PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How things have changed

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How things have changed

Postby Stallion » Fri May 05, 2017 12:10 pm

I'll concede I'm not as concerned about a one year weak schedule in 2017 to make sure we are bowl eligible-what I'm more concerned about is the games with schools like Houston Baptist and Abilene Christian in the future, the likelihood Michigan game gets cancelled and no other games on future schedule that anybody gives a damn about. I don't have a problem with NTSU which is a reasonable regional opponent that draws decent crowds-plus I get to go to an extra drivable game.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri May 05, 2017 12:40 pm

sbsmith wrote:
gostangs wrote:Thats why you build up your own fan base by beating chumps, until you are thought of as good - (or at least decent) and then you schedule up to the next rung and don't have to worry who travels with the lower P-5's. Stallions solution is to just schedule the old southwest conference. We are what, 1 and 50 in the last 15 yrs? That is what has gotten us no fans so lets do it some more!! Yeh haw!

Beating up on chumps won't build a fanbase because no one cares about those teams (even the lower P5s) and they won't care about us if that's all we ever play. We'll just be that team that beats up on nobodies because they're too afraid to play anyone good. Playing and beating the old SWC is the only way we'll ever gain in any traction in this region because those are the teams everyone cares about.

My only point is it takes the chumps first to build to the old SWC wins due to increased recruiting when you start getting on a roll. It is a sequence. we don't get to jump the line.
gostangs

Postby leopold » Fri May 05, 2017 2:02 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Do some of you really think he could've had the Baylor job, or any other D1 HC job right now?

Yes and yes. I'd bet a paycheck on it.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MadJack » Fri May 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Did I miss something (that is entirely possible)? Why do many on this board think that the Michigan game will be cancelled? Which do you believe would cancel, Michigan or SMU? I think it is pretty hard to cancel and re-schedule since most teams schedule 5-10 years in advance. SMU has no reason to cancel, probably a national prime time game and fielding a group of seniors that will be one of the best ever at SMU (IMO). Why would Michigan cancel? good opponent, home game, probably not having to write a HUGE check. Cancellation doesn't make sense to me. I can't wait to go to the Big House for my son's senior year, please don't let it get cancelled.
MadJack
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Fri May 05, 2017 4:14 pm

If we keep the Michigan game, I am there.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby sbsmith » Fri May 05, 2017 6:31 pm

gostangs wrote:
My only point is it takes the chumps first to build to the old SWC wins due to increased recruiting when you start getting on a roll. It is a sequence. we don't get to jump the line.

We don't need the chumps to increase recruiting. The right coach can use the old SWC to enhance recruiting. Jumping the line is the only way we're going to get to the front.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri May 05, 2017 8:46 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:CP, I still think that is an optimistic assumption. Our only P5 wins in the last twenty years are against two of the worst programs in P5 history - Kansas and Washington St. And we still have no wins against against area Big 12/SEC schools that matter. Unless we pull off a major shocker this year in FW (our only P5 opponent) we will go another year without a signature P5 win. The Houston win last year was big, and so was the TCU win in 2011, but at the end of the day neither were P5 wins. That is why this year's OOC schedule is so disappointing. One of the three no-names (SFA, UNT and Ark St) should've been against a TT, Missouri, Northwestern, Purdue type P5.

Instead, best case scenario is we start 3-1 and 95% of alums/fans have already checked out because we've only played one significant school and that was a loss. Therefore, 10,000-15,000 will show against our remaining no name home conference opponents as we try to get to seven wins for very minor bowl appearance. I still don't understand SMU's goal for the program. The school NEVER addresses the major attendance issue. Try something, anything to get non-SMU people to the games but it never happens. I'm certain this is the year when Morris is fighting to get us to bowl eligibility in November against UCF or Tulsa and he'll look up in the Ford stands and see about 5,000 people and finally think, what the hell am I doing here? Same thing that happened with JJ. For a school that claims to be smart, we keep doing the same things over and over expecting different results. But hey, just wait until next season. That will be our year.

Solid post, LA, although I suspect CM had one foot out the door before he ever step foot on the Hilltop.

I share your frustration regarding our lackadaisical approach to marketing our FB program. It's maddening.

