PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Home schedule

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Home schedule

Postby sbsmith » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:10 am

tristatecoog wrote:Gotta go to any bowl before you can go to a big bowl. What do the 2018 and 2019 OOC home schedules look like?

2018-Houston Baptist, TCU
2019-NTSU, Texas State
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Quarter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Was a game against one of the California directional schools the last OOC contest in the Cotton Bowl?

I would have preferred the last regular season game against a traditional SWC (I think that would have been Rice) but it didn't work out and we got over to Dallas for the one I'm not sure about.

California Northridge comes to mind, but it might as well have been California Southlake or California Mines, etc. Probably SW Oklahoma would have drawn a bigger crowd.

We bought our tickets from one of the kids outside the stadium for a few bucks and probably I spent way to much. There might have been 2,500 hundred that day, mostly in the lower level on the west side. There were a few folks enjoying the sun on the opposite side.

I am sure we'll do better in 2017.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 pm

I had a dream.
One Trick Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:35 pm

No Quarter wrote:Was a game against one of the California directional schools the last OOC contest in the Cotton Bowl?

I would have preferred the last regular season game against a traditional SWC (I think that would have been Rice) but it didn't work out and we got over to Dallas for the one I'm not sure about.

California Northridge comes to mind, but it might as well have been California Southlake or California Mines, etc. Probably SW Oklahoma would have drawn a bigger crowd.

Correct. Cal State Northridge November 13, 1999. Announced attendance of 7494 for a big 58-16 Ponies win!!!!!

Yes it would have been nice to close the Cotton Bowl with a traditional rival, but who knows maybe we will be back someday or maybe even at the fraud Cotton Bowl in Arlington in some future generation!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:20 am

You know it's really really bad when they market UCONN as a home game. I don't think a single game gets over 25K
Pony ^

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:37 am

I'd doubt any of these AAC opponents have ever drawn more than 20,000-22,000 to Ford (and probably have averaged 18,000. NTSU has
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby longbuzzer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Let's win 7-10 games for three straight years, and then revisit all of the contentious points made in this thread to see who was correct.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Those opponents will draw 25k plus easily after we are an established winner on the national stage. That theory is untested since 1985.

Happy to say I am wrong if we win 8 ish games for three years and they still aren't showing up.

What I know is Stallion wont say he is wrong, because he has never been wrong (and I say that in love fellow Mustang!)
gostangs

Postby skyscraper » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Would be shocked if there were actually more than 20k in Ford for any game except UNT.
skyscraper

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:08 pm

skyscraper wrote:Would be shocked if there were actually more than 20k in Ford for any game except UNT.

:shock:
Bergermeister

Postby sbsmith » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:11 pm

longbuzzer wrote:Let's win 7-10 games for three straight years, and then revisit all of the contentious points made in this thread to see who was correct.

We already know 7-8 wins won't move the needle.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:32 pm

The issue is whether you have to play the School for the Blind and 3 Blind Mice to build a strong Football Program. That is ridiculous [deleted]. Playing weak-ass opponents doesn't get you any closer to contending at a national level. It may save the Coach's job or get you a date to the Toilet Bowl but strong teams are built on recruiting and coaching-not a mirage built on the back of Stephen F. Austin. It just makes this "special generation" of SMU fans think they have a strong program.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Stallion has only been wrong once in the last 10 years
One Trick Pony

Postby peruna81 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Stallion has only been wrong once in the last 10 years

I remember that...it was the TCU game when JJ won.

He was giddy afterwards...I never thought I would see that day, but he was giddy.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:45 pm

OK twice - I like his sunshine
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football