PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OU wants out of Big XII

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OU wants out of Big XII

Postby EastStang » Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am

According to a Sports Day Q&A, OU and UT want out of the Big XII, article doesn't say where or with whom. The article went on to say that if they left Big XII would back fill with UH and SMU, but that it wouldn't be a P5 conference anymore. So, the question is stay in AAC or join TCU, Baylor, TT, OSU, UH, KU, KSU, ISU, WV in reconstituted Big XII (maybe adding Cincy and Navy for FB/WSU for hoops).
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: OU wants out of Big XII

Postby ponyfan37 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:13 pm

If this situation were to happen and we had the opportunity to go the Big 12, it would be an easy decision (even without OU and Texas). Football would obviously be watered down but there would still be quality programs. And basketball would be significantly improved over the AAC. But OU and Texas won't be able to leave until the Big 12 Grant of Rights is up which isn't until like 2024.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri May 05, 2017 12:36 pm

I believe many SMU fans would rather join the Southland Conference so we can get to 10 wins since Dallas luvs a winner. We've lost 50 straight games against Big 12 South-stupid to play them when we've successfully beat or scheduled teams like Houston Baptist, Abilene Christian, Central Arkansas and Stephen F. Austin to the roaring approval of many SMU fans
Last edited by Stallion on Fri May 05, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mtrout » Fri May 05, 2017 12:41 pm

We have shown the ability lose to Texas A&M, UNT, or James Madison. We've got range.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Fri May 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Every school in the Big XII wants out of the Big XII, save Baylor who is untouchable and would have no other options. It's getting old having people act like this is news.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyfan37 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:16 pm

leopold wrote:Every school in the Big XII wants out of the Big XII, save Baylor who is untouchable and would have no other options. It's getting old having people act like this is news.

But the only valuable schools are OU, UT and Kansas.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby CA Mustang » Fri May 05, 2017 2:20 pm

ponyfan37 wrote:
leopold wrote:Every school in the Big XII wants out of the Big XII, save Baylor who is untouchable and would have no other options. It's getting old having people act like this is news.

Only KU basketball has value and football drives conference realignment.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Fri May 05, 2017 2:51 pm

ponyfan37 wrote:

Honestly, I disagree.

No seriously.

OSU might be the most underappreciated program in the country. Great funding thanks to TBoone and competitive across the board, but it can't be easy having Boomer Sooner as a big brother, overshadowing them.

Tech's loaded with potential. West Virginia and KSU have consistently overachieved as programs. There isn't a bad program in the bunch, if Baylor could only clean their damned act up.

But they can't get along and they're tired of getting rejected, and those things became intertwined. They could have made this work, even with the undersized media market. Still could. But they don't trust each other anymore and the if school who insisted to be the focal point of the conference isn't committed than nobody is. They have to get the money sorted out and they need an identity as a conference. Need group therapy worse than any lot I've ever seen.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyfan37 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:03 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
ponyfan37 wrote:

Only KU basketball has value and football drives conference realignment.

Football drives realignment, but KU would be a great partner for OU or UT to bring a long. They are easily one of the 5 best basketball programs. I think the KU basketball brand brings more value than any of the remaining schools football brands.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri May 05, 2017 5:40 pm

It will be interesting to read everyone's thoughts on this realignment.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 pm

I've always thought that after the next big realignment in 2024 we'll end up in a watered down Big XII with TCU, Baylor, Houston, and who knows who else.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri May 05, 2017 11:05 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I've always thought that after the next big realignment in 2024 we'll end up in a watered down Big XII with TCU, Baylor, Houston, and who knows who else

I might actually feel sorry for the frogs, but I doubt it.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat May 06, 2017 6:51 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:I've always thought that after the next big realignment in 2024 we'll end up in a watered down Big XII with TCU, Baylor, Houston, and who knows who else.

I tend to agree and could see that happening in the long run IF Texas, OU, OSU and TTech end up in the PAC 16 which to me is the most likely scenario. It all comes down to the $$ because the SEC would probably like to have just UT and OU although A$M might object to inviting the whorns. The last round of expansion messed up the SEC's geographic alignment with Missou playing in the east, but adding just UT and OU would clean up their west/east divisions. Only problem with playing in the PAC is the west coast exposure factor because too many people on the east coast are not going to stay up and watch those late night west coast games. Not sure the PAC could generate the same revenue as the SEC but I will admit I have not followed that very closely.

I would love to be reunited with more of our old SWC mates and and see the Big XII get back to 12 teams in whatever the new conference might be called. TCU, Baylor, Kansas, KSU, SMU & Houston in the west and ISU, WVU, UCF, USF, Cincy & Memphis in the East sound good to anyone?
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:30 pm

We have a LONG way to go before we are competitively ready for the Big 12 (in whatever form it is). Expansion to the Big 12 will mean expansion into other sports by necessity. SMU has no choice but to roll the dice and bet on the next round of expansion...and shut it down if we find ourselves on the outside afterwards.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Sat May 06, 2017 3:47 pm

How long did it take Baylor to be competitive in Big 12 Football, about 10 years or so? They got there with the right coach. And Kansas and Iowa State still aren't vying for any Football championships. I think we could do it in 5 years even though we have beat TCU since they were in the Big 12 haven't we? In all other sports we sponsor we are currently competitive.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football