PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU ranked #10 in AAC by CFN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU ranked #10 in AAC by CFN

Postby mtrout » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:17 am

Peavey and Gillens both have the potential to be way better than Hicks. I hope they get in ASAP to get some reps against a couple cupcakes.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:40 am

Potential ie neither has played a down of college football as a QB to prove it
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:41 am

Neither has any other QB in the history of football until they did.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:52 am

That's true but Hicks takes entirely too much criticism on this board for a decent freshman year that actually produced results

2,930 yards passing -8th in SMU History
19 passing TDs tied for 7th in SMU History

He basically put up the same numbers as Shane Buechele at Texas starting 11 instead of 12 games except for a higher Interception ratio caused by a slow start

I really don't care who wins the job-I thought Peavey was better during the spring practices I saw-whoever wins the job will be fine-but Hicks has "potential" too to put up big numbers as well
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:00 pm

I have never had a problem with Hicks other than they never let him carry the ball which put too much of a key on our RBs. Obviously we could not afford to get him hurt thus no run. I do not think he is as agile as the other 2, but just keeping the ball once or twice a game will help us when it is 3rd or 4th and one. I again say I am looking forward to the competition.
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Was very impressed with Hick's toughness last year.

Hopefully with more experience and better OL his decision-making will improve.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 pm

mrydel wrote:I have never had a problem with Hicks other than they never let him carry the ball which put too much of a key on our RBs. Obviously we could not afford to get him hurt thus no run. I do not think he is as agile as the other 2, but just keeping the ball once or twice a game will help us when it is 3rd or 4th and one. I again say I am looking forward to the competition.

Didn't appear to be that mobile a QB to me that I would want him running.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:11 pm

We do not need a mobile QB as much as we need one who can pull the ball occasionally and take the pressure off the RB. I do not think
Chad wants to run an option offense.
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Gilbert never seemed like much of a runner either, but he always had a sneaky amount of yds on the ground. When he ran, it was smart - 20 yds and then step out of bounds. absolutely kills the D when they have to worry about that.
gostangs

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Clemson had top-notch Talent at every position, but they would not have won the National Championship without DeShaun Watson's legs.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:39 pm

We are trying to win 6 games. We do not have Watson talent.
mrydel

Postby leopold » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Christ, we're not playing Florida State or Miami either.

Ya'll are worried too damned much about the QB position - we've got three legitimate options surrounded by above average talent and being coached by a proven QB coach and offensive guru; even have two lesser opponents up first so as to give them a chance to learn on the go. It'll figure itself out.

I would also like to point out that for the FIRST TIME in the history of Ponyfans.com the poster "Footballdad" made an intelligent, relevant post - Waaaaay to go, Big Guy!! We all knew ya had it in ya!!

If ya'll wanna [deleted] about something then discuss the Defense. Anybody got any insight into Mixon? Tennessee is supposed to have a lower-end D-Line by SEC standards this year so I'm curious if anybody knows anything about him.
What about the DB's - Wyatt and Clemons played well last year and McQueen is supposed to be a stud but I'm having a hard time remembering the other CB spot Jeanlys - can somebody remind me about him?

The talent is there for special teams if someone would just step up on the return side. Sackville did fine last year as a true frosh punter and if either Williams can increase his range or the transfer outperforms Williams' mediocrity well be fine for kickers.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:22 pm

So footballdad says we are lacking ability in 2 of 3 areas and you promote him to sunshine level with you.

I am as positive in a realistic manner as anyone, but we have not shown it on the field yet.

And you cannot just discount the QB. Without him the ball would just bounce around on the ground after the center snap.
mrydel

Postby leopold » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:06 pm

No, I said he made one decent post for the first time in a half decade. My god man you can't recognize a joke when you see it?

And nobody is discounting the QB position. I'm just tired of beating a dead horse into the ground when there's clearly bigger questions at other positions.

Anybody got them insights? Huh?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:29 pm

mrydel wrote:So footballdad says we are lacking ability in 2 of 3 areas and you promote him to sunshine level with you.

I am as positive in a realistic manner as anyone, but we have not shown it on the field yet.

And you cannot just discount the QB. Without him the ball would just bounce around on the ground after the center snap.

Oh don't worry about the quarterback - he's just driving a bus. I'm not sure we have a transmission in that bus lol
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football