PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Grades

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Grades

Postby ojaipony » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:48 am

There are so many unknowns with the transfers, etc, but I thought it'd be fun to grade each area of our team as we move into Fall Camp and then look back and re-grade at the end of the year. Plus, I'd rather do this than work so what the hell:

OFFENSE (overall grade: A-, great skill, some unknowns on the OL)

WR: A++ (best trio we've had in a very very long time -- possibly ever, can be that special . . . Sutton/Quinn/Proche. And some good depth too in Thomas/Benson/Honey)
RB: A++ (best group and depth we've had post DP IMHO in Jones/Freeman/West/Thomas).
OL: B- (hard to know with all the RS FR and transfers - really depends on how good the Oregon St transfer will be and how well Kadarius and Todora play - I know that Brown and Pursley will be rock solid and Saena has plenty of PT but outside of that I don't know. I have high hopes so that's why such a high grade here even with all the unknowns, have some depth also in Natour/Webb/Hyder/Wilds/Barton in a pinch . . . assuming all the, very good, FR RS).
QB: B (with this skill, we just need someone who can make the throws and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers/make good decisions/and possibly run every once in a while). I have confidence, though, that whomever plays will have earned it and thus will at least play at a "B" level.
TE: B (big question mark here, but we have good depth - hope Epps can bring it and guys like Rau and Becker can step up - also don't forget about Mitchell Kaufman - I like him as a solid role/utility type player).

DEFENSE: (overall a C, still not enough depth on the interior and too much youth elsewhere)
DE: A- (Lawler is probably the best player on the defensive side and I think we'll be okay on the other side with either Badejo/Mixon/Neals/Scott plenty of good depth there, heck even Thedford . . . probably best shape position-wise on the defensive side of the ball . . . if I knew how good Mixon will be I'd maybe bump this up, but not sure but depth makes up for the unknown there IMHO).
DT: C+ (too many unknowns but we have some ok depth here at least for the first time in forever in Gentry/Gary/Williams/Biggurs/Jones (hopefully)/McLaurin (hopefully) ... assume Gipson/Loveless/Ndkuwe all redshirt - they need to)
LB: C- (ok, here is where it starts kinda falling apart - IF Spears can be the real deal this could bump up quite a bit. Rhone is experienced and great attitude, just limited ability ... Ward is an unknown, Dukes is intriguing but unknown and Mitchell and Williams have experience now at the star, McQueen is also intriguing but unknown ... some potential here but I'm not expecting this group to be very good . . . another reason why we needed Moore to play RIGHT AWAY, that guy is a stud. oh well).
CB: C+ (I'm somewhat hopeful here in Wyatt and Sutton holding it down, but I might be over confident - Sutton is an unknown. We have others also like K Johnson and C Davis who are interesting but not sure quite yet about how good they are/can be. Jeanlys is kind of a nonfactor IMHO and it's a damn shame I'm not hearing more about Lancaster, who I personally think could be very good here.)
Safety: C (there is a lot of potential here in Onu, who I think can be very good but he's still kind of unknown being so young. Clemons has experience now, but I don't think he's all that great. Maybe Michael Clark rises to the occasion or one of the other Star positions shine and we can put McQueen at safety where he might thrive more).

SPECIAL TEAMS:
Grade: C- (can't get any worse, can it? and we have a new kicker I think who can challenge for some PT which is always a good thing IMHO. given another year in the system I hope we can improve here).
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Grades

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 am

Assuming a 4 point scale - you just gave this team a 2.6 gpa.

Hope we are better than that in the end - but that might be about accurate.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JoeKidd » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:15 pm

2.6 is a C+ almost B-.....a B- with this schedule should get us to 7 wins and I'll take it. Maybe only 6, but either way I believe we're bowling and once again moving back towards relevancy.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Hoover: "Half the Frats on campus didn't make grades last semester"
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:39 pm

Stallion wrote:Hoover: "Half the Frats on campus didn't make grades last semester"

Confirmed by Dean Wormer.
Bergermeister

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:50 pm

BTW - I just took the time to Grade the UNC Tarheels football program position by position. Have a quick read on my analysis.

OFFENSE
WR: A
RB: A
OL: A
QB: A
TE: A

DEFENSE
DE: A
DT: A
LB: A
CB: A
Safety: A

SPECIAL TEAMS:
Grade: A
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:06 pm

PonyTime wrote:BTW - I just took the time to Grade the UNC Tarheels football program position by position. Have a quick read on my analysis.

