PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU ranked #10 in AAC by CFN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU ranked #10 in AAC by CFN

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:19 am

One Trick Pony wrote:What do you do with Ford?

Sell it to HPISD. Take the second level off to ground level. Replace the red bleacher seats with the blue seats that were removed. HPHS will recover needed building space with the demolition of Highlander Stadium. No big loss since it is not the stadium Doak Walker or Bobby Lane played in. Then we can expand our equestrian, lacrosse, and archery programs.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:21 am

I'm surprised CFN is so bullish on the Coogs. 2nd best in the AAC? UH might be that or better, but there are too many unknowns for me to predict anything that good.

Odd statement in their UH rank: "the team isn’t as good as last year’s version. Whatever – last year’s version didn’t play for the AAC championship." If they're not as good as last year and last year tied for 3rd in the West, how are they 2nd best in the conference? Did everyone else get worse too?
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:37 am

Bergermeister wrote:

Sell it to HPISD. Take the second level off to ground level. Replace the red bleacher seats with the blue seats that were removed. HPHS will recover needed building space with the demolition of Highlander Stadium. No big loss since it is not the stadium Doak Walker or Bobby Lane played in. Then we can expand our equestrian, lacrosse, and archery programs.

Well...

https://youtu.be/g11NJ0ZG7m8
One Trick Pony

Postby ojaipony » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:16 am

Yeah, other AAC teams are getting better also. However, I think our offense will (should be anyway) in the top 3 in the AAC. I have very high expectations for that unit. We have way more quality depth (in the "skill" positions anyway) post DP IMHO. Our OL talent will be mostly young however 3 of the 5 starters have a lot of experience (Saena/Pursley/Brown) but there's talent there all up and down the line finally with ok depth (I'm thinking K. Smith and Todora with Huhn/Ali/Howerton all studs in the making although I hope we can redshirt all 3 of them and won't need them, but whoever is best should play).

Defense? Yeah, that's another story.
ojaipony

Postby mtrout » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:26 am

I'm starting to think I might have consumed too much kool-aid. If we're rocking #100 in the nation after this year my hope will be totally expended.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:53 am

The genius for us is not the rankings - it's in the scheduling. We've got the Bill Snyder Special this year.

SFA, North Texas, ASU, UConn, Cincy and Tulane all consistently fall lower than us on rankings - you can even see it on those screenshots. All we have to do is hold serve and we get to six wins. Tulsa, Houston, UCF, and even Navy are all either lower or within striking distance, depending upon the publication. Only Memphis and TCU are consistently well above us. It's why I think, with a little luck, we can have an eight win season.

It's also - I believe - major reason HCCM decided to stay. He's being handed a gift of a schedule this year. If he shows ANY potential as a head coach we should have a winning season this season and he looks like a program builder, regardless of the rankings.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 pm

One of those was a recruiting ranking based on a class that likely won't contribute much. I'm not so sure Arkansas St and Cincy have been considered weaker than SMU in the preseason rankings. I haven't really studied much about ASU returning players but I based on last year they were ranked far higher than SMU. We are looking at 6-7 wins largely because we really are in Year 2 of the Defensive rebuild. For example, in Sagarin we were 8th in AAC ranking plus we were 37 spots below ASU. CFN also has ASU ranked slightly higher than SMU. I think the ASU game is likely pretty much a tossup-give SMU a slight advantage at home-maybe. They handled a decent UCF easily in their bowl game
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:23 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:

Sell it to HPISD. Take the second level off to ground level. Replace the red bleacher seats with the blue seats that were removed. HPHS will recover needed building space with the demolition of Highlander Stadium. No big loss since it is not the stadium Doak Walker or Bobby Layne played in. Then we can expand our equestrian, lacrosse, and archery programs.

Well...

https://youtu.be/g11NJ0ZG7m8

Good one. Always good to see TCU go down.
Bergermeister

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:49 am

[/quote]
Good one. Always good to see TCU go down.[/quote]

I knew you would like that lol
One Trick Pony

Postby photopony » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:39 pm

Make it an IPF for Soccer.
photopony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:51 pm

The foundation of this program is more solid that at any time in the last 30 years-everybody quit yer bitchin'.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Stallion wrote:The foundation of this program is more solid that at any time in the last 30 years-everybody quit yer bitchin'.

I admire your Kool-Aid loyalty and tenacity. I suppose a softer side comes with age.. just remember in my avatar you're just on the other side of the water.

If you can get pumped about this program you're a Tony Robbins guy
One Trick Pony

Postby Stallion » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:31 pm

predicting 6-7 wins isn't Kool-Aid. You are mistaking me for JasonB. I look at a program from a 3-4 year perspective.

Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:26 am

I get it ■ but you used to be the biggest critic that's quite a swing. Plus your way taller than Jason B.
One Trick Pony

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:18 am

Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football