PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Frisco Beach Bowl

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Frisco Beach Bowl

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:01 am

JasonB wrote:Give me a 8-10 win season, then schedule up. Until we are good enough to win 8-10 on a weak schedule, we don't deserve to play a tougher schedule.

The challenge is how football games are scheduled - years in advance. Just because we're a 9-3 team one season doesn't mean we will be 3-4 years from now. I'm with the "mix" group (ex: TCU, Baylor, small local school and a body bag game). If you have a good team you come out of that at least 3-1.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:30 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
The challenge is how football games are scheduled - years in advance.

That's why we needed to keep taking our lumps until the team became good enough to win those games. Chicken out and who knows when you can get them back on the schedule.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby longbuzzer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Looks like this sudden bowl movement has everybody in a tizzy.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Will it be played at the mini Jerry World stadium? Drove by there yesterday and
it looked like you could bounce punts off of the roof. :lol:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 pm

If we are in it they might add temporary bleachers for the game
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Stallion wrote:A Football schedule doesn't have a damn thing to do with being a good football team. RECRUITING + COACHING makes a strong football team. Just when we are getting it all together you guys want to be satisfied with beating teams like NTSU, Houston Baptist, Abilene Christian, SFA and Arkansas St to earn a Bowl Bid against a 6-6 P5 or Sun Belt team or CUSA team. I want some payback-I want to beat some teams that have stuffing it in our faces for 3 decades just when we have a chance to compete with them finally.

How come so many are so excited for our basketball team to schedule Gonzaga, Michigan, Indiana, Stanford, Arkansas, USC, Virginia etc but are satisfied with these crap future schedule. You can not seriously argue that we can ever aspire to a P5 conference and at the same time be too damn scared to play that level of competition. NOTE the difference between our attitude about our football team and basketball team -in basketball we are asking for a tougher CONFERENCE schedule playing all the top AAC programs EVEN if it will hurt our chances to win the Conference. We want national prominence in Basketball.

Now is our chance to beat Texas Tech and Baylor and raise our profile. Nobody in Texas gives a damn about a single team on our future schedules except TCU and perhaps UH. There is very little difference between SMU in AAC Football and NTSU in CUSA to 98% of most Texans

Well said. Reflects what I have been posting. The schedule needs teams with interest and quality who will bring attention, fans, PR and media attention. Our current schedule has little interest to anyone resulting in little program progress.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:53 pm

mtrout wrote: My greatest desire right now however is to not be stuffed in a locker by memphis at homecoming like last year.

If I ever get stuffed in a locker, I want it to be one of those $10,000 UT lockers.
Bergermeister

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 pm

We are something like 0-54-1 post DP against Big12 'South' teams, pretty remarkable when you think about it.

We have also been unlucky recently as we scheduled Tech and OSU a few years ago when both were nationally ranked (and Baylor was down) then moved on to Baylor as they became prominent (while both Tech and OSU declined). That is simply bad luck.

Stallion is right, though. You have to keep playing teams that matter, especially now that we have teams that can at least be competitive.

The alternative is what we will witness this year at Ford, apathy.
SoCal_Pony

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:00 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:We are something like 0-54-1 post DP against Big12 'South' teams, pretty remarkable when you think about it.

We have also been unlucky recently as we scheduled Tech and OSU a few years ago when both were nationally ranked (and Baylor was down) then moved on to Baylor as they became prominent (while both Tech and OSU declined). That is simply bad luck.

Stallion is right, though. You have to keep playing teams that matter, especially now that we have teams that can at least be competitive.

The alternative is what we will witness this year at Ford, apathy.

We witness that every year at Ford.
CalallenStang

Postby PonyTime » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:02 am

JasonB wrote:Give me a 8-10 win season, then schedule up. Until we are good enough to win 8-10 on a weak schedule, we don't deserve to play a tougher schedule.

Are we not playing both TCU and Michigan next year?

Win our 8-10 this year and then step up to the plate next year. We win our OOC slate next year and we are ranked until we lose.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:58 am

longbuzzer wrote:Looks like this sudden bowl movement has everybody in a tizzy.

That's what Imodium is for....
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:34 am

Better than the billboard that used to welcome folks to Greenville, TX, which I will not repeat here.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyTime » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:51 pm

mrydel wrote:Better than the billboard that used to welcome folks to Greenville, TX, which I will not repeat here.

I had to look it up and found a photo of main street in the 60s. Unreal!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Tue May 23, 2017 3:01 pm

It's official.
Wed. Dec. 20 7 pm CT on ESPN
https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2017/05/2 ... networks-0
skyscraper

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue May 23, 2017 3:38 pm

but if invited, will SMU fans "travel" for that game? 20,000 seat venue about right for an AAC vs CUSA, MAC or SunBelt matchup.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football