OFFENSE
WR: A
RB: A
OL: A
QB: A
TE: A

DEFENSE
DE: A
DT: A
LB: A
CB: A
Safety: A

SPECIAL TEAMS:
Grade: A

As much supporting evidence as a Paper Class final project.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:46 pm

ojaipony wrote:There are so many unknowns with the transfers, etc, but I thought it'd be fun to grade each area of our team as we move into Fall Camp and then look back and re-grade at the end of the year. Plus, I'd rather do this than work so what the hell:

OFFENSE (overall grade: A-, great skill, some unknowns on the OL)

WR: A++ (best trio we've had in a very very long time -- possibly ever, can be that special . . . Sutton/Quinn/Proche. And some good depth too in Thomas/Benson/Honey)
RB: A++ (best group and depth we've had post DP IMHO in Jones/Freeman/West/Thomas).
OL: B- (hard to know with all the RS FR and transfers - really depends on how good the Oregon St transfer will be and how well Kadarius and Todora play - I know that Brown and Pursley will be rock solid and Saena has plenty of PT but outside of that I don't know. I have high hopes so that's why such a high grade here even with all the unknowns, have some depth also in Natour/Webb/Hyder/Wilds/Barton in a pinch . . . assuming all the, very good, FR RS).
QB: B (with this skill, we just need someone who can make the throws and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers/make good decisions/and possibly run every once in a while). I have confidence, though, that whomever plays will have earned it and thus will at least play at a "B" level.
TE: B (big question mark here, but we have good depth - hope Epps can bring it and guys like Rau and Becker can step up - also don't forget about Mitchell Kaufman - I like him as a solid role/utility type player).

DEFENSE: (overall a C, still not enough depth on the interior and too much youth elsewhere)
DE: A- (Lawler is probably the best player on the defensive side and I think we'll be okay on the other side with either Badejo/Mixon/Neals/Scott plenty of good depth there, heck even Thedford . . . probably best shape position-wise on the defensive side of the ball . . . if I knew how good Mixon will be I'd maybe bump this up, but not sure but depth makes up for the unknown there IMHO).
DT: C+ (too many unknowns but we have some ok depth here at least for the first time in forever in Gentry/Gary/Williams/Biggurs/Jones (hopefully)/McLaurin (hopefully) ... assume Gipson/Loveless/Ndkuwe all redshirt - they need to)
LB: C- (ok, here is where it starts kinda falling apart - IF Spears can be the real deal this could bump up quite a bit. Rhone is experienced and great attitude, just limited ability ... Ward is an unknown, Dukes is intriguing but unknown and Mitchell and Williams have experience now at the star, McQueen is also intriguing but unknown ... some potential here but I'm not expecting this group to be very good . . . another reason why we needed Moore to play RIGHT AWAY, that guy is a stud. oh well).
CB: C+ (I'm somewhat hopeful here in Wyatt and Sutton holding it down, but I might be over confident - Sutton is an unknown. We have others also like K Johnson and C Davis who are interesting but not sure quite yet about how good they are/can be. Jeanlys is kind of a nonfactor IMHO and it's a damn shame I'm not hearing more about Lancaster, who I personally think could be very good here.)
Safety: C (there is a lot of potential here in Onu, who I think can be very good but he's still kind of unknown being so young. Clemons has experience now, but I don't think he's all that great. Maybe Michael Clark rises to the occasion or one of the other Star positions shine and we can put McQueen at safety where he might thrive more).

SPECIAL TEAMS:
Grade: C- (can't get any worse, can it? and we have a new kicker I think who can challenge for some PT which is always a good thing IMHO. given another year in the system I hope we can improve here).

Into the great unknown.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Stallion wrote:Hoover: "Half the Frats on campus didn't make grades last semester"

Fat Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through a football season....or is it?
gostangs

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:05 pm

gostangs wrote:

Fat Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through a football season....or is it?
That is how I have been doing it for years. I will change to try and help the team. I will give up drunk.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:57 pm

I was so scared this was an eligibility thread like we used to constantly have in basketball...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:14 pm

If our OL and QB get a B, we will be a very good offense. The run first offense, improved OL and stable of backs will take pressure off of QB to perform.

Defense I think we will really surprise. My predictions:
- Lawler, Badejo, Gary combo is going to be very disruptive on the DL and give us one of the better d-lines in conference. B+ unit overall.
- The secondary I think will also be one of the better units in conference. Wyatt is a stud, and Sutton and Davis are both good. Lots of depth and lots of speed at corner. McQueen was amazing in the spring and is a game-changing playmaker. We have lots of depth at safety as well. B/B+.

If the QB/OL play well, the offense will be a B+/A-. I actually think the Defense will be a solid B, one of the better units in conference.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:26 am

What about that big open spot between the DL and DB? Ask Navy if that can be exploited.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:56 am

mrydel wrote:What about that big open spot between the DL and DB? Ask Navy if that can be exploited.

Not sure that Navy is even aware... that we have linebackers. :lol:
ALEX LIFESON

Postby malonish » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am

"Coach Ken, why did SMU only play with 9 players on the field?"
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81: