PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Way Too Early Prediction Time

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Way Too Early Prediction Time

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Now that spring ball is over. Let's have some fun. I think we finish 7-5 with a couple of near misses and only 1 huge blowout loss (not against TCU) and only because of defense.

Sept. 2 vs. Stephen F. Austin (W, very close)
Sept. 9 vs. North Texas (W, huge win)
Sept. 16 at TCU (L, not a blowout but not very close either, we will have some good moments though offensively)
Sept. 23 vs. Arkansas State (W, very close as in OT close)
Sept. 30 vs. Connecticut (W, very close)
Oct. 7 vs. Houston (L, near miss)
Oct. 21 at Cincinnati (L, near miss)
Oct. 27 vs. Tulsa (W, big win)
Nov. 4 vs. UCF (W, very close)
Nov. 11 at Navy (L, blowout)
Nov. 18 at Memphis (L, big loss but not war crimed, 50-35 type thing)
Nov. 25 vs. Tulane (W, big win, Trey Quinn has career day)

Of course, a few could go either way: Houston at home, and at Cincy for example. I could see us winning both or losing both.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Way Too Early Prediction Time

Postby sbsmith » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:00 pm

ojaipony wrote:Of course, a few could go either way: Houston at home, and at Cincy for example. I could see us winning both or losing both.

We play at Houston this season.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby peruna81 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:30 pm

SFA 42-24 W...We move the ball all over them, but come out with injuries because the O-line is a work in progress.
NTSU 38-28 W..Defense isn't there yet either, but our skill players are better. Good depth at QB pays off.
at TCU 34-30 L...Patterson refuses to help us...again..They break in their new QB on us.
Arky State 31-30 W..This is the key game early in the season. winnable and losable at the same time. This time.we win.
UCONN 28-24 W...Come from behind, and running the ball some more. O-line begins to shake out.
at Houston 38-24 L...No joy on the drive back on I-45...exept for Bucky's at Madisonville.
Cincy 31-28 W..Field goal and of all things, defense, wins the game. The team begins to shape into a power.
Tulsa 45-28 W..A true curb-stomping. It is about time.
UCF 34-31 W...We fall apart early, and grind out the 4rth quarter for the win.
at Navy 34-31 L...Navy is replacing a lot, but know how to cut-block...our guys go down with knee problems on the DL. This time SMU actually fights the entire game.
at Memphis 42-31 L...They still have better athletes overall, and our D-line is broken up from last week's Navy game. It is not as close as the score indicates.
Tulane. 52-14 W...We RUN the ball on them in the second half. We pass the ball in the first half. They can stop neither. Our defense finds decent match-ups, and has their best day of the season.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:04 pm

SMU went 5-7 last year with a younger team and without our first string QB and RB. I think we win 8-9 games, Peavy starts and puts up good numbers.

7 home games. 3 cupcake ooc games...

I'm thinking SMU has a chance at a 2016 Colorado type season...(meaning surprise everyone with how much improvement there is)
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Call me crazy but i have a weird (in a good way) feeling about the TCU game. I think it will be a score fest as both defenses have trouble stoping anything.
gostangs

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Will be a huge plus to win any of those road games. Good year to have 7 home games because I think we are going to need all of them to become bowl eligible. Hope I'm wrong and these guys come out firing on all cylinders this year. Hope they can develop a solid 2 deep and stay healthy.
Charleston Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 pm

SFA W 38-10 Offense comes out shaky at first, then settles in for a big second half

UNT W 52-21 We're significantly more talented on both sides of the ball

TCU L 45-35 We finally keep it close for four quarters, but they're too good for us to win there

ASU W 38-31 No idea what to expect here, glad we get them at home

UConn W 48-31 A great start to conference play

UH L 41-34 A not so great start to conference road play

Cincy L 34-28 Don't see us winning this one on the road

Tulsa W 45-34 Should have beaten them last year, we get them back at Ford in 2017

UCF W 48-31 Unlike the HC debacle of 2016, Chad has the team ready to play/clinch bowl

Navy L 42-28 Might not even be that close. I hate playing Navy

Memphis L 38-35 Finally a respectable showing against UM, but not good enough

Tulane W 52-35 Nice send off for the seniors in their final home game

Record: 7-5 (4-4 AAC)

Boca Raton Bowl vs. Louisiana Tech W 42-31
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:59 pm

that's pretty much what I got penciled in
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:51 pm

Upgrades across the board on offense. I think we have enough talent and depth at QB now that one of them will step up. OL will be significantly better than last season.

Defensively, we take a step forward at LB, and McQueen has calmed my fears at safety. Corner should be good and DL is deeper than expected with playmakers at DE now that Scott, Badejo, Gary have matured along with Lawler. Consistent pass rush goes a long, long way towards stabilizing the defense.

Wins: SFA, UNT, ASU, UConn, Tulsa, Tulane, UCF

I think we win two tough road games- Cincy continues to regress and we upset one of TCU, UH, Navy, Memphis.

Bowl win gives us a 10 win season.

That said - road schedule is really tough. I wouldn't be disappointed with a 7 win season. Less than that would be underachieving.

Another bold prediction: we win 4 of the first 5 by 3+ touchdowns, and play TCU really close. Receiving votes going into the Houston game.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:30 am

I wish I was as confident of beating Arkansas State as most PonyFans seem to be. I will be pleased if we can find 7 wins and elated if these guys can win every home game and steal one on the road.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:19 am

The only advantage we have on Arkansas State is that they once again have a new coach. That has not slowed them with the last 4 or 5 changes but you never know how the change may affect the team.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby MadJack » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:36 am

Arkansas State has a new coach? Better tell Blake Anderson that, he has been the head coach for 3 years now. A really good coach at that.
MadJack
Scout Team

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:58 am

sbsmith wrote:
ojaipony wrote:Of course, a few could go either way: Houston at home, and at Cincy for example. I could see us winning both or losing both.

We play at Houston this season.

Thanks, I thought so. I should've known better than to get that schedule from the DMN.
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:00 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:SFA W 38-10 Offense comes out shaky at first, then settles in for a big second half

UNT W 52-21 We're significantly more talented on both sides of the ball

TCU L 45-35 We finally keep it close for four quarters, but they're too good for us to win there

ASU W 38-31 No idea what to expect here, glad we get them at home

UConn W 48-31 A great start to conference play

UH L 41-34 A not so great start to conference road play

Cincy L 34-28 Don't see us winning this one on the road

Tulsa W 45-34 Should have beaten them last year, we get them back at Ford in 2017

UCF W 48-31 Unlike the HC debacle of 2016, Chad has the team ready to play/clinch bowl

Navy L 42-28 Might not even be that close. I hate playing Navy

Memphis L 38-35 Finally a respectable showing against UM, but not good enough

Tulane W 52-35 Nice send off for the seniors in their final home game

Record: 7-5 (4-4 AAC)

Boca Raton Bowl vs. Louisiana Tech W 42-31

I'm kind of feeling similar. Not sure about all the details but that record is about how I feel we are. If we do better, I'd be ecstatic. If worse, very disappointed.
ojaipony

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:01 am

It is hell to get old. My mistake. I guess I am too close to Jonesboro to know what is going on. It was a new Basketball coach they hired, not football. My bad, mea culpa, I screwed up, please forgive, and thank you for the correction.

Now I am even more worried about the game.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Next

Return to Football