PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Way Too Early Prediction Time

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Way Too Early Prediction Time

Postby MadJack » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:18 am

Trust me brother, it sucks to get old. I was hoping Baylor would hire him, know that he was in the conversation. It will be a tough game, and except for a couple, they all will be. I have only been following the team the last 2 years and the change/growth is remarkable. I am really looking forward to this season. My prediction, 8-4, Hawaii Bowl (maybe that is because I want to visit there, ha).
MadJack
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Please Lord no Hawaii bowl. Christmas eve and expensive rules out 95% of an already smallish fan base. Of course any bowl will be fun and show progress so we wont start complaining about that quite yet.

6 wins - bummed
7 wins - expectation
8 wins - here we come! Extend this dude again and give him a raise.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:45 pm

Eternal optimist. All predicated on line play.

9 wins.

Shock the world. And me. And everyone on this board.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm

13-1 - Rose Bowl vs Alabama, SMU loses.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:34 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:41 pm

I like ECM's 7-5 prediction because its realistic. Predicts us to surrender about 33 ppg and more than 30 in about 10 games. We'll have to outscore teams to win this year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby smupony94 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Stallion wrote:Image

smupony94

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Our Cheerleaders are the BEST!-again. Numero Uno for 2nd year in a row

Stallion

Postby JasonB » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Stallion wrote:I like ECM's 7-5 prediction because its realistic. Predicts us to surrender about 33 ppg and more than 30 in about 10 games. We'll have to outscore teams to win this year

Playmakers at DE and talent in the secondary will go a long way to improve the defense. Lawler, Gary, Scott, Badejo, Horton is a pretty good rotation. If Gary is inside, him McLaurin, Gentry, WIlliams, Biggers is pretty solid.

Don't be surprised if the defense makes a very large step forward this season.
JasonB

Postby leopold » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:52 pm

I think we win eight and could shoot as high as 10 - am I crazy? I don't think there's a team on the schedule we can't beat and we get 7 home games. We may have the best skill positions in the conference and if the defense continues it's improvement - or at least shoots par - and we somehow improve in the kicking game we take a step forward as a whole as a team.
I said we would win 5 last year and we did. We should continue to take a step forward next year while the OOC schedule is slightly easier and a couple of programs could take a step back - Houston, Cincy, and Tulsa. Trading Cincy for ECU is a deal right now, and we beat ECU last year. Arkansas State isn't a pushover but they aren't Baylor, either. Is eight too high to hope for, with 10 being a possibility?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:14 pm

still below average (AAC level) overall at DT, all LB positions, and at one CB position and probably at Safety although they are getting there-we simply aren't there yet on Defense. High degree of confidence. McLaurin's out of shape, just about every kid we hoped might fill the huge problems at LB/Star missed most of Spring practice-which was not what we needed. As good as the reports are on Elijah McQueen-if you are counting on a true freshmen then you are counting on a questionmark. I think we are going to average 500+ yards on Offense so we'll outscore plenty of teams
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Stallion

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm

I have not heard one positive word about any improvement at linebacker, and that is the glaring weakness in our defense. If we do not improve there, we can have All Americans on the line and in the secondary and we will still give up too many points to win like we desire. Hopefully some one or two will step up and calm my fears.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Too late for any senior transfers to be automatically eligible. THere is a ton of opportunity for a big hoss LB to step right in. Would do wonders on our D and entire team.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:07 pm

No we've got AT LEAST one more scholarship available because they have a big first year JUCO OLM visiting this weekend who is immediately eligible to transfer if he wants to.

https://twitter.com/MaisenKnight/status ... 2926490624

Stallion

Postby JasonB » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:19 pm

gostangs wrote:Too late for any senior transfers to be automatically eligible. THere is a ton of opportunity for a big hoss LB to step right in. Would do wonders on our D and entire team.

Last time we got a grad transfer LB it didn't work out too well (Rice kid ;)).

33 is going to be a really good player, I think, at LB.

In today's game, you stop offenses by creating negative plays. We have playmakers to do that at DE + Gary, wherever he ends up playing.

I would hesitate at declaring Sutton or Davis at below AAC average at CB. They showed pretty well as true frosh last year.

Safety - Clemons and Onu have both shown flashes of potential, but when a guy like McQueen comes in and runs with the 1s the moment he steps on the field, and makes plays with picks in both of the scrimmages, he is going to be special. He anticipates well and is a ball hawk. Richardson/Millines made an impact as a freshman and impressed that first spring before he got hurt. You could tell he was going to be a good player. But from my eyes, McQueen has way more athleticism and is ahead of where Richardson/Millines was. Or Banjo for that matter, who was the other safety to come in and play right away.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Football