PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How things have changed

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How things have changed

Postby PonySnob » Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Just avoid home losses that could be classified as "prison rapes"
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Tue May 02, 2017 9:40 pm

Especially for homecoming. The past 2 decades of SMU ball have my expectations on the ground floor as usual but I could also see us rolling through 10-2 on this bum-ass schedule.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed May 03, 2017 6:51 am

PonySnob wrote:Just avoid home losses that could be classified as "prison rapes"

We have the inevitable Seaman Rape... at Navy this year.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby footballdad » Wed May 03, 2017 12:35 pm

mtrout wrote:Especially for homecoming. The past 2 decades of SMU ball have my expectations on the ground floor as usual but I could also see us rolling through 10-2 on this bum-ass schedule.

And herein lies the disconnect. Ask Morris if he thinks this is a 'bum-ass' schedule and he'd probably laugh, and get a little upset at the same time. Sure the non-conf isn't Baylor, TCU, and A@M, but it most likely provides a 3-1 start, against teams that should bring a decent amount of fans to Ford.

Jump to the conference schedule, and outside of UConn, there isn't a 'highly likely' win among the other 7 games. All decent to good teams and games that could go either way.

Unfortunately, the majority of SMU fans/students/alumni/most on this board............also think this is a 'bum-ass' schedule. And people wonder why Morris already has one foot out the door.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Wed May 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Sagarin ratings of opponents:
#202 SFA
#146 UNT
#49 TCU
#55 Ark St
#154 UConn
#56 Houston
#117 Cincinnati
#29 Tulsa
#86 UCF
#61 Navy
#50 Memphis
#109 Tulane

I hope the goal is an AAC title not just a 6-6 bowl game.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Wed May 03, 2017 5:00 pm

mtrout wrote:Sagarin ratings of opponents:
#202 SFA
#146 UNT
#49 TCU
#55 Ark St
#154 UConn
#56 Houston
#117 Cincinnati
#29 Tulsa
#86 UCF
#61 Navy
#50 Memphis
#109 Tulane

I hope the goal is an AAC title not just a 6-6 bowl game.

Our Sagarin rating was 92 which is only better than five of those teams
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mrydel » Wed May 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Is this actually saying Tulsa is hands down better than anyone else on our schedule including TCU? I find that questionable.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby sbsmith » Wed May 03, 2017 5:32 pm

mrydel wrote:Is this actually saying Tulsa is hands down better than anyone else on our schedule including TCU? I find that questionable.

It's suggesting that was the case for the 2016 season which of course is questionable since they did lose to Houston and Navy. It doesn't have much relevance for the 2017 season.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Wed May 03, 2017 6:51 pm

I don't see much more than modest improvement on Defense (minus Navy game where I think we called it in because of Morris rumors). Therefore, I think its doubtful we run the table. We have issues and/or inexperience at every Defensive position except perhaps DE, one CB, one DL . Otherwise, we got some potential mostly from guys who haven't proven they are average AAC level players-yet. That's what you call QUESTIONMARKS until they prove otherwise. Compare the proven accomplishments of our younger players on Offense with those on Defense. In many cases our younger Offensive players have proven they are quality AAC level players with All-AAC potential. About the only one on Defense you can say that about is Demerick. Most previews have come to the same conclusion on Defense
Last edited by Stallion on Wed May 03, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed May 03, 2017 6:54 pm

sbsmith wrote:Our Sagarin rating was 92 which is only better than five of those teams

Historically Sagarin has a tendency to underrate us though
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby longbuzzer » Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 pm

We have probably have all been in a bar and taken an over and under sports bet, Sagarin ratings, as listed above, and with our 92 rating, predicts us at 5-7 for the season. With that record as the over and under (5 wins ties), I would bet a round of drinks for the bar on the over.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed May 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Ill eat my hat if we don't win 6 games or over.
gostangs

Postby Bergermeister » Wed May 03, 2017 7:44 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote: We have the inevitable Seaman Rape... at Navy this year.

You can pencil that one in... (in ink)
Bergermeister

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed May 03, 2017 7:51 pm

longbuzzer wrote:We have probably have all been in a bar and taken an over and under sports bet, Sagarin ratings, as listed above, and with our 92 rating, predicts us at 5-7 for the season. With that record as the over and under (5 wins ties), I would bet a round of drinks for the bar on the over.

Should be easy money if you can find 5 as the O/U in Vegas
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby sail420s » Thu May 04, 2017 11:07 am

PoconoPony wrote:It is all about the quality of competition and regional interest. Nothing wrong with Ford; problem is that our schedule has no interest for most games. To lure people from outside of SMU there has got to be something they want to see. Our schedule does not interest anyone including the most ardent fans who post on this board.

Is the goal to have a large home attendance or get better as a program? I know one of the issues of recruiting is the lack of attendance, but I don't think it will help If we sell out every game to UT or ALA fans and get clobbered every time. We may as well play all away games. Going 10-2 consistently will get us better recruits, even if it is against mediocre teams. We may not be able to compete with FSU, but the recruits will be better than the ones we get as a 2-10 that loses by 50 every year to top teams. Once you can get those better recruits you can schedule tougher marquis opponents.
sail420s
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football