PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

YouTubeTV

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

YouTubeTV

Postby SMU89 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:19 pm

SMU89
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: YouTubeTV

Postby ericdickerson4life » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Have to love the added competition in this space. Only can benefit consumers.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:42 pm

This is a huge revolution in that space. So many people I know have satellite just to get sports. The only thing that would be better in my view would be to pick and choose the channels one wants.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby malonish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:39 pm

When net neutrality gets destroyed look for these services to get throttled by cable companies that also provide internet service. "Oh, your youtubeTV has garbage speeds? Why don't you just use our service?" etc.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:22 am

Google fiber, baby.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby ericdickerson4life » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:53 am

Having been on PS Vue for quite a while, I think it's going to work for younger generation that are becoming more comfortable with watching online or via apps. Anyone that is accustom to traditional TV and how it functions, such as in the way you change channels or can flip back and forth between channels with a single click, are going to have a hard time and find that the savings are worth the extra hurdles.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby malonish » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:52 am

Puckhead48E wrote:Google fiber, baby.

That's a nice internet provider you have there. It'd be a shame if they only offered it in limited markets.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:34 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:This is a huge revolution in that space. So many people I know have satellite just to get sports. The only thing that would be better in my view would be to pick and choose the channels one wants.

A la carte is inevitable, which means goodbye to the knitting channel.
ponyboy

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:55 pm

I have a feeling these services will lead more ISPs (who are also the cable companies now) to follow the path taken by U-verse: get TV service from us as well or we'll set a data cap
CalallenStang

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:14 pm

malonish wrote:

That's a nice internet provider you have there. It'd be a shame if they only offered it in limited markets.

Yeah...I live overseas. I get 1gb upload and download 24/7. I just worry about people hiring Netflix to geoblock their crap and the fact that I'll spend half of March and April exhausted sure to the time difference.

Honestly, not worried about throttling too much. Demand will dictate better service as solely data plans become more of the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:
malonish wrote:

Yeah...I live overseas. I get 1gb upload and download 24/7. I just worry about people hiring Netflix to geoblock their crap and the fact that I'll spend half of March and April exhausted sure to the time difference.

Honestly, not worried about throttling too much. Demand will dictate better service as solely data plans become more of the norm.

I hope you are right regarding throttling (or worse - cap and charge for overage), but the current situation in most locales is that there are only one to two providers of broadband internet service and they own the delivery infrastructure. I don't foresee consumer choice shaping the market unless there are some drastic changes to delivery methods or regulators step in and force open access to the current delivery network.
CalallenStang

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:00 am

CalallenStang wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:Yeah...I live overseas. I get 1gb upload and download 24/7. I just worry about people hiring Netflix to geoblock their crap and the fact that I'll spend half of March and April exhausted sure to the time difference.

I hope you are right regarding throttling (or worse - cap and charge for overage), but the current situation in most locales is that there are only one to two providers of broadband internet service and they own the delivery infrastructure. I don't foresee consumer choice shaping the market unless there are some drastic changes to delivery methods or regulators step in and force open access to the current delivery network.

Then get out there and support 5G service. Capacity enables unlimited download/upload plans with no built-in cap (the old T-Mobile, unlimited data...but after 2GB you go from 4G to 2G speeds). With this, anyone within range will be roaring along at breakneck speeds and won't have to worry about getting over the air. Heck, I could connect my Xbox to my phone as a remote WiFi drop here and get faster speeds than I did on Verizon fiber in Philadelphia.

Hardwired fiber with home to home connectivity will go the way of the dodo with the associated overhead cost reductions opening the market up to broadband only providers who don't have to pay for much other than facilitating content and the joint costs of antenna upkeep and wholesale data costs across main fiber drops. Heck, some in congress are looking at changing broadband from being dealt with as a service to being viewed as part of the national infrastructure and thus potentially as much a right as the highways and the byways.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Please let's keep the government and their "efficiencies" out of our internet.
ponyboy

Postby malonish » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:43 pm

ponyboy wrote:Please let's keep the government and their "efficiencies" out of our internet.

And when Net Neutrality gets killed you can look forward to slower Netflix until they are forced to pay for internet fast lanes again. Net Neutrality is one of the few things government did right.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:49 pm

In ten years everything is going to be a la carte via streaming anyway. Traditional TV is dying. ESPN is literally an anchor for Disney at this point. Only a matter of time before they spin it off. The really interesting dynamic will come into play when the major streaming services and YouTube TV begin to negotiate with sports leagues to deliver live content. If Netflix or Amazon get in on that its over for the likes of ESPN/Fox Sports/etc.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Next

Return to Football