PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CFN Pre Spring Rankings...Ouch

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CFN Pre Spring Rankings...Ouch

Postby RE Tycoon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:32 pm

107, geez

LINK
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Re: CFN Pre Spring Rankings...Ouch

Postby PonySnob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Probably not helped by getting outscored 161-65 in your last 3 losses of the season
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:20 pm

The rank was bad but the commentary seemed reasonable. With our scheduling and home/away schedule within the AAC, I think anything less than 8 wins would be a fireable offense.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:23 pm

reasonable? this guy doesn't know jack about what's about to happen. Not concerned

I'm concerned with any idiot that thinks SMU should fire Chad Morris if he doesn't win 8 games in 3rd year of a total rebuild though. No SMU Coach has won 8 regular season games in 3 decades at SMU. We'll be in year 2 of Defensive rebuild next year-we've got a way to go on Defense. Offense will play at a strong Championship contender level next year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:40 pm

It's just an opinion and we all have one. I'm just making a hyperbolic statement regarding the fireable offense. Even though SMU has never gotten past 8 wins in forever doesn't mean we shouldn't set the bar there. The defense worries me but I think the offense will mitigate it plus the schedule should allow it.
What are you expecting the record to be?
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:43 pm

I see this meme starting among SMU fans-that we are just going to roll through our schedule

We have about 4 games that we definitely should consider a win but are going to have to fight to win the others including even Arkansas St who beat UCF 31-13 in their bowl game. UCF, Tulsa, Houston, Memphis, Navy all went to bowl games. Cincy on the Road won't be a walk in the park either. We need to qualify for a Bowl-the more wins the better-but a Bowl is essential to keep the program moving forward
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby mtrout » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:52 pm

We have the easiest schedule I can remember plus Courtland is back. We will likely be 2-0 for the first time since '09! If our offense doesn't rock next year I think I will be totally deflated. I'm hoping the 75-31 games at least turn into 75-75 lol
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:02 pm

We've still got a pretty big climb (Sagarin)

29. Tulsa
32 South Florida
43 Temple*
50. Memphis
55. (non-conference) Arkansas St
56. Houston
61. Navy
86 Central Florida
92. SMU
109. Tulane
117 Cincinnati
118 East Carolina*
154 Connecticut

Not on 2017 Schedule

Last edited by Stallion on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:04 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:The rank was bad but the commentary seemed reasonable. With our scheduling and home/away schedule within the AAC, I think anything less than 8 wins would be a fireable offense.

We have Houston, Memphis and Navy on the road so the AAC schedule is not that favorable. Honestly, 8 wins is the max anyone should be predicting.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby JasonB » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Stallion wrote:I see this meme starting among SMU fans-that we are just going to roll through our schedule

We have about 4 games that we definitely should consider a win but are going to have to fight to win the others including even Arkansas St who beat UCF 31-13 in their bowl game. UCF, Tulsa, Houston, Memphis, Navy all went to bowl games. Cincy on the Road won't be a walk in the park either. We need to qualify for a Bowl-the more wins the better-but a Bowl is essential to keep the program moving forward

On the other hand, we will have the best WR and RB units in the conference, and should have among the best QB play in the conference. The OL should be improved - worst case is Pursley, Hyder, Brown, Smith, Natour - with potential for significant upgrades. Sure, LB haven't shown yet, but the DE tandem of Lawler and Badejo/Gary will be one of the top in the league. Corner play will be among the best in the league as well.

We had 5 this year with a harder non-conference schedule, a rookie QB, and minus our starting RB. Go ask the coaches how many wins we would have had with Matt as QB this year.

Anything under 8 wins will not only be a disappointment, but it would hurt Morris' recruiting moving forward. He absolutely HAS to have a good season this year to re-amp recruiting back to what it was.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:53 pm

sbsmith wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:The rank was bad but the commentary seemed reasonable. With our scheduling and home/away schedule within the AAC, I think anything less than 8 wins would be a fireable offense.

We have Houston, Memphis and Navy on the road so the AAC schedule is not that favorable. Honestly, 8 wins is the max anyone should be predicting.

I was chalking those up as losses. I was referring to our home games within the AAC. I feel 9-3 is obtainable but yeah I underestimated Arkansas state. It looked like they started off back in the beginning of the season but really started moving. I think we can compete and beat any team on the schedule through offensive production but it's the defense that I'm worried about getting some stops. I'll retract my statement if we get to 8-4 next season that would definitely be a victory.
Last edited by SMU_Alum11 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:12 am

SMU would be insane to fire CM next year for anything other than murder or rape. Way too much butt hurt on this board over the blowouts that occurred last year and the fact we didn't go for it every fourth down. Real easy to forget that the man was handed the keys to a Yugo and in year two of a complete overhaul he lost his starting QB and RB.

I think we are going to see big improvement this year, but Stallion is right about expectations being a tad too high.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:18 am

By far the most disappointing game of 2016 was the loss at Tulsa. We were the better team that night but experience and belief won out at end of reg and OT. A football season is about belief and momentum. We had it at times last year, first half at baylor, most of tulsa, houston, should have pulled out usf. Need to get on a roll early next year. Arky state is tough but losing at home to them cannot be an option. I expect a great game at tcu. Oline was nuked with injuries by halftime in last years tcu game. I'm not gonna make any predictions but would like to see an undefeated record at ford next year and do work on the road and see what happens.
Hoop Fan

Postby TidePony » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:21 am

I think we win a surprise game or two next year. 8-4 is absolutely possible. If we are 3-1 going into conference (which I believe we will be) then let's see what unfolds! I was at the Tulsa game and we were the better team, just bad luck and injuries got the best of us.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:46 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I'll tract my statement if we get to 8-4 next season that would definitely be a victory.

Yeah that would be a victory for the program.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Next

Return to Football