PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Frisco Beach Bowl

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Frisco Beach Bowl

Postby FriscoChuck » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Yuck! Embarrassing if we get stuck in a bowl in Frisco!
FriscoChuck
All-American

Postby footballdad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Stallion wrote:in 2017 game will be against Sun Belt representative-but wait we will have already played a strong Sun Belt schedule in 2017. Some day you guys will figure out the only way for SMU to get major respect against teams we care about is in the Non-Conference. The only good Bowl Game matchups left will be against 6-6 P5 schools

'you guys' = Chad :shock:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 pm

One of these days Stallion will learn that losing 4 OOC games before October doesn't help us build a fan base. If we have learned anything, it is that.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AustinPerson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 pm

I work hard so my family and I don't have to live in Frisco.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 pm

A Football schedule doesn't have a damn thing to do with being a good football team. RECRUITING + COACHING makes a strong football team. Just when we are getting it all together you guys want to be satisfied with beating teams like NTSU, Houston Baptist, Abilene Christian, SFA and Arkansas St to earn a Bowl Bid against a 6-6 P5 or Sun Belt team or CUSA team. I want some payback-I want to beat some teams that have stuffing it in our faces for 3 decades just when we have a chance to compete with them finally.

How come so many are so excited for our basketball team to schedule Gonzaga, Michigan, Indiana, Stanford, Arkansas, USC, Virginia etc but are satisfied with these crap future schedule. You can not seriously argue that we can ever aspire to a P5 conference and at the same time be too damn scared to play that level of competition. NOTE the difference between our attitude about our football team and basketball team -in basketball we are asking for a tougher CONFERENCE schedule playing all the top AAC programs EVEN if it will hurt our chances to win the Conference. We want national prominence in Basketball.

Now is our chance to beat Texas Tech and Baylor and raise our profile. Nobody in Texas gives a damn about a single team on our future schedules except TCU and perhaps UH. There is very little difference between SMU in AAC Football and NTSU in CUSA to 98% of most Texans
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:01 pm

What Stallion is really trying to say above, while leaving out the 'you guys' distraction:

"A Football schedule doesn't have a damn thing to do with being a good football team. RECRUITING + COACHING makes a strong football team. Just when we are getting it all together Chad Morris wants to be satisfied with beating teams like NTSU, Houston Baptist, Abilene Christian, SFA and Arkansas St to earn a Bowl Bid against a 6-6 P5 or Sun Belt team or CUSA team. I want some payback-I want to beat some teams that have stuffing it in our faces for 3 decades just when we have a chance to compete with them finally."
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:06 pm

I agree with Stallion.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 pm

Except it happens in football more slowly - so i want the wins to help us RECRUIT - so that we can get better (not pretend better - but actually better) and then we can schedule up and have a shot.

We want the same thing. I just think there is a step in between where we get cheap wins which help us recruit and also builds a fan base. Having a 1 in 20 shot at Baylor or (fill in the blank former SWC foe that is not rice or houston) does nothing for us. If that mattered we would have gotten better 20 years ago.
gostangs

Postby footballdad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:11 pm

mrydel wrote:I agree with Stallion.

Got it. So is Chad Morris responsible for the weak schedule that Stallion hates, or no?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Would have liked to have kept Baylor on the schedule, along with unt, sfa and tcu. We have chances, just fewer of them right now. Gotta have a tcu win this year or next, just gotta have it.
Hoop Fan

Postby 78pony » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Agree with Stallion overall, while also agreeing to a degree with gostangs on the time it takes. But bottom line, we don't gain a thing mid - long term with ntsu, arky state, Sammy Houston, Stevie Austin and the like. I'm not thrilled to view those. So imagine the non-affiliate making a leisure time/ money decision.
78pony
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:26 pm

78pony wrote:Agree with Stallion overall, while also agreeing to a degree with gostangs on the time it takes. But bottom line, we don't gain a thing mid - long term with ntsu, arky state, Sammy Houston, Stevie Austin and the like. I'm not thrilled to view those. So imagine the non-affiliate making a leisure time/ money decision.

^this right here^
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Give me a 8-10 win season, then schedule up. Until we are good enough to win 8-10 on a weak schedule, we don't deserve to play a tougher schedule.
JasonB

Postby mustang addict » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:21 am

I see everyone's point. I most agree with Jason B at this time in our program.
mustang addict
Junior Varsity

Postby mtrout » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:53 am

I'm all for playing name teams. Hell we gave tcu and baylor a run in chad's first year when we were terrible.

My greatest desire right now however is to not be stuffed in a locker by memphis at homecoming like last year.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football