PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How things have changed

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How things have changed

Postby longbuzzer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:56 am

In the 1980's, we played in Texas Stadium and road the Cowboys' coat tails.

Now TCU has announced a home and home with Ohio State, with the 2019 game in AT&T stadium, AKA the death star. The 2019 game will pay each team $5M.

Meanwhile, we are probably working on another game like SFA, where we will make $50K.

No wonder my doctor says I drink too much.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Re: How things have changed

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:15 am

Is the Iron Skillet series continuing after next fall?

Don't think I've seen them on the future schedules yet after 2017.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby longbuzzer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:35 am

Good question. TCU also confirmed a P5 OOC lineup into the next decade. Could be a strategy (Big12 related possibly) to elevate schedules and address conference image problems.

Don't worry, they will come crawling back.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:43 pm

This will be TCU's 4th National Spotlight game at JerryWorld-their goal is to be recognized as the preeminent football program in the talent-rich Metroplex. The University of the DFW Metroplex just like USC of Los Angeles.

TCU defeated Oregon State and BYU in the 2010 and 2011 seasons, respectively, before dropping a 2013 decision to LSU.

SMU is trying to back door itself into the Tumbleweed Bowl against the 3rd place Sun Belt team. Nobody in Dallas cares about a single game on our future schedule except UH while the majority of TCU games appeal to the local College Football fan and more importantly the top recruits
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Not sure why anybody is still trying to compare SMU to TCU. It's like comparing Trinity High School to the Dallas Cowboys.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby longbuzzer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Interesting enough, I generally find low interest in P5 football when I talk to alumni of football schools not in the P5. That is a large block of people in Texas (think Houston, NT, UTEP, UTSA, Rice, SMU, SFA).

What are we supposed to do? Run out and buy TCU vs Purdue tickets?
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:00 pm

I do get tired of the ongoing comparisons with TCU. We blew our chances with Pye and associated problems following his tenure and are paying the price. Finally we improved under Jones and more so under Morris. We are not now P5, so we have to do our best with our circumstances. It is still football and I love winning no matter the opponent and love the kids who work at it for us. And winning may pay off in some future reshuffling. BTW, having lived in LA for many years, USC is not "The University" of LA, UCLA has just as many admirers, just as good a reputation and certainly better most years in BBall, and maybe more fans not to mention a much more attractive campus in a fancy neighborhood. Much like SMU.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:14 pm

longbuzzer wrote:Now TCU has announced a home and home with Ohio State, with the 2019 game in AT&T stadium, AKA the death star. The 2019 game will pay each team $5M.

Meanwhile, we are probably working on another game like SFA, where we will make $50K.

I read on Ponyfans that playing teams no one cares about will grow the fanbase and attract better recruits.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:21 pm

The only way we move the needle is to beat real teams in the preseason consistently no matter what anybody else says
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:24 pm

That 0-54-1 mark or whatever it is looms large. But hey, we have a trip to the big house coming up next year.
RGV Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Gang Stranged?
One Trick Pony

Postby mtrout » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:00 pm

RGV Pony wrote:That 0-54-1 mark or whatever it is looms large. But hey, we have a trip to the big house coming up next year.

I pray we keep this game with Michigan. However I fully expect it to be replaced with a matchup against Texas State.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby longbuzzer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 am

Our best ex-SW conf series have been TCU, Baylor and Tech. It wouldn't be the end of the world to pester those guys for future dates. Perhaps a one-for-old-times-sake in the Cotton Bowl Stadium during the state fair.

Contributing to the City of Dallas is our ace in the hole. I have always thought we need to commission a first class statue of Ernie Banks and donate it to Klyde Warren Park, near his boyhood home.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:46 am

Why do people keep wanting a game in the Cotton Bowl or Jerry's place? We cannot draw enough fans. When we last played Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl we were out numbered 4 to 1. The only chance we have for home field advantage is to be able to limit the opposing team fans, and we need Ford for that.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby CalallenStang » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:27 am

mrydel wrote:Why do people keep wanting a game in the Cotton Bowl or Jerry's place? We cannot draw enough fans. When we last played Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl we were out numbered 4 to 1. The only chance we have for home field advantage is to be able to limit the opposing team fans, and we need Ford for that.

The same reason why people want us to play Alabama when we can't stay on the same field as Memphis.
CalallenStang

Next

Return to Football