PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston adds series w/WashSt. & UNT

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Houston adds series w/WashSt. & UNT

Postby skyscraper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Brett McMurphy‏ @Brett_McMurphy
Washington State, Houston add home/home series; 2019 at UH, 2020 at WSU

Brett McMurphy‏ @Brett_McMurphy
North Texas, Houston add home/home series; 2019 at UNT, 2023 at UH
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Houston adds series w/WashSt. & UNT

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:54 pm

1:1 with Wazzu is better than UNT but the Mean Green provide a local game where fans of both teams can attend. I'd prefer somewhere like Oregon State over UNT for a 1:1. OSU has UH-alum and former SMU asst coach, Jason Phillips, on staff recruiting the Houston area.

If Littrell is doing as well as hoped, UNT may be on its next coach after 2018.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby JoeKidd » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:17 pm

I really believe SMU (and other AAC counterparts) should be scheduling the bottom half of the PAC-10, Big 12, Big 10, etc. Think games again Purdue, Indiana, Washington State, Oregon State, Kansas, Iowa State, etc. If we want to make an argument for a Power 6 or to get sucked into whatever happens in the next round of realignment we have to prove we are as good as if not better in our top half than the current Power 5's bottom half.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:27 pm

I'd like to get Arkansas again. I remember beating them when we were much worse than now. And they bring a ton of fans.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:53 pm

AusTxPony wrote:I'd like to get Arkansas again. I remember beating them when we were much worse than now. And they bring a ton of fans.

They have A&M in Dallas every year now. They have no reason to play us. Plus the SEC is also putting a limit on how many games they can schedule OOC outside of the P5.

I too wish we could play Arkansas but I see no way until we are admitted into the SEC
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:27 pm

apparently the airlines are rejecting many professional and college teams from charter travel sky-rocketing the costs of charter air travel-I saw one estimate and they were talking $430,000 (for remotely located ECU) because the planes have to stay on call until departure. These cross country games against 2nd level BCS programs rarely make financial sense for either side-although I admit some might be willing to visit SMU because of the DFW recruiting market. SMU will probably be in somewhat better negotiating position though because DFW/Love are airline hubs. I doubt many long haul games get played unless its being financed by a one-and-done series paid for by BCS schools.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... story.html
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:27 pm

JoeKidd wrote:I really believe SMU (and other AAC counterparts) should be scheduling the bottom half of the PAC-10, Big 12, Big 10, etc. Think games again Purdue, Indiana, Washington State, Oregon State, Kansas, Iowa State, etc. If we want to make an argument for a Power 6 or to get sucked into whatever happens in the next round of realignment we have to prove we are as good as if not better in our top half than the current Power 5's bottom half.

Washington state may very well win the PAC-12 this year.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football