PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Baylor and its conference

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Baylor and its conference

Postby davish75 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Is Baylor going to be kicked out of their conference?
AustinTX
davish75
Junior Varsity

Re: Baylor and its conference

Postby AustinPerson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:26 pm

davish75 wrote:Is Baylor going to be kicked out of their conference?

We should get some breaking Baylor news in the next hour or so. It's a Friday, of course.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby mrydel » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:54 pm

If they are threatened they will dig up Ann Richards.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:30 pm

They should be but I bet they won't
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Not on your life. Once you're part of the P-5, you're set for life. In today's upside-down world, Baylor would sue & probably win. In the 80's when we got hit, it was a different world.

It's sort of like a government job - you can't be fired. You can go up - but not out. LOL

It's a sad joke.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby leopold » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:08 am

In all seriousness, what good would it do?

The bad pub is horrible, I get that. It's disgraceful and the Big XII is hiding, hoping to God nobody points the finger at them, praying that Baylor gets it Shiite together before they actually have to do something.

But what would it actually accomplish? Serious question

Here's what happens if the Big XII moves to get rid of Baylor.

1. Baylor sues.
I'll give this to Baylor - they're alley cats. They fought to get in, they fought for relevance on the field, on the court, and in the conference, and they fight like hell when cornered. They proved that in getting in and surviving this long and they aren't going to say "Thanks, sorry it didn't work out, see ya on Satuday." God forbid someone at Baylor has the goods on another school like some at SMU did when we got the death penalty - you will see backstabbing taken to new levels within the Big XII if that happens. Which means years more of bad pub, years more of lawyers fees and litigious name-calling and back-stabbing, and without seeing contracts Baylor probably wins and stays. Even if they don't what it leads to is

2. The Conference becomes even more unstable.
It's fighting for it's life already. They can't agree on anything, not money, not direction, not a cohesive plan of action. People have been trying to leave for a decade and almost everyone in the conference would except they had no other options. To kick out a member along with the subsequent lawsuits would force every school to, again, revisit their options and try to get out, I don't care what the contract says. The Big XII becomes even more tainted in other conferences and schools eyes, which highlights the problem they are having:

3. There isn't anyone out there to replace them with.
Let's assume they aren't going to stay at nine schools. If the model struggles at ten it's probably going to struggle with nine. So they are going to have to bring someone in.
But they already looked around and couldn't find two schools and I don't think they even agreed on one, either.
Who are they going to bring in? Us? Death Penalty U? I can see the jokes already. BYU? Possibly the best overall candidate but they've shown to have their own issues.
The obvious answer, and the best of the group, is probably Houston. But the bottom line is that Houston isn't worth the lawsuits, the bad pub, the issues that come with kicking Baylor out. If Houston had brought anything to the table to begin with they would have been invited, but they weren't, and if they didn't get an invitation without ripping the conference apart any further then they won't if it comes along with a nasty divorce. There simply isn't a program out there worth going through all the pain of kicking a member out, no matter how horribly they've behaved.

The Big XII, now more than ever, is stuck with Baylor.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:30 pm

leopold wrote:In all seriousness, what good would it do?

The bad pub is horrible, I get that. It's disgraceful and the Big XII is hiding, hoping to God nobody points the finger at them, praying that Baylor gets it Shiite together before they actually have to do something.

But what would it actually accomplish? Serious question

Here's what happens if the Big XII moves to get rid of Baylor.

1. Baylor sues.
I'll give this to Baylor - they're alley cats. They fought to get in, they fought for relevance on the field, on the court, and in the conference, and they fight like hell when cornered. They proved that in getting in and surviving this long and they aren't going to say "Thanks, sorry it didn't work out, see ya on Satuday." God forbid someone at Baylor has the goods on another school like some at SMU did when we got the death penalty - you will see backstabbing taken to new levels within the Big XII if that happens. Which means years more of bad pub, years more of lawyers fees and litigious name-calling and back-stabbing, and without seeing contracts Baylor probably wins and stays. Even if they don't what it leads to is

2. The Conference becomes even more unstable.
It's fighting for it's life already. They can't agree on anything, not money, not direction, not a cohesive plan of action. People have been trying to leave for a decade and almost everyone in the conference would except they had no other options. To kick out a member along with the subsequent lawsuits would force every school to, again, revisit their options and try to get out, I don't care what the contract says. The Big XII becomes even more tainted in other conferences and schools eyes, which highlights the problem they are having:

3. There isn't anyone out there to replace them with.
Let's assume they aren't going to stay at nine schools. If the model struggles at ten it's probably going to struggle with nine. So they are going to have to bring someone in.
But they already looked around and couldn't find two schools and I don't think they even agreed on one, either.
Who are they going to bring in? Us? Death Penalty U? I can see the jokes already. BYU? Possibly the best overall candidate but they've shown to have their own issues.
The obvious answer, and the best of the group, is probably Houston. But the bottom line is that Houston isn't worth the lawsuits, the bad pub, the issues that come with kicking Baylor out. If Houston had brought anything to the table to begin with they would have been invited, but they weren't, and if they didn't get an invitation without ripping the conference apart any further then they won't if it comes along with a nasty divorce. There simply isn't a program out there worth going through all the pain of kicking a member out, no matter how horribly they've behaved.

The Big XII, now more than ever, is stuck with Baylor.

You are correct but I think largely because UT and OU know they will leave when the GOR expire and its not worth the heartburn to throw BU out when they really don't have any long term interest in the Bix 12.
Question is whether BU is allowed to remain with the combo AAC elite and BIX 12 remnants.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Return to Football