PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CTE found in 99% of studied brains from deceased NFL players

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: CTE found in 99% of studied brains from deceased NFL pla

Postby Nacho » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:11 am

malonish wrote:Versus what % in the normal population? (I say before reading btw)

For example, 100% of deceased football players will have formaldehyde in their blood but that doesn't make them unique.

since cte is by definition trauma induced the "normal population" would not be expected to have a nearly 100% rate of cte. dementia in its various forms increases exponentially for each passing decade. unless someone has a history of repeated head injury the incidence of cte in the general population should be about zero.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JoeKidd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:19 am

Separating CTE from Concussions for a moment. I believe the steep increase in concussions over the last decade or so can be attributed primarily to the rise of artificial fields. I saw some statistics that over half of concussions in the latest study were due to impact with the ground. For those that have played on both artificial fields and grass fields there is a big difference between the two....even with today's better Field-Turf artificial product.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby malonish » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Nacho wrote:
malonish wrote:Versus what % in the normal population? (I say before reading btw)

For example, 100% of deceased football players will have formaldehyde in their blood but that doesn't make them unique.

since cte is by definition trauma induced the "normal population" would not be expected to have a nearly 100% rate of cte. dementia in its various forms increases exponentially for each passing decade. unless someone has a history of repeated head injury the incidence of cte in the general population should be about zero.

So going off of that, what studies are being done that confirm the instances of CTE in GenPop is near zero? That's the problem with it. There's no Delta between civvies and people in fields of work with a lot of impact.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:55 pm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995699/

try to wrap your mind around the fact that cte Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy by definition is caused by...wait for it... Trauma.
Nacho

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:02 pm

They need to check the civilian head bangers
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Nacho » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:17 pm

I don't know what % of the population with repeated head trauma will get cte.
what we do know is that the latest study done on nfl players shows that essentially 100% have gotten it. a very sobering figure.
Nacho

Postby Nacho » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:28 pm

in boxers it's interesting that it takes about 20 fights before cte develops.
Nacho

Postby malonish » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Nacho wrote:I don't know what % of the population with repeated head trauma will get cte.
what we do know is that the latest study done on nfl players shows that essentially 100% have gotten it. a very sobering figure.

100% of those that have donated themselves for autopsy*. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe...wait for it...Trauma causes CTE. Don't be condescending lol. There just needs to be a more complete picture on the situation. In an ideal world with infinite budget, every dead person would get an autopsy and fully examined for the goal of bettering our knowledge about our bodies. Don't fault me for being curious about a puzzle with missing pieces. I know the 1000 pieces make a bridge over the creek in the countryside but I'm missing a couple hundo.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Junior » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:15 pm

edwa wrote:Get rid off all padding, rugby doesnt face half the problems football does.

I think the difference is that rugby players just usually die in bar brawls before hte long-term effects of CTE set in.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby mathman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:38 pm

mrydel wrote:
ponyboy wrote:People will adjust their behavior to their perceived level of risk. Take helmets off and we'll still have the same number of concussions. Encase players in bubble wrap, same level of concussions. Add air bags to cars, same level of accidents -- just untold millions wasted.

Just not true. I have played tackle football with no pads, soccer, rugby. Never suffered an injury until
I put on the equipment that made me "invulnerable ".

And how would airbags stop accidents? They are designed to save lives in the accidents. I have flipped a car going 70 mph and an airbag saved my life. It was too inanimate to stop the accident.

Glad I'm not your insurance agent.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:28 pm

mrydel wrote:
ponyboy wrote:People will adjust their behavior to their perceived level of risk. Take helmets off and we'll still have the same number of concussions. Encase players in bubble wrap, same level of concussions. Add air bags to cars, same level of accidents -- just untold millions wasted.

Just not true. I have played tackle football with no pads, soccer, rugby. Never suffered an injury until
I put on the equipment that made me "invulnerable ".

And how would airbags stop accidents? They are designed to save lives in the accidents. I have flipped a car going 70 mph and an airbag saved my life. It was too inanimate to stop the accident.

Risk compensation theory. You wouldn't have been driving 70 if you didn't know there was the possibility that the airbags would save you if you crashed. https://www.damninteresting.com/the-balance-of-risk/
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:29 am

I was driving the speed limit. The stupid airbags just did not anticipate the car in front hitting an orange construction barrel blown over by wind, knocking it in front of my car, causing my car to catapult over the barrel and flip.

Before airbags I drove 90 mph. I guess the airbags make me drive too slow.
mrydel

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks for the correction. I'm not here to tell you what your personal motivations are. But you are one data point.
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 am

I do not think I am a data point. I am part Czech.
mrydel

Postby malonish » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:15 am

What about a Block of data? I'm sure mrydel knows all about that :mrgreen:
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81: