PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will UT go to PAC?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will UT go to PAC?

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:29 am

When GOR are up in BigXII, will Texas jump to the PAC? I think so. And if I were the PAC (and I'm not), I would take TCU, SMU, and Houston as well for 16. That could wrap up recruiting and subscribers in 3 of the top 4 population centers in Texas. 20+ million new eyes on the PAC network, plus Central Time Zone games. They have 2 privates already and could add 3 Texas schools academically rated above more than half their present members. 4 Texas schools, 2 Arizona and 2 SoCal in the South, rest in the North. Why Houston you ask? Because they bring more than TTech. Houston and SMU could compete within a few years with more rights money in football and already in Bball. OU and OSU are a better fit for SEC. And no one else in Big 12 or MWC fits the PAC academically. Now the real question, are Hart and Turner working this angle???? Or should I just go back to bed, dreaming?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: Will UT go to PAC?

Postby PerunasHoof » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:39 am

AusTxPony wrote:When GOR are up in BigXII, will Texas jump to the PAC? I think so. And if I were the PAC (and I'm not), I would take TCU, SMU, and Houston as well for 16. That could wrap up recruiting and subscribers in 3 of the top 4 population centers in Texas. 20+ million new eyes on the PAC network, plus Central Time Zone games. They have 2 privates already and could add 3 Texas schools academically rated above more than half their present members. 4 Texas schools, 2 Arizona and 2 SoCal in the South, rest in the North. Why Houston you ask? Because they bring more than TTech. Houston and SMU could compete within a few years with more rights money in football and already in Bball. OU and OSU are a better fit for SEC. And no one else in Big 12 or MWC fits the PAC academically. Now the real question, are Hart and Turner working this angle???? Or should I just go back to bed, dreaming?

I don't think any conference is going to go to 16. The SEC is already having issues playing rivalry games. If Auburn moves to the SEC East it changes lots of rivalries because of divisions. What's the point of being in a conference if you play certain other teams in the conferences only once every four of five years? The WAC already proved the pod system doesn't work either.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:06 pm

It will be interesting to read all of the opinions on this conference realignment idea
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:36 pm

SEC should re-align - West: OU, OSU, Mo, Ark, A$M. LSU, Ole Miss, MSU. East: Bama, Auburn, Fla, UG, USC, Vandy, Tenn, UK. Keeps logical rivalries intact w/ 16.
Big 10 - add WVU, UConn.
AAC/BigXII - KU, KSU, TTECH, Baylor, ISU, Air Force*, ColoState*, Boise* plus rest of AAC. *Football only.
4 Conferences with 16, ACC with 14 plus Notre Dame.
Last edited by AusTxPony on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby BleedSMUPride » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:44 pm

The first question is does the PAC actually want UT? Yes UT can bring a lot with it, but some issues with them is UT has to be willing to not be the big Elephant in the room. They need to realize that USC, Oregon, UCLA whatever other big schools run not that conference and not them. The same goes for any major conference and I'm not sure UT wants to give that up. The bigger issue in all this is UT would have to be giving up the Longhorn Network (which ESPN would love) because the main reason the BIG 12 doesn't have a TV deal is because of UT. I would love for PAC to take us, UT, UH, and TCU, and I think the PAC is our best bet yet, but going after OU is more worth it than taking any of us, UH or TCU. lastly, UT and TCU don't want us to be in a conference with us or else they would have fought for us and UH to be in the big 12. We pose for recruiting competition and for UT, it would look bad for them to lose to either of us which is why they won't play us. UT and TCU would pair with OU and OSU (or even tech) before pairing with us and UH to make a run at going to another conference.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:02 pm

UT will only go to the PAC or SEC or Big 10 (or anywhere else, for that matter) after the Big 12 becomes useless to them. For the time being, the Big 12 suits them as an easier route to the CFP...not that they have gotten there yet.

They have yet to understand that the rest of college football sees them for what they have become...the Eva Gabor celebrity that is now 90 years old.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:27 pm

I think it's interesting that UT hired first an AD in Patterson and then a University President that came straight from PAC 12 schools. Yes, I know Patterson is an alum, but I can't help but think their contacts with these schools had something to do with it. It will be interesting to see who they get to replace Perrin when the time comes, and if they have west coast ties.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:32 pm

A baby kitten dies every time a realignment thread is created.
skyscraper

Postby leopold » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:42 pm

My fiancé's got cats - I don't have a problem with that.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:08 am

Hard to imagine pac adding a school like UH. Won't happen.
gostangs

Postby ponyfan37 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:18 am

OU and Texas will be able to go wherever they want. They could team up with 2 others and head to the PAC 12. I also would not be shocked if they headed to the Big 10. I believe, that is what OU's President Boren would like. I just don't see Texas going to the SEC and joining back up with A&M.

SMU's best hope is that OU/UT split up. Whatever ends up happening with realignment will be based off of what those two programs decide to do.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:18 am

skyscraper wrote:A baby kitten dies every time a realignment thread is created.

Right. Here's a handbook on how to comment. Be sure to break each conference down by division to show how extra plugged in you are:
P12- *list 16 teams. talk about how no one watches west coast games.*
B1G- *list 16 teams. reference ped state*
SEC- *list 16 teams. include SMU*
ACC- *list 16 teams. talk about how BC sucks.*
B12- *say how they will no longer exist. [deleted] about Longhorn Network and iowa state*
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:41 am

gostangs wrote:Hard to imagine pac adding a school like UH.

Like brown shoes with a tuxedo.
Bergermeister

Postby Dukie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:10 am

skyscraper wrote:A baby kitten dies every time a realignment thread is created.

And that kitten died, in this case, for a thread that includes the assertion that putting LSU in a bloated SEC West with Big XII castoffs and the Mississippi schools, but not Bama or Auburn, somehow keeps logical rivalries intact. But, it's the off-season, so why not.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Topper » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:12 pm

peruna81 wrote:UT will only go to the PAC or SEC or Big 10 (or anywhere else, for that matter) after the Big 12 becomes useless to them. For the time being, the Big 12 suits them as an easier route to the CFP...not that they have gotten there yet.

They have yet to understand that the rest of college football sees them for what they have become...the Eva Gabor celebrity that is now 90 years old.

Exactly. There has been a long flirtation with the idea of moving to the PAC 12 among UT administrators because they like the idea of being aligned with a league with such strong academics. But SC and the big state schools would be on equal footing prestige wise. The idea of playing Texas style football in Ann Arbor or Columbus in November is not so appealing despite the Big 10's stellar academic. The SEC is considered an academic joke to the Horns. But in the end, they will jump ship if they can cobble together a conference that suits them, namely one with huge revenues and the easiest path to the national championship.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football