PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I've Got a Treat for the Oldtimers (2 in Fact)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I've Got a Treat for the Oldtimers

Postby mrydel » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Dwan wrote:Man, that is a really small OL we had. Averaged about 250? It's amazing how much bigger players have gotten.

My redshirt soph year I was 197 and the second largest player on defense.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:59 pm

SMU was pretty big for the time period-and Meyer was ahead of his time-as he said he wasn't looking to recruit the best high school athletes-he was looking for NFL guys. Also impressed by guys like Reggie Dupard getting a bunch of carries at FB and kick-return and he made a huge play on punt defense. 3rd team RB-good depth I'd say. Anthony Beverley was also contributing as a freshman-such great depth in Offensive Line-usually SMU rotated the 2nd string OLine for a series each half-all of them.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:08 pm

For those kickers out there don't forget it was all downhill for Texas after Raul Allegre totally over-celebrated the FG.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Stallion » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Yeah he beat us the year before 9-7 in Dallas with the same ole jump-and I actually think the 1981 team was SMU's best team. We kicked the [deleted] out of everybody in 1981 while we had to survive 5-6 comebacks in 1982. We had graduated a ton a great talent like All-Americans Harvey Armstrong, John Simmons plus Byron Hunt, Rickey Bolden who all played in the NFL plus All SWC Eric Ferguson and Perry Hartnett. That's some major talent.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Topper » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:59 pm

As far as our OL was concerned, we actually got much bigger by the year of the DP. Dave Richards and some of those mega sized guys were on the roster. I specifically remember an NFL broadcast announcer commenting on the Chargers' offensive line that season. He said "they are almost as big as SMU's"
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Enjoyed the game, thanks for posting. Is Brewer, Texas QB, the father of Cade or Charlie or neither?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:36 pm

Stallion wrote:Yeah he beat us the year before 9-7 in Dallas with the same ole jump-and I actually think the 1981 team was SMU's best team. We kicked the [deleted] out of everybody in 1981 while we had to survive 5-6 comebacks in 1982. We had graduated a ton a great talent like All-Americans Harvey Armstrong, John Simmons plus Byron Hunt, Rickey Bolden who all played in the NFL plus All SWC Eric Ferguson and Perry Hartnett. That's some major talent.

I thought that quite a few times myself, about the 1981 team being better than the 1982 Squad.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby masterbeater » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Back in the day when the Mustang Band could play Peruna continuously during SMU scoring drives (since outlawed by the NCAA). They had a freshman designated as the Peruna counter, and his/her job was to count the number of times the fight song was played in each game. They were playing at a ridiculous approximate 200 beats per minute at the end of the game. Good times!
masterbeater
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:50 pm

AusTxPony wrote:Enjoyed the game, thanks for posting. Is Brewer, Texas QB, the father of Cade or Charlie or neither?

Yes Brewer is the father of Charlie Brewer-and married Rob Moerschell's sister who started at QB the prior year and was returning punts in this game

Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:17 am

Stallion wrote:Yeah he beat us the year before 9-7 in Dallas with the same ole jump-and I actually think the 1981 team was SMU's best team. We kicked the [deleted] out of everybody in 1981 while we had to survive 5-6 comebacks in 1982. We had graduated a ton a great talent like All-Americans Harvey Armstrong, John Simmons plus Byron Hunt, Rickey Bolden who all played in the NFL plus All SWC Eric Ferguson and Perry Hartnett. That's some major talent.

What I remembered about our D was its incredible team speed which limited the amount of big plays against us. Opposing RB might break free for a 30-yard gain, but against most defenses it would have been a 70-yard TD run.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Dukie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:01 pm

I'd forgotten how late so much of the scoring happened in that game. And that Broyles called Peruna "Purina."

That was a million years ago, ugh.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Dukie wrote:I'd forgotten how late so much of the scoring happened in that game.

Oh I know it was so much tighter than I remembered
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Mustang1980 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:50 pm

While reliving Pony Express glories, we'd be remiss to leave this play out .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiF9KXnIcwE
The Sun Rises in St. Simons!
Mustang1980
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Never seen that version before.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby BUS » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:57 am