PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UAB's Practice Facility

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UAB's Practice Facility

Postby mtrout » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:27 pm

This is a reminder. It's not 1983 anymore.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Big Frog II wrote:When we we were making CUSA and MWC money, we built our indoor facility in phases as budget and donations permitted. First we had to move the baseball field. Second we built the foundation and astroturf field. Third, we built the structure around the field. Finally we air conditioned the facility. It can be done gradually if you don't have someone to write a check for the whole thing.

It is evident that TCU had its priorities in order...you didn't see them build the new basketball arena or the baseball upgrades before they built their IPF and renovated the Carter. No natatorium or tennis centers built there. Football First.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:55 pm

...aaand we still owe 4 million on the tennis facility and 3.8 on the natatorium

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:36 am

I guess the family of four finally said no
One Trick Pony

Postby Dukie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:16 pm

The "covered" practice facility is interesting. One major argument with several comments in this thread, though: UAB did not shut down because it was such a financial shambles (at least compared to Group of Five peers). UAB shut down because University of Alabama-affiliated individuals forced it to shut down to limit even peripheral and limited competition with the University of Alabama.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:31 pm

smitty329 wrote:"During Don Shula’s 26-year run as head coach of the Dolphins, the heat and humidity of September melted foes and became a launching pad for 12 AFC East titles and 16 playoff berths. Miami posted a 27-5 record at home in September under Shula, an 84.4 percent winning clip. The weather conditions were embraced by the home team and became part of the winning equation."

And the last time they won a Super Bowl, they averaged 113 yards passing per game and for the season had 17 passing TDs with 12 INTs. Do you want SMU to do that too?

Heck, go all Bear Bryant on them and not allow them to drink water during practice. It only makes them weak to have water.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:08 pm

RGV Pony wrote:...aaand we still owe 4 million on the tennis facility and 3.8 on the natatorium

a few may disagree, but what a complete waste of money
Pony ^

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Pony ^ wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:...aaand we still owe 4 million on the tennis facility and 3.8 on the natatorium

a few may disagree, but what a complete waste of money

7.8M would have gotten us a mid grade IPF
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Why do people keep running with this stupid argument when its been shown repeatedly that those projects were funded largely from benefactors that are supportive of the swimming and tennis programs. The better, relevant question is why our football alumni and benefactors haven't shown much inclination to fund the Football program. I mean there has been a lot of boasting on here for years that our Deep Pockets were going to buy us into the P5. Not so much because that meme was never true

Oh and PonyBoss neither TCU nor Baylor got around to funding their facilities (Stadiums/IPF) until about a decade and 1/2 decade respectively AFTER they turned the program around. You really don't make much sense for people that have followed how they did it. The presence of an IPF damn sure didn't make a squat of difference in rebuilding the TCU and Baylor programs. Time frame is back-ass-backwards for both schools. Both schools have also invested heavily in all their athletic programs for years not just Football/Basketball
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Idk but one, we've got 20+ million raised, so I guess that depends on the definition of alumni/benefactors. Two, maybe not have the two games w 126-38 cumulative score next year, or three thru five, get oil above 42 a barrel, or find some smu cryptocurrency billionaires, or mail a check and we'll be in good shape.
RGV Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:17 pm

I think we need to fix the lights
One Trick Pony

Postby mtrout » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:17 pm

We need to accept that we're not getting an IPF anytime soon. The fact that we built bougie swimming and tennis facilities while football remains silent is textbook SMU.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:25 pm

If we build it we lose our last excuse for not winning. How about we find some younger deep pockets to sustain the program after the handful that have kept it going pass on.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mtrout » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:30 pm

mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:00 am

I'm honestly impressed at the level of stupid often displayed on ponyfans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football