My OOC schedule:

TCU - 10 out of 10 years
NTSU - close to 10 out of 10 years
SFA, Ark St, UTEP, Grambling, Rice, Texas St, UTSA, New Mexico - our other cupcake opponent

Potential other P5 opponent -

Arizona
Arizona St
Kansas
Iowa St
Minnesota
Iowa
Purdue
Mississippi
Mississippi St (hope they return to norm)
Baylor, Tech, Ok St
SoCal_Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Sun May 07, 2017 12:30 am

MadJack wrote:Did I miss something (that is entirely possible)? Why do many on this board think that the Michigan game will be cancelled? Which do you believe would cancel, Michigan or SMU? I think it is pretty hard to cancel and re-schedule since most teams schedule 5-10 years in advance. SMU has no reason to cancel, probably a national prime time game and fielding a group of seniors that will be one of the best ever at SMU (IMO). Why would Michigan cancel? good opponent, home game, probably not having to write a HUGE check. Cancellation doesn't make sense to me. I can't wait to go to the Big House for my son's senior year, please don't let it get cancelled.

Agreed, Michigan seems to be ready. http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/05/mich ... schedules/
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun May 07, 2017 10:46 am

The weird thing right now is we don't seem to even be filling out the future schedules. No announcments of any series that I have heard. Doesn't matter too much if we go 7-5 instead of 8-4 I don't think. It's about quality wins to grab attention. How did tcu do it? They caught USC down and sleeping one day and got some momentum and enthusiasm going. Our past record is irrelevant to the present and future, that's just people feeling sorry for themselves. Schedule what you aspire to be. If you would like to see yourself as a mid level b12 team, work like hell to line up those type teams
consistently. K State, Tech, Baylor, okie state.
Hoop Fan

Postby FriscoChuck » Sun May 07, 2017 4:03 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I'm certain this is the year when Morris is fighting to get us to bowl eligibility in November against UCF or Tulsa and he'll look up in the Ford stands and see about 5,000 people and finally think, what the hell am I doing here? .

This is exact thought Larry Brown had. Winning will fix that, it will lead to stronger opponents and eventually an overflowing Ford.
FriscoChuck
All-American

Postby mtrout » Sun May 07, 2017 5:30 pm

We can overflow 7,000 seat Moody with a ~#10 ranked NCAA team. Much harder to fill Ford at 32k. When we beat #11 Houston last year, I remember sitting there in the 4th like "This might be the greatest win in 30 years and this place is maybe 60% full."

We'll see. I think we can win the freakin conference this year if we stay healthy. Hopefully it won't be June vs UCF part2 towards the end of the seaon.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Sun May 07, 2017 5:45 pm

mtrout wrote:We can overflow 7,000 seat Moody with a ~#10 ranked NCAA team. Much harder to fill Ford at 32k. When we beat #11 Houston last year, I remember sitting there in the 4th like "This might be the greatest win in 30 years and this place is maybe 60% full."

We'll see. I think we can win the freakin conference this year if we stay healthy. Hopefully it won't be June vs UCF part2 towards the end of the seaon.

Losses in weeks 10 and 11, on the road against Navy & Memphis, and Morris will be lucky to have 10k in the stands against Tulane for the finale. Less than that if it's cold.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Sun May 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Hah...like that one year where we played in the ice bowl vs UCF needing a win for a bowl bid and they just let people park and go into the stands for free. There was NOBODY there and they announced 12,000.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Sun May 07, 2017 6:18 pm

mtrout wrote:Hah...like that one year where we played in the ice bowl vs UCF needing a win for a bowl bid and they just let people park and go into the stands for free. There was NOBODY there and they announced 12,000.

Yeah, 12,000 (-9,000) :shock:

Best guess this year, 6 wins going into the final 3 games. Lose 2 very tough road games to Navy & Memphis. Crickets for Tulane because of the 2 prior losses, already bowl eligible, weather not nice enough for shorts/t-shirts/flip flops.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Sun May 07, 2017 6:21 pm

mtrout wrote:Hah...like that one year where we played in the ice bowl vs UCF needing a win for a bowl bid and they just let people park and go into the stands for free. There was NOBODY there and they announced 12,000.

Tickets sold is announced.

I've been to a few games in the last few years with attendance worse than the ice bowl
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football