PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU ranked #10 in AAC by CFN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU ranked #10 in AAC by CFN

Postby leopold » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:19 am

ASU will be the prime example of the team we have to outscore. The lose their entire offensive line (although they've signed 5 JC O-linemen) but return most of their skill positions. Hopefully, we should control both lines of scrimmage and match up well when we have the ball. The question is can our defensive backs stand up to their apparently tree-tall WR's.
Again, we should have the better team. We were able to beat the teams last year we should have; hopefully we hold serve and get past them.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:32 am

I think they would argue the "we should have the better team" part of your statement.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:42 am

Yes, ArkState is the make or break game it seems. Win that one and I think we have a good shot at Cincinnati and home against UCF as well. Dave Campbell picking Tulsa to win the West. Looking at his offense grades, we rate better than Houston. Let's hope so.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:03 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Who's the QB is my question about scoring in bunches.

That's the Million Dollar Question, no doubt.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mtrout » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Just tell me not Hicks and I'm happy.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:08 pm

If its hicks i think thats great. No idea why he gets a bad rap here. Could be more mobile in the pocket of course - but he was a true freshman thrown to the wolves with no line, and after the big 12 part of the schedule he did pretty well. I personally think peavy gets it out of talent and a better fit for the Morris offense - but i think it takes half a season.

I am more worried about the D. No idea how that serive can say those linebackers are all potential all conference - i saw none of that last year. You don't fold on Navy like that with good linebackers. That is the postion to watch - better LB's equals a much stronger year.

And for the record - i know Arkansas state is good p but i think we will throttle them. I am more concerned about Tulsa and away at UC.
gostangs

SMU ranked #10 in AAC by CFN

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:40 pm

gostangs wrote:If its hicks i think thats great. No idea why he gets a bad rap here. Could be more mobile in the pocket of course - but he was a true freshman thrown to the wolves with no line, and after the big 12 part of the schedule he did pretty well.

Certainly not having an O-line doesn't help but Hicks did enroll for the Spring 2015 semester so he started learning the offense at the same time as the rest of the team. Before he took a snap in a college game, he had been through two spring camps and two summer camps plus practiced for a whole season in 2015.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:05 pm

...In an offense designed for Matt Davis to start in. Just saying.
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Peavy is built in that mode and I think the other transfer is also although I have never seen him play. Hicks may be useable if they will now allow him to run. He had the reins on him due to no depth. I am excited to see our QB play this year.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:25 pm

We're going to be fine at QB whoever starts-we have plenty of weapons so the QB just needs to drive the bus.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:17 am

QB just needs to protect the ball. Can't be throwing wounded ducks and pick 6's. I agree we should have a much improved offense with an improved OL and plenty of competition at the skill positions.
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:43 pm

If we want to score in bunches, which OTP was alluding to, he needs to be more than a bus driver, he needs to take advantage of our dynamic receivers.

Rewatched the Coog game this weekend. SMU was fortunate not to be intercepted multiple times.
SoCal_Pony

Postby leopold » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:54 pm

Uh yeah, we're getting lost in the details.

Point is there will be mismatches. The American Conference as a whole shouldn't have the DB's to stay with Sutton, Proche, and Quinn and individually we don't even play the two teams who many believe have the best DB's in conference. Mid- to low level American Conference DB's guarding All-American caliber receivers should be a no-brainer. Our QB play simply needs to make good reads and decisions and deliver an accurate ball; everything else is icing on the cake. Don't even get me started on the RB's.

I'm optimistic, but for a reason. Again - if anybody sees this as 'kool-aid' they aren't paying attention to what we are putting on the field this year vs. who we are playing.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:57 pm

1/3 offense, 1/3 defense, 1/3 special teams. SMU has 1/3
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Up » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Hicks might not be Don Meredith or Ramon Flanigan or whoever your favorite QB is, but he improved a ton over the course of last year. I assume that continues. How far, nobody knows, but there's no reason to assume he loses the job. I hope Peavey and Gillins make it a hell of a race, though.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football