PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How things have changed

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How things have changed

Postby gostangs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:55 am

Jerry world is a beat down. No interest in that place, unless we are in the cotton bowl.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:09 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
mrydel wrote:Why do people keep wanting a game in the Cotton Bowl or Jerry's place? We cannot draw enough fans. When we last played Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl we were out numbered 4 to 1. The only chance we have for home field advantage is to be able to limit the opposing team fans, and we need Ford for that.

The same reason why people want us to play Alabama when we can't stay on the same field as Memphis.

I want us to play P5 competition. If we want to be with them we had best play with them. If we are too scared to do so then we need to concede we will never get better. And yes, we should also try to beat Memphis.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby longbuzzer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:39 pm

I am not an advocate of the Cotton Bowl Stadium over Ford. I was just throwing out some ideas about reaching out to Dallas (as stated previously, our strongest asset). A big party every now and then at the old dame during the fair wouldn't be bad.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby Topper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:24 pm

These Jerryworld matchups kill any chance we have of drawing big time opponents to Ford not to mention the casual fans they draw away from our games.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:50 pm

We did not out draw major opponents in Texas Stadium in the hey days. We need to be in Ford. People can find it as easily as they can find the Cotton Bowl.
mrydel

Postby Topper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:43 pm

We at least got Arkansas to play us in Dallas. I don't see them A&M or Baylor knocking the doors down to play us here anytime soon now that they are invited to play at AT&T regularly.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:48 pm

I agree. I did not mean to imply we could get these teams to play us in Ford. I just said I do not want to play them in the Cotton Bowl. We would lose home field advantage.
mrydel

Postby Stangs1970 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:05 pm

I am not a TCU fan and I hate that bully punk Patterson. But they did the work and deserve what they have earned. They had better not have another season back to back like the last one tho......if they do it will signal Rome has Fallen a notch. We will see.

All we can do is continue with what we have started. Commit to it like they did and let the players into the school that change programs like TCU has done. If not kiss the dream bye bye.
Stangs1970
Junior Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:48 am

sbsmith wrote:
longbuzzer wrote:Now TCU has announced a home and home with Ohio State, with the 2019 game in AT&T stadium, AKA the death star. The 2019 game will pay each team $5M.

Meanwhile, we are probably working on another game like SFA, where we will make $50K.

I read on Ponyfans that playing teams no one cares about will grow the fanbase and attract better recruits.

Yes , that's what Chad says :lol: . But, I think most of you are missing the point........Chad wants out of here and the
quickest, most efficient way to accomplish this is to pad his resume with cheap wins against teams that most of us long
suffering fans (not to mention the general public) care little about. This WILL NOT help our program !!!!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:59 am

What will help our program is to man-up and keep the Michigan game
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:02 am

ponypatrick wrote:
sbsmith wrote:
longbuzzer wrote:Now TCU has announced a home and home with Ohio State, with the 2019 game in AT&T stadium, AKA the death star. The 2019 game will pay each team $5M.

Meanwhile, we are probably working on another game like SFA, where we will make $50K.

I read on Ponyfans that playing teams no one cares about will grow the fanbase and attract better recruits.

Yes , that's what Chad says :lol: . But, I think most of you are missing the point........Chad wants out of here and the
quickest, most efficient way to accomplish this is to pad his resume with cheap wins against teams that most of us long
suffering fans (not to mention the general public) care little about. This WILL NOT help our program !!!!

Bingo ^^^^^^^

Ironically, for all the good things he's done, this schedule is 100% designed and approved by Chad himself.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:07 pm

mrydel wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
mrydel wrote:Why do people keep wanting a game in the Cotton Bowl or Jerry's place? We cannot draw enough fans. When we last played Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl we were out numbered 4 to 1. The only chance we have for home field advantage is to be able to limit the opposing team fans, and we need Ford for that.

The same reason why people want us to play Alabama when we can't stay on the same field as Memphis.

I want us to play P5 competition. If we want to be with them we had best play with them. If we are too scared to do so then we need to concede we will never get better. And yes, we should also try to beat Memphis.

Agree, but we need to crawl before we run. Schedule and beat the Kansases and Purdues before we schedule the USCs and Ohio States.

Best scheduling policy for a school like ours is:

Local P5 (TCU)
Non-local P5 you should beat (Purdue, Kansas, Boston College, etc.)
G5 you will beat (UNT serves this purpose currently)
G5 disaster of a program or bad FCS to get a blowout win and get playing time for second string (NOT JAMES MADISON)

Go 3-1 on that consistently and then upgrade.
CalallenStang

Postby mrydel » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:58 pm

I am not asking for USC or Ohio State. I said let's play P5 competition and let's play them at Ford.
mrydel

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:41 pm

"TCU will visit Purdue in 2019, and Ohio State will host Miami (Ohio). Purdue agreed to play in Fort Worth in 2029."

Looks like TCU fans are ticked that they paid for stadium renovations and the home and home got moved to a single game at Jerry World. They get a whopping $5M for this game.

tOSU realized that they could make money on the deal ($5M on the TX game and host a game). TCU had to schedule a 1:1 with Purdue with the FW game in 2029!

If you do this like Herman did, just get ranked and win conference. You can still lose a game, like we did at UConn. We squeaked out a 3-point road win at UofL and beat Vandy at home but that was it. Fortunately, we beat Memphis on a missed last second FG and also beat Navy and Temple at home. We got SMU on a rebuilding year. That was the "rebuild" and enthusiasm spark. Beating FSU was icing on the cake but Herman was already ready to leave. In year 2, he had eyes elsewhere or couldn't win some of the key conference games but he built things up a bit. Hopefully SMU's only loss this year is at Houston but you need to win the title and be the highest ranked G5....not too easy with this schedule. It's possible with big wins and wins over decent conference mates. If Chad can accomplish that, he'll deserve a fatter contract.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 pm

mrydel wrote:I am not asking for USC or Ohio State. I said let's play P5 competition and let's play them at Ford.

You aren't, but others seem to be doing so.

Tough to get those teams at Ford. I'd err on the side of playing them. If they want 2-for-1s or 1-and-nones, let's go for it.
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football