley & Natour are experienced tackles. If they are the starters, starting the young guys out at guard is smart.
If they do well and the true freshmen develop, 2018 might look like:
Ali, Smith, Barton/Howerton, Tadora, Huhn.

Wilds can't play tackle at a FBS level.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jpe747 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:18 am

Although Ali needs some work, IMO he should start on 1st day. He is #1 on the whole team. The BEST.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:42 am

Well, maybe second to Courtland. :-)
jpe747
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:29 am

I fully expect one of Ali/Huhn to be starting by game 5. These are two of the best OL recruits we've had in the last 25 years. I could see Tadora starting out at tackle and as Huhn/Ali get their bearings at the college level slide inside to guard. The good news is that we've actually got some depth along the offensive line for the first time in a very long time. Braxton Webb, Keaton Bates, Braylon Hyder, Bryce Wilds, and Harrison Barton are capable backups. It may take a few games to develop the chemistry but we are actually looking pretty good on the OL.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ClickClack » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:01 pm

If Wilds starts at OT, we have a problem.

Pursley and Natour will start at OT and Evan Brown at Center.

OG should have a good 3 competition for 2 spots between Hyder (needs to keep his weight down), Todora & Kadarius Smith.

Our Freshman Lineman will be Studs and the future is extremely bright in the trenches but I just don't see any of them getting significant snaps barring injury. As good as they are, playing on the OL as an 18/19 year old is a whole different animal.

Ali is going to be an absolute Stud...he is a technician with a mean streak. Wait until he adds the needed strength and gets to 300 lbs.
ClickClack
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Stallion wrote:Page is recovering from a pretty serious injury which he suffered in early December on first play of Playoff Game 4. I think its a broken ankle with displaced tibia and fibia and ligament damage. Something like that. I'm just hoping he comes back healthy this year. I'd say a very likely redshirt

I was hoping Page might become our next Cole Beasley and agree a year to rehab might be just the ticket for him. Also gives him a chance to be working on a graduate degree before he's done at SMU
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:09 pm

It also gives SMU another year to decide what to do with Page-listening to Morris I don't think he's decided yet. If nothing else he'd be a damn good QB for the practice squad when we play teams like Navy. (I think he would be a 5 star recruit for Navy-adjusting star system for offensive formation)

Stallion

Previous

Return to Football