PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jeff Traylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jeff Traylor

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:28 pm

THIS IS HUGE!! On Dec 9/16 as Texas was going thru their Coaching change I posted on here that Chad should go after Traylor. I believe this hire is a stronger hire than either Coordinator!! I have followed him for a long time and couldn't understand why Herman didn't keep him. Regardless, Hermans mistake is SMU gain. He will make a huge difference!! Traylor maybe a better recruiter than Chad in East Texas! Great Hire, and I also predict Chad just hired SMU next Head football Coach!!
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:30 pm

BTW Traylor's son Jordan Traylor has been a graduate assistant first at A&M and then UT-think that's a 2 year gig
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 am

Still no official announcement by the school.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:47 am

Mexmustang wrote:Still no official announcement by the school.

Since there is no rush, I am not surprised or disappointed. I assume his announcement will include other moves and those moves might not be final.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 am

Mexmustang wrote:Still no official announcement by the school.

Introduced him to the Austin alums at the football event last Wednesday as our new coach
smupony94

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:15 am

this seems like a head coach in waiting type hire (given his title as assoc HC). Has Traylor ever been a coordinator or is his biggest claim to fame that he was a high school HC with great recruiting abilities? This seems like a knee jerk reaction to something.

I thought Lincoln Riley or another young hotshot coordinator was our fallback should HCCM leave...

Or have I just had too much coffee this morning???
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StangUp » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:27 am

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:THIS IS HUGE!! On Dec 9/16 as Texas was going thru their Coaching change I posted on here that Chad should go after Traylor. I believe this hire is a stronger hire than either Coordinator!! I have followed him for a long time and couldn't understand why Herman didn't keep him. Regardless, Hermans mistake is SMU gain. He will make a huge difference!! Traylor maybe a better recruiter than Chad in East Texas! Great Hire, and I also predict Chad just hired SMU next Head football Coach!!

Any idea why Charlie didn't take him to Florida?
StangUp

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:18 am

who said he wasn't offered-but why would he leave when all his contacts are in Texas. My understanding is he had numerous opportunities. This is not a HCIW situation.
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:27 am

B/c he has zero experience recruiting in the state of Florida. Traylor is an East Texas guy.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby StangUp » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:01 am

StallionsModelT wrote:B/c he has zero experience recruiting in the state of Florida. Traylor is an East Texas guy.

I'm well aware Jeff is from East Texas. I just inquired if any of you had any insight on whether Charlie offered Jeff to join him in USF. Jeff/Chad likely had this deal in-the-works months ago and thus, no need for Jeff to consider making the move. I do however, hope Jeff was desirable enough that Charlie wanted him.

BTW, out of the 7 coaches Charlie took with him - only one had Florida ties.
StangUp

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:09 am

I think you'll find out during his announcement that he had the opportunity to go to USF but turned it down. I think you'll find out he had a lot of other opportunities PERIOD

Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 am

Some at Texas wanted him to be the interim OC with the potential to be the full time OC.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby StangUp » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:44 am

Stallion wrote:I think you'll find out during his announcement that he had the opportunity to go to USF but turned it down. I think you'll find out he had a lot of other opportunities PERIOD

Sweet. Sounds like a great addition.
StangUp

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:57 am

Stallion wrote:I think you'll find out during his announcement that he had the opportunity to go to USF but turned it down. I think you'll find out he had a lot of other opportunities PERIOD

State of Texas is, evidently, his niche.
Bergermeister

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Traylor hire is huge! I felt like when Chad came to SMU it was somewhat difficult to put together a Staff. I do know several turned down the chance. I was hoping the Traylor hire would happen, but wasn't sure how Chad could make it fit. And guess we still don't know the details. Not because of Traylor, but because ALL the pieces are coming together, SMU Football is about to make a HUGE LEAP forward this fall. Still got some issues but moving in the right direction. Problems that concern me most, Fans in Stands, this is a major negative impact on recruits. Linebackers, need the RB to move to LB! Sometimes they tend to get down & just give up or very poor effort on a couple away games. Never understood this & I put this on Chad. Last but Special Teams, and look like some very positive moves here with the kicker. Sorry guess I got to scattershooting!
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Football