PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UAB's Practice Facility

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UAB's Practice Facility

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Can you imagine the Park Cities [deleted] if we put up a shed like UH or UAB-there is no way either would get approved by the City Council anyway
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby kc711 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:05 pm

RGV Pony wrote:...aaand we still owe 4 million on the tennis facility and 3.8 on the natatorium

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RGV -The reason that those sums are owed on those two facilities is because SMU has a very generous policy of beginning construction of buildings when 80% of the cost has been committed. (Other universities have more strict policies of requiring 100% of the cost committed.) The same 80% standard applies to the IPF facility, with any more generous changes to enhance the chances of reaching the required 80% level. So, if the IPF is built, money will still likely need to be raised to close the 20% gap. The IPF is no different than the tennis and swimming facilities. Thus, I do not understand the point of your post.

Also, Stallion is spot on when he says the supporters of the swimming and tennis programs stepped up to reached the required 80% commitment level to construct those facilities. Thus, I do not understand the continued reference to those facilities when football supporters need to complete the commitments required to begin construction of the IPF. It is an entirely separate issue.

Also, I think it is helpful to keep in mind that the tennis team had no on campus practice facilities for at least two years, and the swimming teams have been practicing in out dated facilities for the last 30 years, and with no permanent indoor practice facilities for the past 3 seasons.
Last edited by kc711 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc711
Scout Team

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:34 pm

Who's RVG?
One Trick Pony

Postby kc711 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:43 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Who's RVG?

Corrected. Thanks.
kc711
Scout Team

Postby smitty329 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:50 pm

mtrout wrote:This is a reminder. It's not 1983 anymore.

Yes - They now have a beautiful indoor facility and have been virtually irrelevant since Shula left.

When the IPF gets funded and prioritized, it will happen. We could still be irrelevant once we get it. We could also be relevant without it (we saw some success under June - until he gave up).
smitty329
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:36 pm

I still think SMU could raise the money for the IPF if done properly but maybe I am wrong.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 pm

kc711 wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:...aaand we still owe 4 million on the tennis facility and 3.8 on the natatorium

RGV -The reason that those sums are owed on those two facilities is because SMU has a very generous policy of beginning construction of buildings when 80% of the cost has been committed. (Other universities have more strict policies of requiring 100% of the cost committed.) The same 80% standard applies to the IPF facility, with any more generous changes to enhance the chances of reaching the required 80% level. So, if the IPF is built, money will still likely need to be raised to close the 20% gap. The IPF is no different than the tennis and swimming facilities. Thus, I do not understand the point of your post.

Also, Stallion is spot on when he says the supporters of the swimming and tennis programs stepped up to reached the required 80% commitment level to construct those facilities. Thus, I do not understand the continued reference to those facilities when football supporters need to complete the commitments required to begin construction of the IPF. It is an entirely separate issue.

Also, I think it is helpful to keep in mind that the tennis team had no on campus practice facilities for at least two years, and the swimming teams have been practicing in out dated facilities for the last 30 years, and with no permanent indoor practice facilities for the past 3 seasons.

I'm aware of the 80% rule. The point of my post is..we still need to come up with sums mentioned.
RGV Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 pm

You have to admire a school like SMU.

They just dropped over $40M on Swimming & Tennis facilities (I am assuming land costs do not factor into the 80% rule).

To put some perspective on this, there are 3 schools in the AAC that have total endowments under $200M.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mtrout » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:50 pm

You have to admire SMU for building up the country club sport facilities.

They won't build the IPF. They'll redirect the funds to other parts of the facilities/football master plan. Real talk.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 pm

They are being built by donations. Write the check for the IPF and I bet they would break ground as soon as it cleared.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mtrout » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:23 pm

This is kinda like when you fall short of your goal selling girl scout cookies. Instead of getting the ipad, you get the backpack.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:

You have to admire a school like SMU.

They just dropped over $40M on Swimming & Tennis facilities (I am assuming land costs do not factor into the 80% rule).

To put some perspective on this, there are 3 schools in the AAC that have total endowments under $200M.

If the land cost is not included in the "cost" numbers, it should be. The school committed valuable land next to Central Expresway & a DART station. If that land had been sold, it could have funded much of the cost of an IPF.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 am

How about we stop picking on the swim team? Their building was literally condemned and they've been using the outdoor pool for a few years now while their new facility got funded and is finally getting built.
If football can't get the necessary funds, that's on football and its boosters. The swim team has been trying for two decades to get a new facility, and hating on them isn't going to get the IPF done.
skyscraper

Postby smustatesman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:54 am

If we can't keep the rain off their heads while they practice.........the cost of one hundred or so Brock-o-Brellas should be in the operating budget. Hint.......get them in Yale blue and Harvard red mixed colors.
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:54 am

You just made PFS
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football