PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BR: Courtland Sutton Best WR in 2018 Draft

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:23 am

"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: BR: Courtland Sutton Best WR in 2018 Draft

Postby JoeKidd » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:50 am

Yessir, get that Man the ball. My prediction is he puts up 200 yards and at least 2 scores against TCU in our win there and this solidifies him as the number 1 pick as long as his speed is 4.5 range at the combine.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:38 am

Article[ says he would have been a first round draft pick this year if he would have came out. Let's hope he stays health this year and does not have an off year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:16 am

Rebel10 wrote:Article[ says he would have been a first round draft pick this year if he would have came out. Let's hope he stays health this year and does not have an off year.

Good point. I was not sure whether to hope he stayed healthy and had a good year or not but that makes sense. Will do.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby deucetz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:35 am

If he was getting first round grades he should have left for the draft. I definitely hope he stays healthy. I don't see him doing better statistically then last year. Too much added talent on the roster. Hope he is able to increase his speed. That's probably what he will be doing all year. Just trying to increase his skills for the combine.
deucetz
All-American

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:33 am

He will have a solid insurance policy in case of injury.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mavsrage311 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:44 am

He got a 2nd round grade from the scouts. Along with getting his degree, that was his biggest reason for coming back. I think he goes round 1 next year too.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby deucetz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:00 am

mavsrage311 wrote:He got a 2nd round grade from the scouts. Along with getting his degree, that was his biggest reason for coming back. I think he goes round 1 next year too.

That makes more sense. If he was given a second round, then he still has room to improve on. After what happened to Matt Barkley, if you get a first round grade, you go.

I'm not sure why more students at SMU don't do a 3 year graduation plan for football. If you're talented enough, you go pro. If not, then you can either stay at SMU or transfer a level up.
deucetz
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Courtland's gonna go in the top 15 next season no doubt
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:51 am

deucetz wrote:
mavsrage311 wrote:He got a 2nd round grade from the scouts. Along with getting his degree, that was his biggest reason for coming back. I think he goes round 1 next year too.

That makes more sense. If he was given a second round, then he still has room to improve on. After what happened to Matt Barkley, if you get a first round grade, you go.

I'm not sure why more students at SMU don't do a 3 year graduation plan for football. If you're talented enough, you go pro. If not, then you can either stay at SMU or transfer a level up.

You realize Courtland is the ultimate outlier for SMU football in the last 20 years? Hopefully it changes, but we haven't had any footballs players leave after 3 years to go pro much left transfer to a "level up"
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:22 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Courtland's gonna go in the top 15 next season no doubt

He got a second round grade because of route running and consistency. Those are things you can work at and improve, the measurable are all there. Everything is in his hands to make the top 15.

To the stats point, if he gets better consistency, OL and QB improve, he will absolutely blow up his stats. Better receivers across the board will help him, not take catches away. More single coverage and more zone. If he plays like a top 15 talent in this system with an adequately productive offence, he should be over 1500 and 15.
JasonB

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Courtland reminds me of the tight end that played with my son. Only Court could catch the ball his frosh. Brandon Marshall did okay for himself though.
One Trick Pony

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:28 am

JoeKidd wrote:Yessir, get that Man the ball. My prediction is he puts up 200 yards and at least 2 scores against TCU in our win there and this solidifies him as the number 1 pick as long as his speed is 4.5 range at the combine.

Living in FW, that would make my week. I'd be even more insufferable than I already am at work.

From which scouts? I would assume there's a range, since they guard those rankings pretty tightly and don't share them or make them public.

Stay healthy, Courtland. Should be a hell of a year.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby leopold » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:29 am

I'll say this: Morris was probably going to do relatively well here with or without him, but it was Sutton who made him look like an offensive genius and ace recruiter on only the first offensive series of his tenure- and he didn't even sign him.

I walked into Ford Stadium praying for a sign of hope for not only the future but even for just that year and it was Sutton who delivered it. On just first sight of the 6-4 WR I was wondering who it was and was instantly filled with hope. He catches a TD catch three plays later, shuts up the Baylor fans who realized it was going to be a fight and I knew there was at least a reason to stay into the second half. We were instantly interesting and dangerous with him on the field, even with two wins.

That, and he's been the gift who keeps on giving. He's taken pressure off of the rest of the offense and was a major reason we are practically a full year ahead of development. I'll bet that he's even a large part of the transfer in of players like Quinn and Epps transferred in; I can imagine the coaches telling them "Come to SMU. They can't double team you, we have Courtland. All you have to do is beat your man and catch the ball." The Receiving core in the coming years isn't going to be competing against defenses for catches, they are going to be competing against each other. That starts with Sutton.

Congratulations Courtland. I hope you win All-American honors this year, get your degree, and are a millionaire this time next year - unless, of course, you decide to stay for your final year. :D
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:06 am

JJ recruited him

NVM I see that you said as much
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Next

Return to Football