PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Home schedule

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Home schedule

Postby Dukie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
No Quarter wrote:Was a game against one of the California directional schools the last OOC contest in the Cotton Bowl?

I would have preferred the last regular season game against a traditional SWC (I think that would have been Rice) but it didn't work out and we got over to Dallas for the one I'm not sure about.

California Northridge comes to mind, but it might as well have been California Southlake or California Mines, etc. Probably SW Oklahoma would have drawn a bigger crowd.

Correct. Cal State Northridge November 13, 1999. Announced attendance of 7494 for a big 58-16 Ponies win!!!!!

Yes it would have been nice to close the Cotton Bowl with a traditional rival, but who knows maybe we will be back someday or maybe even at the fraud Cotton Bowl in Arlington in some future generation!

I don't remember the details but Cal State-Northridge was a desperation add due to some scheduling snafu; someone better canceled, or maybe it was a conference-shakeup problem.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:22 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Stallion has only been wrong once in the last 10 years

(cough cough) Todd Dodge
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:23 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:Stallion has only been wrong once in the last 10 years

(cough cough) Todd Dodge

:mrgreen:
One Trick Pony

Postby West Coast Johnny » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:13 pm

That schedule is horrible. Pony fans that complained when the schedule was Baylor / TCU / A&M should grow a pair.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:34 pm

SMU basketball didn't establish itself by playing weak opponents. Just saying.

And yes, I get that there are plenty of cupcakes every year, blah blah blah. Point is when you play brand names and beat them, people will come.
Pony ^

Postby leopold » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:06 pm

For god sakes, of all the problems SMU football has had scheduling hasn't been one of them. Ever since we opened Ford we've played an array of SWC opponents, beatable opponents, local opponents, seven home games, and so on and so on. We haven't shown the capacity to beat anybody or pull-in a crowd regardless of our team or our opponent - it ain't the damned scheduling.
If we happen to have a less than desirable schedule just when we start putting a decent team back on the field, so be it. I want payback, too, but I can live with scheduling a potential 10 win season with seven home games to get us back on track. I'll be happy with giving the schedule maker a pass if people would just show up to see us play.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CBpony » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Pony ^ wrote:SMU basketball didn't establish itself by playing weak opponents. Just saying.

And yes, I get that there are plenty of cupcakes every year, blah blah blah. Point is when you play brand names and beat them, people will come.

I wouldn't consider SMU Basketball "established", up and coming is a more fitting adjective. Also its hard to gain any momentum or excitement for conference play when you consistently lose 3 to 4 out of conference games each year. The schedule this year is set up to provide a confidence boost heading into conference play.
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Football