PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who will be the starting QB for the opener

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who will be the starting QB for the opener

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Stallion wrote:In Hicks last 4 games including the 3 best teams in the AAC, Hicks was a 60% passer with 8 TDs and 4 Ints. He also played well against other good teams taking SMU into OT at Tulsa and upsetting UH. We'll be fine with Hicks at QB or Peavey or Gillens if he can learn the offense and start over the other 2 guys. Just got finished watching Lance Mcillhenny beat UT in 1980. Not sure he completed a pass in his debut as a freshman. You guys are expecting way too much out of a freshman QB. The 8th best year in SMU History (over 2900 yards) is not bad for a debut

Exactly.

Furthermore, due to injuries:
1) They had to limit what Hicks could due because the backup QB options were Rock or Freeman; and
2) The OL (which wasn't a strenght going into the season) was so banged up that the 4th (maybe 5th) string TE had to play most of the Temple game at LT.

If there was an AAC draft for QB's, Hicks would go in the top 1/2 of the draft. The fact that Peavey and/or Gillens may be better than him doesn't mean he is horrible.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:40 am

wow. No practice thread? We really are a basketball school 8) . I couldn't make it but would love to know who plays well, QBs in particular.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Okay, we are two games in and you're the HC. Who do you start at QB against TCU?

It's an easy decision for me, DJ Gillins.

LA_Mustang

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Doesn't matter. Hicks will start. Gillens in the red zone on occasion and Peavy if Hicks gets hurt or if we are out of the game and he wants to protect Hicks.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:56 pm

mrydel wrote:Doesn't matter. Hicks will start. Gillens in the red zone on occasion and Peavy if Hicks gets hurt or if we are out of the game and he wants to protect Hicks.

That's not the question. Do you like this gig? Do you like your job? (sorry, a Ticket reference)

I know Hicks will start. I'm just asking if it was your decision, who would you start?

LA_Mustang

Postby sbsmith » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Hicks looks like the best option to keep Sutton and Quinn involved and though his play has been frustrating it hasn't been bad enough to lose the job.........yet.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:14 pm

It is impossible to answer having not been with the young men through practice. Personally I believe Peavy had more upside but one of the issues allegedly at Arkansas was his inability to grasp the play book as quickly as some others. So although I believe Peavy has the physical skills to start, he may not have the offense down yet. No way to know without a more intimate knowledge.
mrydel

Postby JoeKidd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Hicks looked better in Game 2 and so as long as he keeps improving and limits big mistakes (INT's) then I think he retains the job and we use Gillins this season in the Wildcat. After a year in the system and working on improving his accuracy....maybe Gillins challenges for next year. Hicks has not been terrible he just needs to continue to improve his accuracy and perhaps his reads/checks (hard to know that without having game tape to review).
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Although I agree with mrydel that everyone's favorite is the 2nd string QB, I would start Gillens. He's just too dynamic IMHO. He's Matt Davis, except with a stronger arm and taller, possible even more elusive. There will be bumps bc he hasn't played, but he gives you the best chance to win IMHO. But, given the politics, etc, Hicks will start most likely until/unless he gets hurt or something like that. We may see Gillens some at TCU in certain situations but Hicks is Morris's guy.
ojaipony

Postby mrydel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:32 pm

If the OL dies not tighten up a little we will see all 3 QBs this Saturday, and not by design. Arkansas people are convinced that if we can give our QB time that TCU is beatable.
mrydel

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:05 pm

If he is gonna be our starter can we at least spell his name correctly?

LA_Mustang

Postby smitty329 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:43 pm

I would start the QB with the 35th best QBR in FBS (I-A).

http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr

Also - I need to credit Hicks this week - Last week I called him out because 2 of his completions were incredible plays by Sutton and Proche on poorly thrown balls. This week he had an in-completion that Sutton dropped - hit him right in the chest.
smitty329
All-American

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Watched the replay on ESPN and Hicks looked better than I thought watching at the game. He certainly has the player's confidence, the knowledge to alter formations and receivers should have caught at least 3-4 more passes..even Sutton dropped one. So I think Hicks starts.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Who will be the starting QB for the opener

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 pm

He completely overlooked wide open WRs at least twice in the 2nd half, Sutton and I think Quinn, both running free behind the defense.

He has to get better at going through his reads to be effective against our schedule this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 am

03Mustang wrote:He completely overlooked wide open WRs at least twice in the 2nd half, Sutton and I think Quinn, both running free behind the defense.

He has to get better at going through his reads to be effective against our schedule this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree with this, happened multiple times on Saturday. He has a tendency to completely lock in on his initial read and not see the whole field. This will really be exposed against better defenses. Obviously it will be very clear on film and assume will be a point of emphasis with the staff this week.
RI Stang
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football