PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU ranked #10 in AAC by CFN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU ranked #10 in AAC by CFN

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Cruise control
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:06 pm

QB is kinda important. Can't just roll someone out at QB because they try hard. Hicks had 41 rushes for -83 yards last year. Sure it was a messed up situation with them keeping the reigns on him due to him being the only serviceable option most of the year. Maybe the quantum leap in QB competition and depth will rip the chains off and Hicks will become Pat Mahomes.

When you have Sutton and Quinn and no defense, it would behoove the fine gentlemen of SMU to have more than a bus driver.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:24 pm

If you want to get the ball to Sutton, Proche and Quinn then Hicks and Peavey would probably get the ball because the last video on Gillens shows he's pretty raw. Hicks cut down on the sacks by about 15 in one year. He'll never be a strong running QB but as mrydel says you can still use him when he's not being respected by the defense. Last year he had no backup so it was understandable. Sacks were manageable at something like 26 sacks with a below average offensive line. Gillens would add another dimension to the offense no question but the jury is out on his effect on the passing game. He probably has the highest ceiling but he's got a long way to go to be the starter in a little over 3 weeks of fall camp.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:01 pm

leopold wrote:Christ, we're not playing Florida State or Miami either.

Ya'll are worried too damned much about the QB position - we've got three legitimate options surrounded by above average talent and being coached by a proven QB coach and offensive guru; even have two lesser opponents up first so as to give them a chance to learn on the go. It'll figure itself out.

I would also like to point out that for the FIRST TIME in the history of Ponyfans.com the poster "Footballdad" made an intelligent, relevant post - Waaaaay to go, Big Guy!! We all knew ya had it in ya!!

If ya'll wanna [deleted] about something then discuss the Defense. Anybody got any insight into Mixon? Tennessee is supposed to have a lower-end D-Line by SEC standards this year so I'm curious if anybody knows anything about him.
What about the DB's - Wyatt and Clemons played well last year and McQueen is supposed to be a stud but I'm having a hard time remembering the other CB spot Jeanlys - can somebody remind me about him?

The talent is there for special teams if someone would just step up on the return side. Sackville did fine last year as a true frosh punter and if either Williams can increase his range or the transfer outperforms Williams' mediocrity well be fine for kickers.

No problem Sally. Always glad to help those with limited football knowledge, like yourself. Cheers Little Guy.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football