PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Meanwhile in Aggieland... Sumlin hot seat

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Meanwhile in Aggieland... Sumlin hot seat

Postby skyscraper » Wed May 31, 2017 11:12 am

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... c-director

A&M athletic director Scott Woodward told Paul Finebaum, “Coach knows he has to win and he has to win this year.”

“Last year was extremely disappointing,” Woodward began, “We were as highly ranked as 4 and got up there and played very competitive games and fell off, like we’ve been doing.

“We just wanna make darn sure that we’re gonna get it right. We’ve had a heck of a spring. Recruiting continues to go well.”

After Finebaum’s follow-up, Woodward said there isn’t a specific wins mark A&M has to hit and that he has “confidence” Sumlin can get it done.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Meanwhile in Aggieland... Sumlin hot seat

Postby flockofseagulls » Wed May 31, 2017 11:42 am

really curious as to what the AD's success criteria is... beat everyone on their schedule except Bama and LSU? have to think that keeps Sumlin his job... can they afford to drop any other games? maybe UF since it's east division? no doubt the remaining division games - the MS schools and Auburn - are must-wins.

i hate having a vested interest in these guys this year...
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Wed May 31, 2017 11:55 am

Meanwhile back at the Pony Corral, Chad, armed with "patsy"schedule that no one but him is excited about,
can't wait for the season to begin !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby footballdad » Wed May 31, 2017 1:07 pm

ponypatrick wrote:Meanwhile back at the Pony Corral, Chad, armed with "patsy"schedule that no one but him is excited about,

Chad giddy and nervous at the same time. His vision is unfolding almost exactly as planned. 8+ wins for him, and 8- wins for Sumlin and the $$$$$, P5, adoration, and reunion are his!
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Wed May 31, 2017 1:42 pm

Can't keep losing to struggling Mississippi State and Ole Miss teams and then blow leads to K State. Aggie could have very easily been 10-2 at the end of the season and gone to the Sugar Bowl instead of Auburn. People would have had a very different view of Sumlin had that happened and they not been blown out.

Hoping and praying A&M lives up to expectations this year so we have a shot at year 4 with Morris. If they get past UCLA then they have a very manageable schedule with the exception of 'Bama, whom they get at Kyle Field.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed May 31, 2017 3:02 pm

footballdad wrote:
ponypatrick wrote:Meanwhile back at the Pony Corral, Chad, armed with "patsy"schedule that no one but him is excited about,

Chad giddy and nervous at the same time. His vision is unfolding almost exactly as planned. 8+ wins for him, and 8- wins for Sumlin and the $$$$$, P5, adoration, and reunion are his!

Until he gets to A&M as well and realizes they just aren't going to compete at the national championship level and he get's fired after four years too. Texas A&M has an unrealistic expectation for their program. They won the Big 12 once during their tenure there (they were 11-3 that year). Every other year was essentially just like their 8-5 records in the SEC. Perhaps they need to come with the terms they just aren't that good.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:13 pm

flockofseagulls wrote:really curious as to what the AD's success criteria is... beat everyone on their schedule except Bama and LSU? have to think that keeps Sumlin his job... can they afford to drop any other games? maybe UF since it's east division? no doubt the remaining division games - the MS schools and Auburn - are must-wins.

i hate having a vested interest in these guys this year...

Sumlin's going to get the axe eventually. It's just a matter of when. I think I'm going to want him out after next year. I just don't see A & M hiring Chad off of what would be one good/great year at SMU (hopefully). I think they'd want someone with a longer/better track record of winning. Hope I'm not wrong.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed May 31, 2017 5:11 pm

I agree. Chad has great potential and may turn out to be a top P5 coach but I do not think A&M would hire him next year. I do however think some other P5 may well hire him if we have a decent year.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Wed May 31, 2017 5:27 pm

if it was anyone but aggie I would agree with you - but they have that weird cult thing, and they would not be able to pas up an 8 win Chad morris. Plus he would still be cheap in their book.

Chads value is Texas relationships. Don't know how interesting he would be to others. We can wallet whip him if need be, except for a high P-5.
gostangs

Postby footballdad » Wed May 31, 2017 5:31 pm

footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony81 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:25 pm

I don't think TAMU will take Chad straight from SMU. Not what they need to compete in the SECW.
I do see Chad going to Arkansas when they tire of Bielema. Which should be soon. Arky needs to up their Texas recruiting and Chad can get that going for them.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed May 31, 2017 7:12 pm

Bielema stills has a very high buy out and although he is souring with some he is still very liked. Also their expectations this year are only at 7 or 8 wins which he will probably make. A 6-6 or worse will certainly hot seat him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed May 31, 2017 8:38 pm

mavsrage311 wrote:Sumlin's going to get the axe eventually. It's just a matter of when. I think I'm going to want him out after next year. I just don't see A & M hiring Chad off of what would be one good/great year at SMU (hopefully). I think they'd want someone with a longer/better track record of winning. Hope I'm not wrong.

Good points Mav, but you have to define a good / great year given our lousy schedule.

IMO going 2-2 against TCU, Navy, Houston and Memphis is not exactly 'good' and I'm not certain they can even pull that off.
SoCal_Pony

Return to Football