PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017 Starters on both sides of the ball

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017 Starters on both sides of the ball

Postby StangUp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:56 am

malonish wrote:How realistic is it for Gillins to beat Peavey and Hicks given that he isn't in full practice mode yet?

Very.
StangUp

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:15 am

he's very raw-I think its unlikely to start the season
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:08 am

Stallion wrote:he's very raw-I think its unlikely to start the season

I agree.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30 am

Am I understanding correctly that the defense looks a little sketchy?
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:42 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:Am I understanding correctly that the defense looks a little sketchy?

#tradition

As hard as it is for people who watched the 2015 team play to imagine, Chad Morris has built an ELITE G5 Level offense going into year 3. Given our recruiting priorities under Morris, the fact that the Offense is outplaying the Defense shouldn't surprise anyone.

Using the AAC (and other G5 programs as a benchmark)

1) QB - B+to A+ : as long as Hicks doesn't regress, the worst case scenario is an above average AAC QB. Likely outcomes: he gets better and wins the job OR Peavy/Gillins play well and take it from him. Bottom line, we are going to have the best QB situation on campus in 30 years.

2) RB - A+ : We have three proven RB's coming back and a great prospect coming off a RS year.

3) WR - A+ : They may actually be better than the RB's. Sutton is a legit All-America prospect. 3-deep competition.

4) TE - B (or better) : While they won't be the game changers that the RB/WR's will be, they certainly won't hurt the team and will probably make a few key plays during the season.

5) OL - ?? : If they can stay reasonably healthy, they should be more than adequate to pound the ball and to protect the QB's. (If one of the mobile QB wins the job, it should help them a lot).

Defense Benchmark: They are probably 1 to 1.5 years behind the Offense in the rebuild. If they can avoid Memphis/Navy debacles, we should have a very nice year because the offense will score. If we can keep opponents from scoring 35 points, SMU will probably win.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:20 pm

I think Mr Thomas is your man for the 3 and 1 play. That dude will very rarely not come back with at least a yard under his belt. I know everyone always falls for the new guy - but ive seen him run and it is very exciting. X and he in the one two punch could be pretty powerful. With a bit of west thrown in for fun.

Would be interesting to see how Chad mixes this up. I could see him trying to establish pass, and then pounding the ball in the second half playing keep away, or the reverse. There are more options than I can remember seeing on offense in a VERY long time.
gostangs

Postby Fresno Mustang » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:15 pm

gostangs wrote:I think Mr Thomas is your man for the 3 and 1 play. That dude will very rarely not come back with at least a yard under his belt. I know everyone always falls for the new guy - but ive seen him run and it is very exciting. X and he in the one two punch could be pretty powerful. With a bit of west thrown in for fun.

Would be interesting to see how Chad mixes this up. I could see him trying to establish pass, and then pounding the ball in the second half playing keep away, or the reverse. There are more options than I can remember seeing on offense in a VERY long time.

Freeman is a specimen and last year was only a freshman, I would like to see him grow even more into the bigger back role and hope Thomas pushes him for time. I am interested to see what the staff does with West. He proved he can have the durability of a 1,000 yard season as a traditional back, but I think the staff will try to get him moved around the field and get him on mismatches to get him the ball. Maybe some plays out of the slot or even lined up in some sort of H-back role behind the line? The staff now has the luxury to get creative so that we can get some of these backs on the field at the same time and create mismatches out of the backfield.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:28 pm

Phonso is gonna show out this year if he can just stay healthy.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby ojaipony » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:25 pm

ojaipony wrote:QB- Gillens (yes, I think he's just that good)
RB- X. Jones/Freeman/Thomas/West (doesn't really matter, they are all good and will get plenty o reps)
WR- Sutton
WR- Proche
WR- Quinn
TE- Epps
LT- K Smith
LG- Natour
C- Brown
RG- Saena
RT- Pursley

Will see lots of rotation on Dline (I hope we get 3 deep) and I hope Spears and Carmouche can be studs at LB with Ward/Mitchell/Williams/Rhone giving quality minutes. Same with secondary - I hope C. Davis, Clark, Clemons, McQueen, etc can provide quality rotation/depth . . .

DE- Lawler
DT- Gentry
DT- Gary
DE- Badejo?
LB- Spears
LB- Rhone
Star-McQueen
CB- Wyatt
S- Onu
S- Clemons
CB- Sutton

Revising based on new grad transfers, etc ...

QB- Hicks/Peavey/Gillens (I don't see how Gillens stays off the field and a 3rd stringer the whole year assuming everyone stays healthy)
RB- X. Jones/Freeman/Thomas/West (doesn't really matter, they are all good and will get plenty o reps, absolutely stacked here, hopefully everyone stays healthy)
WR- Sutton / Honey / Shelmire
WR- Proche / Thomas / Walker
WR- Quinn / Benson / Gaillard
TE- Epps / Rau / Becker
LT- Hopkins / Webb
LG- K Smith / Natour
C- Brown / Hyder / Barton
RG- Saena / Todora
RT- Pursley / Wilds

Will see lots of rotation on Dline (I hope we get 3 deep) and I hope Spears can be a stud at LB with Ward/Mitchell/Williams/Rhone giving quality minutes. Same with secondary - I hope C. Davis, Clark, Clemons, McQueen, etc can provide quality rotation/depth . . .

DE- Lawler / Horton/ Neals
DT- Gentry / Williams / Davis? / Jones
DT- Gary / Biggurs / McLaurin
DE- Mixon / Badejo / Scott
LB- Spears / Cox / McNew
LB- Rhone / Duke / Ward
Star- Mitchell / Williams / Duke?
CB- Wyatt / Lancaster / K Johnson
S- Onu / Clark
S- Clemons / McQueen
CB- Sutton / C Davis

K? Guy from cali?
P? Sackville still?
PR? Quinn/Proche?
KOR? West? K Johnson
Last edited by ojaipony on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ojaipony

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 am

I believe Hicks will take the first snap of the season and the last snap of the season.
ponyboy

Postby flockofseagulls » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:11 am

i assume the Badejo omission in this new version was just an oversight and not part of something i'm not aware of?
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 am

flockofseagulls wrote:i assume the Badejo omission in this new version was just an oversight and not part of something i'm not aware of?

Oversight, I put him back in. Hard to know how good Mixon will really be. I don't know if I agree with myself that he is a starter on day one. :-)
ojaipony

Postby flockofseagulls » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 am

agreed. and if he's only 5% better than badejo, i'd rather the (younger) kid get more snaps. if Gary isn't looking as good at tackle as he did at end, which i thought i heard somewhere, i hope we aren't just keeping him inside because we have mixon for one year at end.
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby leopold » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Okay, I'm confused. Is Mixon eligible this year? I read that he has some academic issues, which to me indicates that he didn't graduate from Tennessee so shouldn't be a grad transfer. Also, how many years does he have? One? Two?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:00 am

leopold wrote:Okay, I'm confused. Is Mixon eligible this year? I read that he has some academic issues, which to me indicates that he didn't graduate from Tennessee so shouldn't be a grad transfer. Also, how many years does he have? One? Two?

He will finish up at UT this month and be here in July, one year left.
ALEX LIFESON

PreviousNext

Return to Football