PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNT series extended

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UNT series extended

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:57 am

mrydel wrote:Piggybacking here rather than starting a new thread. I was checking in the Arkansas Stare OOC schedule. Seems they have taken a page from our old playbook. They play at Nebraska, Miami at home and us in Dallas along with UAPB which should be a cupcake although they play pretty good football. They will be a tough one for us.

You're right. I watched Arkansas State beat UCF...like they stole something from them. People better tap the brakes on penciling in this game as a win.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:42 am

That is why scheduling Arkansas State is the stupidest thing our administration has done. Solid program, no respect for beating them and the game will not sell out.
mustangxc

Postby sbsmith » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:03 am

Nacho wrote:if we beat unt it's a yawn. if we lose it's a disaster. game makes no sense.

It makes sense only because they bring people to Ford. When we get to the point where we are filling those seats with our own people then it won't make sense to play them anymore. One of the many perils of a having a crappy fanbase.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:09 am

at least with NTSU you get 2 for 1 at least for any SMU fan worth a damn
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Oldmins » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:08 pm

leopold wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Explain dropping Baylor 3 years ago and now scheduling Abilene CC????

I could be wrong but I think it was Baylor who dropped us when the Big 12 went to a nine game round-robin conference schedule and they had to drop an OOC opponent. If that's at all true it highlights the issue we face - Baylor and no doubt TCU fans wonder why they are playing us as much as we wonder why we play UNT.
People act like we have lots of options for favorable non-con opponents - we don't. We can either take payday P5 opponents like Michigan or easy wins where we are the ones paying out, like SHSU. The nonconference opponents where both our fans and their fans actually cares who wins and is an even platform is rare. UNT might be the only one about now.

Can't help but chuckle a bit when I read your next to last line:"...the non conference opponents where BOTH our fans and their fans..." Both of our fans care who wins? Interesting.
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:14 pm

no one cares about unt. we think we are buying a win.
Nacho

Previous

Return to Football