PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If we go 12-0

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: If we go 12-0

Postby MadJack » Tue May 30, 2017 3:32 pm

While 12-0 will not get you to the playoff, 13-0 will get you to a New Year's Day game. I know it's dreaming, but heck the season is still 95 days away.
MadJack
Scout Team

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue May 30, 2017 6:03 pm

PonyTime wrote:
ponyfan777 wrote:Those 7 home games are all winnable and if the wind blows just right, all the moon n sun lines up, the refs fav colors are red, n blue and the Ponies get a few breaks go our way, those 5 road games could be winnable, as well. So, IF we somehow was to go 12-0, is there still "ZERO" chance of being one of the four teams playing for a National Title?

Go Ponies!

If every OOC team that we play goes 11-1, every conference opponent goes undefeated in OOC and we go 12-0, do we get into the playoff?

What if we win all 12 games and the American Championship by 50 points?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 pm

What's this "if" word?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue May 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Forget 12-0. If Chad Morris leads SMU to an 8-4 regular season this year, the stage is set...

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ring-2017/
Charleston Pony

Postby MadJack » Wed May 31, 2017 4:26 pm

The stage is set for what....? Do really believe that Texas A&M will rush to hire an unproven head coach with only 3 years experience, no conference championships and an overall record of 15-21 in a G5 conference? I don't buy it, Aggie pride will demand a bigger name with skins on the wall (ala Chip Kelly maybe) to compete with Saban. Don't get me wrong, an Aggie alumni returning to lead the team makes a great story, just don't see it. Having said that, if it happens, I am happy for him and his family. He has never made any bones about his desire to get that job and I respect him for that.
MadJack
Scout Team

Postby leopold » Wed May 31, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm not going to say that he's a shoe-in but he'll be a short list. It's just too obvious a name.

And I still say that we're poised for an 8 win season, especially with this schedule. They HAVE to be feeling their oats right about now. He wins 9 games at a team he took over at 1 win three years earlier and he's this year's Tom Herman.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 31, 2017 10:39 pm

even the "miracle worker" June Jones couldn't get SMU to any better than 8-5 and did not beat top 25 teams. Chad already has the Houston win and anyone who is watching closely recognizes what he has been able to do in recruiting kids to play for SMU (the graveyard for coaches?). IMO, he would compete in the SEC at A$M in very short order, but we shall see how this all plays out.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Wed May 31, 2017 11:35 pm

I tend to agree that A&M wouldn't go after Chad unless he wins 9-10 games which is doubtful-but Chad might be in the conversation at 8 wins. You guys downplaying Chad based on Year 1 and 2 are clueless-he has done an unbelievable job so far to anyone that knows where this is heading. The only thing holding Chad Morris back is SMU and its (lack of) fans. He'll win at SMU with or without fans and then move on when they don't show up SMU fans will blame Turner-when in fact the vaunted SMU Deep Pocket alumni failed miserably to live up to their P5 bluster.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:20 am

I am not downplaying Chad's ability. I just think Aggie would want more experience. But who knows for sure what Aggie ever thinks.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Most Aggies would first want Chris Peterson from U of W. Think for a minute about how long it took to get Peterson out of Boise, when he had multiple offers every year. My bet is he says no to College Station.

Stallion made a point about # of wins being a factor as to whether Morris is sought after...to some folks, Morris hasn't done the heavy lifting here at SMU per the return yet. To folks who know football he is VERY well thought of, and like Baylor last year, is going to generate a good bit of attention after this season.

I think Aggie WILL put him on the short list.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Peterson's a fool if he leaves UW. Washington is a proven program with the ability to pay in a great city. He ain't leaving for flippin' College Station.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Peterson has also formed relationships on the west coast that he would not be able to recruit from as easily in Texas
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:34 pm

The only caveat to your statement Leopold and CP is, of course, $$$$$. But Peterson hasn't succumbed to the "pay only as a motivator" in the past. I don't see him going to Aggieland either, but remember, A&M followers were sure that Saban was on their short list the last time too.

The absurdity is strong in this one....
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Oldmins » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:42 am

The very week we win that last game to go 12-0, Donald Trump appoints Hillary Clinton to the Supreme Court. Watch for it.
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:18 pm

peruna81 wrote:The only caveat to your statement Leopold and CP is, of course, $$$$$. But Peterson hasn't succumbed to the "pay only as a motivator" in the past. I don't see him going to Aggieland either, but remember, A&M followers were sure that Saban was on their short list the last time too.

The absurdity is strong in this one....

What do you call the move to Washington from Boise? :roll:
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football