PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Expectations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Expectations

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Almost everyone is touting the Mustangs as a bowl team at worst. Are we being led down the trail of tears, or is this team as good as advertised? Long term fans of SMU will probably undervalue it since we have a history of great expectations unrealized, but others (coaches and pundits) are not shy in raising them. What do you think? Go ahead and get on the bandwagon? I guess I'll tentatively take the leap.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: Expectations

Postby sbsmith » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:20 pm

The team has been advertised as 6-6/7-5 so yeah they're about that good. I haven't seen anyone saying we're going to win the division/conference or anything crazy like that. Great expectations will be realized next season.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Since 2012 I have been as pessimistic about this program as anyone, but if the things I'm being told are true, this could truly be a breakthrough season. Supposedly, for the first time in a long time we have quality depth at most positions on both sides of the ball. And we might have a superstar at the most important position.

I still have my concerns with how Morris calls a game but it appears he has massively upgraded the talent on this team. With this schedule, I can see us winning 8 or 9.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby footballdad » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:24 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Since 2012 I have been as pessimistic about this program as anyone, but if the things I'm being told are true, this could truly be a breakthrough season. Supposedly, for the first time in a long time we have quality depth at most positions on both sides of the ball. And we might have a superstar at the most important position.

I still have my concerns with how Morris calls a game but it appears he has massively upgraded the talent on this team. With this schedule, I can see us winning 8 or 9.

Sutton the only superstar. Never heard WR called the most important position.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Nothing wrong with being nervous, especially with our history. But I take a pretty simple look at it.

We won five games last year, which is about what we should have won.
We should take a step forward as a team this year.
We have an easier schedule.
This means we should win about 7 games.

Legitimate improvement. That's all we can ask for at this point. No reason not to look forward to that.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:46 am

Sutton is an incredible talent and our best pro prospect in decades but I wasn't referring to him. I said the most important position. I know you have an agenda with everything you post so you won't agree but I'm just going on what I've been told by people who don't sugercoat things.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:51 am

If we win less than 6 or 7 games, it would be time to question CCM
Pony ^

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:07 am

sbsmith wrote: Great expectations will be realized next season.

As usual.
Bergermeister

Postby Fresno Mustang » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:59 am

Pony ^ wrote:If we win less than 6 or 7 games, it would be time to question CCM

Agreed. But I dont believe that will be the case... there is no reason not to be able to be bowl eligible with the combination of talent (especially on offense) and schedule.

I think there is a stretch of four games that will determine what type of season this team has:
@Houston
@Cincinatti
Vs Tulsa
Vs UCF

We have a very good shot at being 4-1 going into that stretch and after that we have Navy Memphis and Tulane and unless Van Malone figured out over the off-season how to stop memphis and Navy I dont see us winning those two games.

The other wild card on the schedule is the TCU game I think. If SMU has a QB that has won the job at that point and is playing well and conversely if TCU is struggling with Kenny Hill / Shawn Robinson playing as a freshman we might just have a shot at the upset there.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby longbuzzer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 am

As Landry used to say about the NFL. improving from 2 wins to 10 is all about upgrading personnel, after 10 wins, it is about coaching.

Applying this to college football, we have upgraded our talent, and still need to continue to do so. I'll worry about coaching when we step up one more level in players.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:20 am

We should make a bowl. If we don't, I'll be disappointed. If we win more than 7 games, I'll be very pleasantly surprised. And I agree those 2 games against Cincy and Tulsa will be the deciding factor. The schedule, on paper, looks easier but everyone in the AAC has gotten better and Arky State is a toss up IMHO. So, yeah, 6-7 wins. And the offense will be fun to watch.
ojaipony

Postby skyscraper » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:52 am

A bowl is expected. Anything less would be disappointing given the creampuff non-con scheduling.
skyscraper

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:52 pm

SMU gets to 9 wins. 8 regular season and a bowl win.
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smitty329 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Pony ^ wrote:If we win less than 6 or 7 games, it would be time to question CCM

... and the lack of an IPF.
smitty329
All-American

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:19 pm

I think SMU has 3 more budding super-stars

1. James Proche-his freshman numbers project to national recognition as a Senior-and compares to just about anyone we've had around here as a freshman. I don't think he's tapped his full potential yet either
2, RB (insert starter). We've got Jones who has 800 yards in his first 13 games, Braden a 1,000 rusher as a Sophomore and a third stringer that just might beat them out once he learns the position
3. Demmerick Gary-I guess we'll have to see how he handles moving inside and adding weight but so far he's on the right projection.

Arguably, Justin Lawler is close to reaching the superstar level now-he may get there will a great Senior year
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Next

Return to Football