PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Traylor Joins SMU Football Staff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:00 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

DALLAS (SMU) – SMU Head Football Coach  Chad Morris has added another high school coaching legend to the Mustang staff, today announcing the hire of Jeff Traylor as Associate Head Coach/Running Backs.

Traylor arrives at SMU following a two-year stint at Texas as tight ends and special teams coach. In 2016, Traylor coached punter Michael Dickson to third-team Associated Press All-America accolades and Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Year honors. Dickson was also a finalist for the Ray Guy Award. In his first season at Texas, two Longhorns' special teams players garnered All-Big 12 honors, as Dickson and return man Daje Johnson earned honorable mention honors.

The former athletics director at Gilmer High School also served as head coach for the Buckeyes for the 15 seasons (2000-14), amassing three state championships (2004, '09 '14) and a 175-26 overall record (.871). He also led GHS to state runner-up finishes in 2007 and 2012, while capturing 12 district titles.

"We are excited to add Jeff to our staff," said Morris. "He has deep ties to Texas high school football, particularly in east Texas, and I consider him one of the bright offensive minds in college football. I've known Jeff for 15-20 years and I know he'll add a lot to our program."

Gilmer reached the 10-win mark 11 times under Traylor's direction, while also recording seven 13-win campaigns. The Buckeyes reached the 15-win plateau three times, all of which resulted in undefeated state championship years, including two 16-0 marks in 2004 and 2014.

En route to the 4A Division 2 state title in 2014, the Gilmer offense put up the second-most points in the history of Texas high school football with 950 in 16 games for an average of 59.4 points per game. The Buckeyes scored over 60 points on nine occasions, twice posting 80 or more. They also averaged 536.1 total yards per game (8,577) with a balanced 293.9 passing yards and 242.1 rushing yards per contest. The defense was equally impressive, allowing only 276 points (17.3 ppg) with five single-digit performances and two shutouts, while recording 23 interceptions and forcing 17 fumbles. Gilmer capped the season with a win over West Orange-Stark at AT&T Stadium in Arlington and had eight different players earn 4A All-State honors from either the Associated Press or Texas Sports Writers Association.

Gilmer's two other state titles under Traylor both came in 3A in 2004 (Division 2) and 2009 (Division 1), before the change in class structure in Texas high school football moved the school into 4A last season.

"I'm happy to be joining Coach Morris and the SMU program," said Traylor. "Chad's always been somewhat of a hero of mine. He treats people well and does things the right way. I've also had several players come to SMU and they've all had great experiences. This is a great school in a great city and there's so much momentum here. I'm really excited about the future."

Prior to Gilmer, Traylor was an assistant coach at Jacksonville High School from 1993-99, where he served as passing coordinator, defensive backs coach, receivers coach and special teams coordinator.
Traylor began his coaching career at Big Sandy High School, where he spent four years as an assistant coach from 1989-1992.

A 1986 graduate of Gilmer High School, Traylor earned both undergraduate and graduate degrees in education from Stephen F. Austin while playing football as a walk-on. Traylor and his wife, Cari, have two sons, Jordan and Jake, and one daughter, Jaci.

Morris also announced that  Claude Mathis would transition into the role of Director of High School Relations and will assist in player development.

"We're thankful for Claude's efforts the past two seasons as an assistant coach, and, with kids in high school and junior high, this change will give him an opportunity to spend more time with his family," said Morris. "We're just so happy to be able to keep him on our staff."

SMU opens the 2017 season on Sept. 2, when the Mustangs host SFA. Tickets for  SMU's entire seven-game home slate are on sale now for as little as $99.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Traylor Joins SMU Football Staff

Postby No Quarter » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:49 am

Is my memory correct that a long, long time ago was there a highly regarded QB named Doyle Traylor who went to Baylor and suffered a knee injury that limited, perhaps ended his football career? Is Jeff Traylor related?

Anyway, welcome toSMU and best wishes.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:59 am

Don't remember him but his son Jordan is a Graduate Assistant at UT right now after serving as Graduate Assistant at A&M. Played QB at Gilmer for his father. Good looking kid with a lot more hair-maybe we find a place for him at SMU
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Silk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:13 am

If he's as good a recruiter as they say he is, bring him on!
Silk
Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:26 am

Stallion wrote:Don't remember him but his son Jordan is a Graduate Assistant at UT right now after serving as Graduate Assistant at A&M. Played QB at Gilmer for his father. Good looking kid with a lot more hair-maybe we find a place for him at SMU

Not entirely surprised you don't remember. The player I'm thinking of would have been recruited at the dawn of DC's Texas Football or a little before. I don't know if Rayburn is still with us in any capacity but he probably would have had an opinion.

I agree that Jeff Traylor sounds like a good addition and if a place can be found for his son that sounds good also.
No Quarter
Heisman

Return to Football