PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Possibilities to replace Morris after this season

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Possibilities to replace Morris after this season

Postby leopold » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:34 am

This is kinda cryptic but it's the offseason and this is a legitimate possibility.

Keep in mind, Baylor already made a play for him and that was with only 5 wins. If he gets to seven wins or more (and I think he will) multiple schools will come calling, depending on the openings.

Part of it is who Morris jumps to. Tech will not be a good football team this year and Kingsbury is going to get fired - I'm calling it now. They are picked to be near the bottom of the conference and the OOC schedule does them no favors; Houston and Arizona State are better football teams and Eastern Washington is a giant-killer. I predict three to four wins for them and KK is let go. They interviewed Morris when KK was hired and I think they give him another look. Obviously A&M is a possibility, too, and I'd argue even Oklahoma isn't outside the realm of a possibility if they somehow collapse this year under the watch of an extremely young and untested first-year HC thrown into the position when Stoops had to retire out of the blue.

Rising DC Dave Aranda at LSU is someone to watch. Interestingly enough, he got his masters at Texas Tech and was an assistant at Houston so I can see TT going with him over Morris considering the Raiders will be ATROCIOUS on D this year, as usual. But if it's not, if it's Morris, Aranda could step into a team with an extremely potent offense that is going to return as many as eight starters next year and a defense ready for his mold. Heck, if Aranda could grab KK as the OC that could be dangerous.

Malone is also a possibility. If I was him I would use this year as a way to sell himself as the next HC - if his defense continues to improve he may put himself into a position to be considered.

Who else?
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Possibilities to replace Morris after this season

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:20 am

I would like to see van Malone make Navy punt just once.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:34 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:I would like to see van Malone make Navy punt just once.

Get there early for warm ups
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:24 am

This post is so SMU. The guy hasn't had a winning season or a bowl game, and we are planning his departure.

I refuse.
gostangs

Postby leopold » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:33 am

Don't look at it that way.

For all of his faults June proved that SMU would pay top money for a coach, invest in the program and the facilities, and win. Morris is going to cement that belief this year when he takes a 1 win team to a winning season and leaves an increasing supply of talent in the cupboard.

We are about to have our pick of up and coming coaches. Houston is the 'it' destination for them now and they are about to start getting major competition for that spot. Just like recruits who are picking us over bottom feeder P5 programs like Kansas and others, that's the way it's about to be for coaches.

This isn't us begging - this is choosing.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:26 pm

If we do lose Chad after this season, I sure hope it is because this year's team wins 9 games (including a bowl game). We haven't seen more than an 8 win season since the death penalty
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:48 pm

The confidence is built on the fact that this Coaching Staff is the first to build a solid foundation. The others have floundered from Day 1 in building the foundation. None of the others put in HALF the hard work in hiring the right energized staff, making Texas coaching connections, getting recruits into their camps and on campus multiple times starting with their freshman/sophomore years, canvassing the Texas recruiting crop and early analysis and offers to the recruits that they need to turn the program around. If you know College football-you know this will eventually lead to success. High confidence SMU will get to a bowl this year which is quite an accomplishment after winning 1 game 3 years ago.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby etpony » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:59 pm

If his son ends up being the top QB at Highland Park he stays. No way he will move the kid.
etpony
Recruit

Postby leopold » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:23 pm

I hope not, but we tried the 'your kid is happy here' thing with Brown and it didn't work.

Now - any suggestions?
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:27 pm

etpony wrote:If his son ends up being the top QB at Highland Park he stays. No way he will move the kid.

Seems like we have a way to make this happen if you think it would work
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Stallion » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Chad's son likely won't play much this year because Jarray's grandson is still at HP and he won a 5A championship. It would be quite an accomplishment to be the backup at HP as a Sophomore. I bet HP's backup gets plenty of work in cleanup duty though
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:46 pm

leopold wrote:I'd argue even Oklahoma isn't outside the realm of a possibility if they somehow collapse this year under the watch of an extremely young and untested first-year HC thrown into the position when Stoops had to retire out of the blue.

This means Lincoln Riley would be available, right?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby leopold » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Yep.

It would also possibly mean that he sucked as a head coach....
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:56 pm

etpony wrote:If his son ends up being the top QB at Highland Park he stays. No way he will move the kid.

Coaches have been known to do the long distance thing. Of course if he gets the A&M job the distance wouldn't be all that long.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby sbsmith » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:09 pm

leopold wrote:Yep.

It would also possibly mean that he sucked as a head coach....

Depends on the level of suckage and if there are any extenuating circumstances like injuries (namely an injury to Baker Mayfield).

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Next

Return to Football