PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Red Blue Scrimmage Notes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Red Blue Scrimmage Notes

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:14 pm

it was only about an 1 1/2 hour scrimmage-4 Quarters but pretty much a running clock

SMU gave about 20-25 carries to its walkon RBs-pretty much threw short passes most of the game-probably because of 20 mph wind but both QBs were pretty accurate-I don't remember an interception. Few long passes were even attempted

Kemon Freeman made 2 big plays and pretty much called it a day. One was an off-tackle run and the other was a nice throw out of the backfield-can't remember who threw it. Best 3rd string RB at SMU since Reggie Dupard as a freshman. We are loaded at RB -Xavier, Braeden and Kemon could all go for a 1,000 if given the ball-but didn't show much of any of our stars today. In 2 scrimmages I've seen Kemon is showing much more big play capability this year

Kevin Thomas ran a nice route to the post and Rafe Peavey hit him with a high pass that Thomas went up and got-nice catch for about a 15-20 yard TD catch. Thomas caught several other passes-I think he's led the team in catches in both scrimmages I've seen-so looks like he's probably tying up a 2nd string spot at Receiver

late in the game Corey Rau got well behind the DBs on a sideline route and Peavey hit him in stride for about a 60 yard TD. Probably best play of the scrimmage which turned out to be the last full drive and the game winner for the Offense. Caught a few more too. I think he looks like he's ready to contribute. He got his 6-4, 253 pound frame in the endzone by about 10 yards behind the DBs. Good speed for a big guy

Trey Quinn made several nice catches including a ball that held up on the sidelines for about a 25 yard gain and a one handed catch near the goal line-he's going to be solid from Day 1

Pretty much a plain vanilla scrimmage -with many of our top weapons seeing no action like Courtland, Xavier, Braden.

Proche made a great one-handed catch on the sidelines but I believe he was out of bounds. He didn't play that much either

Brandon Benson is back out there-caught a couple of passes for short yardage
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Red Blue Scrimmage Notes

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

First SMU spring game in a while I thought the QBs looked really good. I went to the TCU spring game This morning and they might struggle at qb, might have to start TF Shawn Robinson. Peavy looked really good. My brother, who is a TCU fan, noted that he came to the spring game last year and that SMU looks much better.
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks for the observations. Had to miss it because of a kid's soccer game.

Good to hear there were no picks and the accuracy was solid. Anyone stand out as the winner at QB?
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:46 pm

Rafe is just making more big plays-I think he was about 16 for 18 for about 170 yards and 2 TDs. The offense was so plain vanilla though its not really displaying the potential of either QB. I think they just pulled that Rau deep route out of the play- bag late so the Offense could win on the last drive-otherwise they may not have shown it
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:37 pm

Official smumustangs.com Game story with stats

http://smumustangs.com/news/2017/4/8/sm ... -fest.aspx

Stallion

Postby malonish » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:21 am

Trey Quinn had a one handed TD catch. Very impressive.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:14 am

smupony94

Postby RE Tycoon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:51 am

I agree they didn't show a ton, but to me the offense didn't get me all that excited, really the QB and line play. They may have been hamstrung by the play calling though.

There is no doubt our receivers are insanely good. Trey Quinn looks legit. There won't be enough balls for all the talent at WR. I thought the D looked good, but again, play calling makes that so hard to get a good read.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:21 am

My fiend Jon joked by saying
" Our defense really knows our offense" Yes, plain vanilla plays.

For the first time in a while I saw some BIG HORSES on the D line. Hope they can tighten up for next years season.

Good to see lots of Mustangs and the place was fun. Food Trucks, lots of kids, beers and FREE TEE shirts.. FREE. How about that for an SMU function.

See you in 4-5- months!!!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby chewybmt » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:47 pm

All the little short yardage throws and still got to the QB several times. Makes me kinda scared for the OL.
chewybmt
Recruit

Postby 78pony » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Agree. Me too!
78pony
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:22 pm

they weren't really sacks-they blew the whistle when QBs were about to get touched

Stallion

Postby chewybmt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:43 am

Stallion wrote:they weren't really sacks-they blew the whistle when QBs were about to get touched

They had to just to save the QB.
All I'm saying is that all the QB was throwing was quick short routes and the def was getting to him
chewybmt
Recruit

Postby JoeKidd » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:07 am

It was good to watch all the young guys getting reps....and the game was not indicative of the personnel we will be rolling out in the fall on the O-Pursley, Saena, West/Jones, Sutton. Defensively I think we really only held Lawler back, but limited some of the more senior guys reps. as well.....the D still has a longer way to go by the start of season imo.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Webmaster » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Based on the extremely limited media access under the Morris regime, I think what we all saw on Saturday had more to do with giving everybody "game day" reps in a very base offense. Morris is not showing any of his cards.

That being said, the one-handed sideline grab by Proche was amazing. Quinn looks to be about what you'd expect from someone who started at LSU as a freshman and set the all-time HS national receiving record. He had two more potential TDs where he'd beaten the coverage, but was underthrown. Kevin Thomas' athleticism (especially the part where he ran for about ten yards as he was falling/tip-toeing down the sideline) is ridiculous.

I think we may see more out of the tight end position this year. I've heard several comments to the effect that the "The tight end position makes this offense go." Hopefully the Rau TD is a precursor of things to come. WIDE, WIDE open. And like the earlier comments, I was impressed to see 253 pounds move that fast. He might retire a few opposing DBs if they get in the way.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Next

Return to Football