PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017 American Schedule

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017 American Schedule

Postby Fresno Mustang » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:43 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Too many uncertainties at key positions to expect more than 5 wins. Next year is the turning point for this program. In the interim, we will see what happens with recruiting as the 2017 kids provided some key position depth, but only as as red shirts and weight room work available in 2018. Most of the class; however, will not substantially enhance the depth and talent levels needed to progress.

If we were to only win 5 games that would be a serious disappointment with an NFL wide receiver, the deepest qb depth SMU has had in most of our lifetimes', 3 experienced running backs and a deeper D-Line / O-Line than the last two years. Plus we have scaled down our non-conf. schedule to get more wins. I am not saying that we should be a 9 or 8 win team or this year is a disappointment, but we should be going to a bowl and at least be in striking distance for an AAC title this year.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:05 pm

I will say it here....7 wins, and a win in a bowl. And no, I have not been drinking...or smoking...or sleeping.

We will be MUCH better, good enough to compete with Memphis and Navy. In the last two years, there has been a virtual make-over of this program, and the talent is at a point that it is equal or surpassing other AAC foes.

We will compete with TCU, and still lose.

We will compete with Navy, and I'm driven to say beat them this year.

It is WAY too early for the "Way Too Early Prediction Thread", but this year will be memorable, and worth watching.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Our conference schedule is easier this year with UConn, UC and UCF from the East. Should win 2 of those. OOC should provide 3 wins. And 2 out of the West adds up to 7 for my way to early prediction.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 am

7-5 good enough to get Chad the ticket he wants out of town after this season? Can't see A&M firing Sumlin after a bunch of 8-win seasons to hire a guy winning seven games in his third season in the AAC
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:15 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:7-5 good enough to get Chad the ticket he wants out of town after this season? Can't see A&M firing Sumlin after a bunch of 8-win seasons to hire a guy winning seven games in his third season in the AAC

I think you may be forgetting to factor in the Aggie
CalallenStang

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:37 pm

peruna81 wrote: We will be MUCH better, good enough to compete with Memphis and Navy.

You have been drinking AND smoking. Not gonna happen. SMU doesn't beat Navy. It's a tradition. SMU needs to focus on those appleknocker non-conference opponents and then figure a way to win 3 mas.
Bergermeister

Postby mtrout » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:17 pm

We play 2 teams in the Sagarin top 50 next year (TCU and Tulsa).
If we can drop Michigan in '18 and play Texas State instead we will be unstoppable! #winning
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:11 pm

mtrout wrote:We play 2 teams in the Sagarin top 50 next year (TCU and Tulsa).
If we can drop Michigan in '18 and play Texas State instead we will be unstoppable! #winning

I still think we will have a shot at Michigan by 2018
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 am

Speaking of scheduling, I was on-line yesterday trying to find accommodation in the Annapolis area for the November 11 Navy game. To my surprise there are few if any reservations within 30 miles of Annapolis still available. Prices have been jacked up and choices are very limited. Any one thinking of spending an extra day enjoying and sightseeing in that area had better hustle right now (today) for reservations of any kind.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:39 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Speaking of scheduling, I was on-line yesterday trying to find accommodation in the Annapolis area for the November 11 Navy game. To my surprise there are few if any reservations within 30 miles of Annapolis still available. Prices have been jacked up and choices are very limited. Any one thinking of spending an extra day enjoying and sightseeing in that area had better hustle right now (today) for reservations of any kind.

Thanks for the heads-up. My boss is a Navy grad (lives in D.C. area) and wants me to come up so he can show me the campus. I attended the SMU game there in 2008 but due to the rain, all I saw was the stadium!

In 2008 I stayed in Columbia (MD), centrally located between Annapolis, Baltimore & D.C.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Speaking of scheduling, I was on-line yesterday trying to find accommodation in the Annapolis area for the November 11 Navy game. To my surprise there are few if any reservations within 30 miles of Annapolis still available. Prices have been jacked up and choices are very limited. Any one thinking of spending an extra day enjoying and sightseeing in that area had better hustle right now (today) for reservations of any kind.

Thanks for the heads-up. My boss is a Navy grad (lives in D.C. area) and wants me to come up so he can show me the campus. I attended the SMU game there in 2008 but due to the rain, all I saw was the stadium!

In 2008 I stayed in Columbia (MD), centrally located between Annapolis, Baltimore & D.C.

I enjoy sight seeing and try to spend roughly 3 days taking in the history and enjoying the area. I got one of the last 5 rooms at a motel in Annapolis wanting to actually stay in beautiful St. Michaels, MD on the Bay roughly 25 miles south and east of Annapolis. Nothing available in that area. My room rate jumped $100 per night for the 10th and 11th. I am guessing this may be a Navy homecoming or reunion weekend and the hotels totally take advantage.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:36 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:

I enjoy sight seeing and try to spend roughly 3 days taking in the history and enjoying the area. I got one of the last 5 rooms at a motel in Annapolis wanting to actually stay in beautiful St. Michaels, MD on the Bay roughly 25 miles south and east of Annapolis. Nothing available in that area. My room rate jumped $100 per night for the 10th and 11th. I am guessing this may be a Navy homecoming or reunion weekend and the hotels totally take advantage.

It's Veterans Day.
CalallenStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:24 am

CA Mustang wrote:

That game in Annapolis in JJ's 1st year was played in about the most miserable conditions I ever remember attending. I remember thinking ANY future trips to Navy would have to be better
Charleston Pony

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:

That game in Annapolis in JJ's 1st year was played in about the most miserable conditions I ever remember attending. I remember thinking ANY future trips to Navy would have to be better

Yes, I was there and the wind and rain were absolutely miserable. Interesting thing about that day was that the morning was beautiful and perfect. Rain front hit almost exactly at the time of the opening kick off. An hour after the game the front had passed the the evening was beautiful.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football